Yellow Paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Maybe I'm getting and old the eyes don't see color like they used to...

But I don't think either Ace, Walmart or Krylon Yellow enamel is, well, YELLOW enough. Anybody have any suggestions for some REAL yellow paint? (Not Neon)

Teators, its more expensive then Kyrlon but it works.

Also expect a lot less in a can for about twice the price of Krylon... :(

I used to buy Testors but you get like 1.5 ounces... Or is it 3? for 4 dollars.

When shooting yellow paints, it's almost always best to have a good base of white (or white primer). Even light gray primer makes for a duller yellow. Many yellow paints are notoriously transparent - even with high-end automotive paints.

This rule also applies to neon colors, too - white primer is the rule.

Originally posted by limd21
When shooting yellow paints, it's almost always best to have a good base of white (or white primer). Even light gray primer makes for a duller yellow. Many yellow paints are notoriously transparent - even with high-end automotive paints.

This rule also applies to neon colors, too - white primer is the rule.

That's what I'm doing right now...it's still not...bright enough.

Maybe try white primer, neon yellow, and then yellow?

I don't think clear works over neon yellow.

I have used True Value brand "Sunburst Yellow" or "SunFlower".

John Deere yellow is pretty "yellow". Go to farm supply for that.

Check out my latest clones (the Apogee II is John Deere yellow) in the sctratch built section.

Gimme a minute I have to post the pics.

sandman

Tamiya Yellow (TS-16) is about as "yellow" as "yellow" can be.

I use Krylon clear over Krylon neon yellow and neon orange The neon paints have the ugliest flat finish I know of. Krylon yellow is a pure yellow mix. It's just...yellow.

do it all the time sandman.. walmart clear coat right over the krylon neon yellow and orange... works like a champ... yea yea.. i know mixing brands... but it works no problemo..

I'd post a pic of my stormcaster that is neon yellow..but it lost a fin at the last launch due to a shredded chute..and is still in "touch-up" mode haha

when I get it presentable, i will post it.. also..that pic I posted under the Big-Daddy thread is krylon floro orange with walmart clear over it..

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by sandman
I don't think clear works over neon yellow.

I have used True Value brand "Sunburst Yellow" or "SunFlower".

John Deere yellow is pretty "yellow". Go to farm supply for that.

Check out my latest clones (the Apogee II is John Deere yellow) in the sctratch built section.

Gimme a minute I have to post the pics.

sandman

PER-FECT-O....I'm on my way to....um...that store...you know...with the guys name....rhymes with *art.

Thanks...

Do yourself a favor and check outtestor's and Tamiya's websites - they have color charts that can help you guage colors better.

Just a thought,

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Teators, its more expensive then Kyrlon but it works.

Also expect a lot less in a can for about twice the price of Krylon... :(

I used to buy Testors but you get like 1.5 ounces... Or is it 3? for 4 dollars.

I believe it's because Testors is an enamel paint.
-Matthew

The yellow spray paint from Testors is very yellow. The cost is more(3oz. can) but the paint has more pigment than the other brands!

did you know that they are about 2 to 3x the price of 100W bulbs?

they cost no more to produce, but since they sell so few, storage fees overshadow the production cost, driving the price sky high.

testors doesn't move the volume of paint that Krylon does...

on the same note...
spray paint sells for 8 or 9 dollars a can at the hobby shop...
:eek:

how many buy that?

sunflower yellow seems too orange to me. i like the Krylon OSHA safety yellow for its purity of color.

good luck!

I too was dissapointed by "Walmart" yellow. So I got a can of real yellow by Rustoleum. It even covered the gray primer I had used without any problems.

I had a hard time finding a yellow that was yellow enough until I found Krylon "Fusion" yellow I'll try to post a pic later:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Maybe I'm getting and old the eyes don't see color like they used to...

But I don't think either Ace, Walmart or Krylon Yellow enamel is, well, YELLOW enough. Anybody have any suggestions for some REAL yellow paint? (Not Neon)

1. Rustoleum "American Accents". I used the yellow on my Vulcanite. I'm pleased.

2. Primer. Always.

3. If you can find it, chromate yellow primer. We used to use it for spot covering rust on fuel pipelines. Goes right over anything, great undercoat and highly visible (it's the shade of fluourescent yellow without the fluourescence).

Back