Yep, I am addicted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimlock3000

Reaction score
In a relatively short period of time, rockets have began taking over my house :) To date I have lost an Estes Wizard, Bandit, Alpha III, Sizzler and Swift 220. The only flyable model I currently have is a Baby Bertha that has managed to survive 5 flights (yay!). I have a Estes Partiot, Paveway III, Big Daddy, and Quest Superbird that need to be painted and finished. And I have an unopened Stormcaster and Wizard. 12 rocket kits so far, and I already want more! I really want some Semroc and Fliskits models and will likely get them soon :rolleyes:

My finishing skills are really getting better and that is really what keeps me buying Estes from local places. Every rocket I paint and finish, I add more steps to the process. Now I am up to using wood sealer on the fins and fillets to make them smooth, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, clear coating...

oh... ...i see you have discovered the "prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, smooth, touchup, sand.... " model rocketeers dance... :D

Glad to have you "in for a dollar" :D There are certainly *worse* things you could become adicted to... ...like R/C...

my bad... LOL Ok, no flames from the R/C crowed, i'm guilty of slipping to the dark side occationally myself...

(man, i'm gonna pay for that one... LOL)

In my opinion, Semroc and Fliskits kits are the best LPR kits on the market!

I have 10 rockets... But I was hooked from my first flight! :D

Phil

Originally posted by jflis
oh... ...i see you have discovered the "prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, smooth, touchup, sand.... " model rocketeers dance... :D

Glad to have you "in for a dollar" :D There are certainly *worse* things you could become adicted to... ...like R/C...

my bad... LOL Ok, no flames from the R/C crowed, i'm guilty of slipping to the dark side occationally myself...

(man, i'm gonna pay for that one... LOL)

Jim,
It's cool to slip into the darkside once and awhile. Not everyday is the weather good enough to fly rockets. I even I myself use R/C-ing as a back-up hobby. That and I figured the creek by apartment needed some use.

I sorry to tell you that your disease is terminal. You may go into remission, but after incubation the disease comes back worse and is know as BAR.
To be honest though eventually, at least in my case, go crazy over the fact that you must find better and better way to finish your rockets.

If I could keep all my rocket stuff, but get all the money back that I've got sunk into parts, kits, finishing supplies, support equipment, etc -

Man.....................

:kill:

Not to mention the boat payment, my show kites, and the other toys....

I've been down the dark path of the RC. I get more satisfaction from my new obsessions.

Originally posted by mkmilion
I sorry to tell you that your disease is terminal. You may go into remission, but after incubation the disease comes back worse and is know as BAR.
To be honest though eventually, at least in my case, go crazy over the fact that you must find better and better way to finish your rockets.

Noooo kidding. When this disease returns, it comes with an all consuming desire for paychecks dedicated to AP...it loves the smell of AP in the morning. Or in the afternoon. Or in the evening. You find yourself browsing TRF, EMRR, and ROL at 3 in the morning, checking ROL auctions for any new listings of composites you might be interested in. And all you hear in the back of your head is "certify...certify...certify...H165...certify...certify...J350..." It's an incessant, still, small voice in the back of your head...Obey this voice, or continue it will. Driving you mad, to the brink of a great abyss called "AP Withdrawal" that can be temporarily soothed by clusters of D12s or even C6's, but alas - the effect wears off, and the voices come back yet again stronger than ever, and now they're saying M1319, N2000...It's maddening, I tell you...get out now! Save yourself!!! AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Okay - I feel better. Anyone know where I can find an F40?s

Originally posted by mkmilion

Mk you said it soOOOO well! every now and then (currently) i may get in a non-building and/or flying slump. but it doesn't take long before something sparks that need to burn some motors, or build something....so ya know you're hooked!

Grimlock: keep on collecting... Ya can build em when you retire:D

There are certainly *worse* things you could become adicted to... ...like R/C...

Too late! I have nitro and an electric RCs, a couple of radios, high-torque servos, 12v starter box, nice charger, blah blah blah. I also have nice car stereos for two vehicles (Xtant amps, Diamond Audio, JL, and Image Dynamic speakers...), and to round out the expensive hobbies, I have two fish tanks. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a PS2, XBox, Gamecube, and Gameboy SP + games for each system. I started rocketry to have something cheap to do :p Rocketry has proven cheap, fun, and relaxing so far...

Relaxing except for yesterday, when I managed to drop the nose cone of my Superbird in wet grass after I put on the last coat of gloss red. This was the second rocket that I have dropped while it was covered in wet paint, I was *this* close to smashing the whole thing and throwing it in the river :kill: Instead I waited for it to dry, and sanded it down, and reprimed it. It still needs to be sanded and primed again, but I should get it looking pretty good. And I suppose it is good practice for the next time I drop a rocket after painting it :rolleyes: :(

Baby Bertha with Teflon tape pom-pom and streamer for recovery. I painted this in about 10 minutes with craft paint and foam brushes. This has ben flawless after 5 launches so I wish I painted it better. This will be my wind testing mule until I lose it, then I will get another one and paint it right:

rockets0.jpg

Wizard and Sizzler moments before I lost them. I never even had a chance to paint the Sizzler, it took off on a C6-5 and drifted far, far away. I bought another Wizard:

rockets1.jpg

I flew this Swift 220 unpainted as well. As luck would have it, it landed in a huge patch of dead grass that almost perfectly matched the color of the body tube and balsa. We search for this for a long time, because we knew right where it landed within a few feet. We never did find it though:

rockets5.jpg

Just finished Quest Superbird and Estes Patriot. The Superbird came out really nice, except for the top sticker. The sticker was not on right, so I tried to peel it off and we all know how well that works. One side of the sticker is messed up, but you can not tell in the pic:

rockets2.jpg

My wife painted the Patriot with some bugs...

rockets3.jpg

Big Daddy and Paveway III, waiting to get finished:

rockets4.jpg

Back