Yes... The Interceptor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever_Metal

JustAnotherBAR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks TRF for all of the help! I'll have a Int-E in my hands by weeks end! Before it gets built, I'll update an OR file and release it for all to see. Then we'll start talking about a 5.5" upscale!!!

fm

Need help from TRF...

Am looking for a plan for the Estes Interceptor, specifically the G model from ncr; but will take anything and scale it myself if needed.

If you know of a post or a source, please pm or post it in response.

Would really be appreciative if you have an un-built kit that i could get dimensions off of, even better!!!

Thanks again TRF!

fm

Last edited:
I have the plans for the NCR version. They were shared with me by someone here on TRF. It is a large pdf file. Pm me an email address.

I'm home from my work trip and I've responded to the PM's for plans this morning. MikeyR.Saginaw provided me with the copy.

oooohhhhh, you are all really gonna love this... (well, at least I hope you do...)

I got my hands on an original instruction manual, :clap:
and took dimensions straight outta the bird, :wink:
and the OR file (without decals anyway) is almost done, :headbang:
BUT...
I'm trying to do the decal thing, but it's a nightmare... :facepalm::bang::rant:

How do you get urs looking so good Ktesh?

fm

Last edited:
How do you get urs looking so good Ktesh?

In case you haven't seen it: OR Decals Tutorial

The hard part with the Interceptor is that there are a lot of (not so) small decals that need to be first composited together in a single image file to make up the main body wrap. The same might be true of the wings. No shortcuts for that.

The nose cone wrap is a special case, and has its own weirdness. It's very hard to explain. When you get to that point, we can probably fight through that part together.

Would a scan of the decal sheets help? One of the sheets is pretty long, not sure if our copier can scan it in one piece or not.

I'm curious, did you manage to find a kit for sale or someone local that let you examine their kit?

Would a scan of the decal sheets help? One of the sheets is pretty long, not sure if our copier can scan it in one piece or not.

I'm curious, did you manage to find a kit for sale or someone local that let you examine their kit?

I got hooked up by a non-TRF member who let me see the instruction manual and the balsa sheets so I could measure it out. I offered to buy it (quite a bit for an E kit), but he's starting his build (story of my life). This bird and it's II/E/G variants are the one thing I will be kicking myself for the rest of whats left of my life...

I would appreciate a hi-res color scale scan if you can swing it. Accr8 and SS23 probably have some wraps i could use, but would like to make 1 original E before upscaling to 5.5"

Thanks!

fm

hey you party peeps out there in plan land... check this out!!

I have the first file of the Interceptor ready for your looking pleasure... Introducing the pods! Yes, yes i know ~ It's a start

I finally had some time to finish and polish it up! But don't worry, the main fuselage is coming along great! I'll have that one in about a week after we move!!

:headbang:Enjoy All!:headbang:

View attachment Interceptor(pods).ork

and now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

I present to you, the Interceptor...:clap::clap: <- closest I could get to thunderous applause...

Please feel free to take a look and improve upon this base file, but I do ask that you return the favor and let me know what and how you improved upon it (so I can change mine too).

Enjoy all!

fm

ps. blame this all on Ktesh... I'm building files on all 30 of my built/as yet unbuit kits

View attachment Interceptor.ork

Last edited:
Cool.

If you're interested, there are two things you can do to enhance it (other than decals :)).

First, you can hack/approximate the pod nose and tail cones by putting in some fins with the approximately correct profile. It's not perfect but it does allow you to get the weights in as needed and gives a hint about the overall appearance.

Second, you could get a very rough approximate hack of the fins on the pods. You can't get the fin shape correct but they're close enough to square that it doesn't look bad.

I put both into the attached files; didn't try to be particularly accurate with the measurements or weights or anything because I don't know them, just showing the technique. You can decide if you want to fold those into your file and make them accurate.

One final note: I'd put the pods on a separate placeholder from the antennae, since they're really unrelated. I didn't make the change in my own file, but my suggestion would be to implement the pods as tube fins and put them on the same placeholder as the pod nose and tail cones.

Have fun, and get to work on those decals! :wink:

attachment.php

View attachment Interceptor_update.ork

interceptor_update.png

Thanks for the update Neil_W!!!

Yep, when I get my home i-net working again I'll make the updates.

I like to take actuals (unfinished, ie no sealer, adhesive, paint) from an un-built kit. My hope is that whoever looks at this file will be able to closely dupe the rocket so they can have their own. I got lucky and found a source for both the int and int-e, and before I build them, I wanted to capture as much data as I could; hence the original file.

Tanks again!!

fm

Back