Yet another 5" Jart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For Christmas, my oldest son surprised me with a 5" Jart -- Alex called Tim, asking for help in what to get me. Tim asked him his budget, and gave him a great deal on the Jart.

It's been languishing long enough, Time To Start Building!

I'm building this mostly stock (sorry, Manny). My only modification will be to place a couple tubes in the coupler, where I can place a tracker and/or altimeter. I use LOC 38mm tubing for this, as it's lightweight, inexpensive, easy to cut, and works well for this task.

The first thing I did was cut a 1/4" plywood bulkhead to go in the upper end of the coupler. That gets epoxied in, and the tubes epoxied to that. The G10 bulkhead will be removable, and serves as the caps for the tube electronics tubes.

IMG_1106.jpg

I've also marked the motor mount for where I want the centering rings, then placed rings of tape on it, to keep the rings from sliding out of position, while the epoxy cures. The tape will then be removed, later, and fillets applied on the bottom side.

IMG_1105.jpg

After everything has been fitted, it's time to mix up a batch of snot, er, I mean epoxy -- using AeroPoxy construction adhesive, and it's about the consistency of snot....except on a warm day, in which case it liquifies to a molasses consistency.

Everything gets epoxied in place, with a plastic spoon used as a handy applicator, and time to let it sit and cure!

IMG_1107.jpgIMG_1108.jpg

I've got the space heater going in the build room, to bring the temp up a bit. Tonight, I might be able to do a bit more.

-Kevin

Neat idea but loc tubes in a fiberglass rocket. How dare you soil it?

Should have mine in January to build. Seems like SB5 would be a good place to have a drag race.
Your engine call if you dare.

Wayne

We'll see. Drag races aren't generally my thing.

-Kevin

Hey Kevin:

According to the Wildman Pledge, that makes you a MILDMAN........we all know another word for that...

:>

A Mildman plays with his Jart, but there are TWO... so he must have been drag racing with someone!

mildman.jpg

I think I recognize those people. :)

Someone has been reading some magazines!

-Kevin

Sure have... treasure trove of information!!!

That picture begs to have a caption contest... something like "hey.. now you skewered that frog.. watch me inflate him!"

Now kevin

If you let Terry supply the large overhanging drag decals then you might have more to enjoy at SB5.

Wayne

Well I'm getting there. Almost done with mine. Just have to inject the internals and slather on the externals, then make the nosecone cord attachment. Got the Aeropack installed too. I might actually be able to fly this this year!

Motor mount installed, fins tacked in place.

IMG_1109.jpg

Here, I'm about to epoxy the coupler into the nosecone -- first, I inserted it and made a pencil line, to show have far it slides in. I then sanded the inside of the nosecone, to give the epoxy something to grab onto. Mixed up a small batch of epoxy, thickened it ever so slightly, then used the mixing stick to spread a thin layer inside the nosecone, where the coupler will go. Finally, I spread a thin layer on the coupler, up to the pencil line, shoved the coupler in, gave it a twist, and done! Well, other than wiping up the small bit of excess that squeezed out, as I installed the coupler.

IMG_1110.jpg

-Kevin

My order hasn't come yet, and in the mean time I'm upgrading my storage facilities. Can one of you with Jart-in-hand tell me the fin-tip to fin-tip distance? Thanks.

My order hasn't come yet, and in the mean time I'm upgrading my storage facilities. Can one of you with Jart-in-hand tell me the fin-tip to fin-tip distance? Thanks.

Center of motor mount to fin tip is 8" (semi-span is 5.5"), so the circumference of the fin tips is 16".

-Kevin

Today, I dropped by the hardware store and picked up a piece of 1/4" allthread, as well as some thread lock.

First, I screwed the allthread into the nosecone, then inserted it all the way through, so I knew where it came out of the coupler. That spot was marked, and then cut. A bit of thread lock was put into the tip of the nosecone, and the allthread screwed on, then everything inserted back through. A bit more threadlock, then I dropped a washer and nut on from inside the coupler, and screwed that down tight. That keeps the tip of the nosecone in place, as well as the allthread.

IMG_1111.jpg

I then marked and drilled holes for a U-bolt on the G10 bulkhead, plus drilled a hole through the backing plate. Nuts and washers, and the U-bolt is permanently installed on the bulkhead.

By doing it this way, the backing plate on the U-bolt serves to keep the U-bolt from pulling through the bulkhead, as well as a washer to keep the bulkhead from pulling off the all-thread.

IMG_1112.jpg

I intentionally left the all-thread a bit long, as I will double-nut it during flight.

-Kevin

Here it is, fully built, and ready to fly!

IMG_1115.jpg

I think I might have to call it Anti-Manny. :)

-Kevin

I like the name! What motors are you gonna use?

I'm not sure, yet. Because of how I did the bay in the nose, I'm likely limited to 5g. Still lots of good options.

Denis - I need to put it on the scale.

-Kevin

Well I'm getting there. Almost done with mine. Just have to inject the internals and slather on the externals, then make the nosecone cord attachment. Got the Aeropack installed too. I might actually be able to fly this this year!

"I say, nice Balls sir " <english accent>

Actually what caught my eye is the cool Honest John Box and large components in back .

Kenny

Without going into the specifics as to why I ask this question...were there any 5" Jart kits made up in black?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know.

Mr Rico- Why thank you! I had to look at my own picture to see why that was referenced :eek: I never even noticed those. I have two of those Honest Johns and 2 Maxi V2's (re release). All four are just laying around taunting me. The other project is a PML 1/2 scale Patriot. Someday I'll throw some 'glass on that bugger and get it built (with a 4" hole of course :dark: ).

Old_dude and Rocket kid- I can't say for sure no, but I did see a huge pile of new 5" Jart tubes fresh from the slotter at Tim's house/evil lair/workshop yesterday. They were standard color, sorry.

Adrian

Without going into the specifics as to why I ask this question...were there any 5" Jart kits made up in black?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know.

Edit: Looks like someone got a black one.

-Kevin

Last edited:
very sexy! some V2 look and feel ? great bird. weight?

4.8lbs, about 2.2Kg

That's without recovery. I also have a couple extra internal tubes, a long piece of threaded rod, and an extra bulkhead, so mine is a bit heavier than stock.

-Kevin

Back