Yet Another...wait, this one has fins!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I was poking across the web one day, and ran across a picture of the S. Korean Hsuing Feng 3 surface-air missile. I thought this might be a good build, esp. if I can make the ducts work. Not actually function as a ram jet, just flow air...

Hsiung Feng-3.JPG

So I started with a basic 4FNC:

hf1.jpg

then cut some vents for the air to exit (no centering ring ar aft end of rocket)

hf2.jpg

there's a ring of card stock inside the aft section of body tube to stiffen it

hf4.jpg

And then I made the ducts, forming them over a nice piece of bubinga I just happened to have laying around

hf5.jpg

this was a fairly complicated build, the angled portion needed some reinforcement to make the joint easier to put together

hf6.jpg

Next time, I glue the ducts on!

Got one duct tacked on (glue drops in three places) just to see how it will look. I think this might be a winner as far as looks...

duct1.jpg

duct 2.jpg

duct3.jpg

Ooh...very nice! I thought the same for possibly the TLP Krypton as well as for a Tomahawk cruise missile (the latter basically using the belly scoop to have air exit out that same side further down to counter the drag from the scoop.

BTW - LOVE the thread title! :grin:

Back