YARD SALE! or why you don't take your skittish dog on launch day

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by AlSteel, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

AlSteel

AlSteel

AlSteel

Yesterday evening was just perfect. 80 degrees, zero breeze, wisps of clouds, and late evening so sun was low. Time to go for a quick launch. Tossed in Der Red Maxxx, trusty Vagabond, the kid, the dog, and off to the park for a quick fly. Got to the park, not a soul around, freshly mowed field, couldn't have paid for a better spot. Quickly got out to the spot, setup the equipment table, the pad, packed and prepped the rockets. GO TIME!

Rocket on the pad...

Vagabond on Pad.PNG

3... 2... 1... LAUNCH!

Vagabond Launch.PNG

Awesome! perfe… WOAH!... CRASH! Boom! What the?!?! I turn around an my gear table is upside down, toolbox and gear scattered.

Yard Sale.PNG

Was it the blast from the powerful ;) D6-5 engine? Mischievous Teens? What could have happened... review of the tape hinted at the culprit's identity...

Culprit.PNG

Yes, that's the hind quarters of my dog heading for the hills.. actually just to my daughter's side... tearing off without a care of anything except getting the heck out of Dodge. He blasted right through the gear table and knocked everything on the ground!

He quickly calmed down, I totally missed the flawless flight of the Vagabond except for the chute deploy, but successfully recovered. Got the dog calmed, picked up and two more launches of Der Red Maxxx later it was getting dark. Otherwise a great couple of launches, and a funny video to show the fam. Moral of the story, if you have never taken your dog to a launch before, make sure he's BEHIND the gear table.

PS: Please excuse the blur in the photos, they are vid caps.

Lugnut56 and Cory like this.
  2. Jun 7, 2019 #2

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Guess he's not a retriever.:D

3. Jun 8, 2019 #3

cbrarick

cbrarick

cbrarick

Wildman CT

My dog doesn't care when the rockets fly.....

guess I should be honest and tell you she's deaf...

4. Jun 9, 2019 #4

BABAR

BABAR

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

My dog is a RINO (Retriever In Name Only.)

She stays in the car when I launch in the park.

Funny thing is, she almost never, EVER barks. The one exception is when I do the countdown when I Video my launch. Something in the tone of my voice gets here barking. The actual rocket launch doesn’t seem to bother her a bit.

Scode68 likes this.