Yet another 38mm min diameter rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about these super-high G flights. Is it possible the propellant grains collapsed under that kind of load? Is that a thing?

That’s the leading theory. Didn’t glue the grains in for that flight but did the second time around. When they were glued in the motor performed flawlessly

Can't say about his, but I fly AT H-999N that hits 283 g's and all is well. At least so far, knock on wood.

Did you have an accelerometer on board that could measure that? One of my goals is to eventually get something that can at the very least record the extremely high Gs that flights like this can achieve. I have plans on increasing the G loads even more to hopefully break over 350 Gs, but I want to record that data as well.

Jolly Logic Alt II, but it was blanked out. Couldn't handle the g's. But I am going off what Rocksim said. It hit Mach 1.1 before it left the rail :)

Fastest I could go was a measured 137Gs and that is with Rocksim estimating 230Gs. Expected and achieved altitudes were comparable, only the Gs were off. From several high G flights with the same rocket I notice that Rocksim and Openrocket start to greatly exaggerate the Gs around 100Gs. That rocket was built like a tank to survive anything. So it is possible to have a lighter one.....

That’s the leading theory. Didn’t glue the grains in for that flight but did the second time around. When they were glued in the motor performed flawlessly
Interesting. Can you clarify that? Glue the grains to what? The liner? Each other? Both?

The problem is the paint job. The more time spent on paint, the higher the chance of cato or shread. Couple coats of primer and couple coats of clear and you are good. ;)

What if I told you, none of these were painted. So by your logic, the chance of cato should be 0. But yet all of my HPR catos have been on rocket with no paint whatsoever. ;)

Back