3D Printing Yet Another Switch Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, My son designed this after I gave him my specs. I wanted on that used 4-40 nuts and 4-40 - 1/2" screws. The final product is the last image. The demo one print wrong but you can use ti to visualize the nuts. I printed the print around the nuts (added them during the process.

Printed without wires soldered on:
IMG_1018.jpeg

Top of the switch without a screw:
IMG_1017.jpeg

Bottom of the switch:
IMG_1016.jpeg
The groves on the side are for the wires.

Final product:
IMG_1014.jpeg

I have at least 3 more potential types of switches. I love this stuff.

Well done. So you pause the print and place the nut in the part and then continue? I've paused and continued prints with good results but only to check on dimensions or something similar. Do you just watch the print and pause it at the right time or do you modify the gcode to pause automatically? Really a neat idea.

Tony

Well done. So you pause the print and place the nut in the part and then continue? I've paused and continued prints with good results but only to check on dimensions or something similar. Do you just watch the print and pause it at the right time or do you modify the gcode to pause automatically? Really a neat idea.

Tony

That is exactly what I do. Start, pause, insert nut, restart, pause, insert nut, restart to completion of print. It is all done in the G code.

Chuck, I was thinking about this over the week-end.

Why not have your switch design in 3 parts. the two lower parts have a hex hole for the nut, and a channel for the wire. (and these two can be the same part) The top is rounded to fit a BT. Solder your wire to the nuts, drop them into their hole. Then, stack the parts and seam weld the pars with a soldering iron.. or glue. Might make for a neater design, easier to fabricate & such..

The first one is complete. I am working on an update that is printed in sections and glued together.

I am also working on another design.

Back