• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Yaesu VX-8R or Kenwood TH-D7 or TH-D72 or similar radio with APRS/TNC capabilities.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryRocket

Reaction score
Looking to buy - Yaesu VX-8R or Kenwood TH-D7 or TH-D72 or similar radio with APRS/TNC capabilities. Really looking for any handheld receiver with the integrated TNC. Doesn't necessarily have to have GPS like the aforementioned radios.

Thanks,

You should also check eham.net and qth.com. Both are "heavy" into sales of used equipment including HTs.

Good Luck,
Fred, L2
KG4YGP
member of ICBM,
Camden, S.C.

I would avoid the D7 as the one's out there are very old. When a TNC component went out of production, so did the D7. It was so abrupt that KW didn't have anything else planned and it was a long time before the D72A came out.
The other issue is the components in the D7's (A and A(g)) are aging and I have two D7A(g)'s that are out of tune and unusable for tracking. Yeah, I could send them off and perhaps someone could do a fix for ~ $100.00 or more but
then still stuck with an older rig where the TNC might be the next to go. Remember the TNC for the rig is out of production so if it dies, so does the rig. DO NOT get a VX-8R period! Only thing you can do is follow an arrow on a screen and you cannot get into the TNC to get the packets off to send to another application.
If you meant and "VX-8GR" then you have the option to plug it into a handheld Garmin Legend, 60Cs or 60CsX and track/navigate live to your rocket.

The GR strangely went out of production after a relatively short time which was too bad. Nice entry level unit one could do live map tracking with without all the bells and whistles the 72A has.

I would strongly suggest if you can get a GR for a decent price, go for it. If they cannot be had, concentrate on a D72A. Yeah there are things like a Mobilnkd TNC but if you jigger the volume on your H/T you might miss position packets.

I've seen 72's come up forsale here but rarely and you'd best be served by looking at Ham sites. They've been out long enough now that the novelty has worn off for some of the Hams so they might unload some nicely cared for units.
They're running around $389.00 new and they only thing you'd want to add is a charger base, an aftermarket antenna (maybe) and and extra battery pack (maybe). If you can get a complete setup with charger antennas and an extra battery
for $300 to $350 that might be the best you can do.

Again, stay away from the original VX-8R or 8DR for that matter unless you know you will be happy with the arrow, lat/long and distance only. If you're fine with that, you ought to get an Eggfinder or T3 and call it a day. Yaesu really
didn't get APRS quite right with it's rigs. The GR came close. Kurt

Last edited:
Hello Ksaves2,

Thanks for all that good info.

I currently use an eggfinder (x2) but am looking for something a bit more robust and reliable. I have never used one of these systems but I intend to get a BRB 70cm transmitter and receiver (as well as take the HAM cert class). I can do good once I have the lat/long. I just plug them into my garmin and I can walk to that location. Are you saying that the VX-8R does not give the coordinates on the screen? My working knowledge of how this works is quite limited right now. I just assumed with the correct receiver I could get a lock on the transmitter while on the pad. From that point, the rocket does its thing and after I'm left with a handheld receiver that will display the lat/long and I can then just plug that into my garmin. I'm certain I'm missing something here, especially since I have never laid my hands on one of these.

Hello Ksaves2,

Thanks for all that good info.

I currently use an eggfinder (x2) but am looking for something a bit more robust and reliable. I have never used one of these systems but I intend to get a BRB 70cm transmitter and receiver (as well as take the HAM cert class). I can do good once I have the lat/long. I just plug them into my garmin and I can walk to that location. Are you saying that the VX-8R does not give the coordinates on the screen? My working knowledge of how this works is quite limited right now. I just assumed with the correct receiver I could get a lock on the transmitter while on the pad. From that point, the rocket does its thing and after I'm left with a handheld receiver that will display the lat/long and I can then just plug that into my garmin. I'm certain I'm missing something here, especially since I have never laid my hands on one of these.

No, The VX-8R can give you coordinates and give them to you but a VX-8GR or a D72A can run a wire to a handheld Garmin:

garmin-gpsmap.jpg

Like this one through the round serial port via a cable. The rocket position waypoint is sent directly from the VX-8GR or D72 (or D74 for that matter but its price is stratospheric) via the cable into the Garmin Legend, 60Cs or 60CsX and plotted in real time while in flight. You can scroll through the navigation screens and the Garmin will plot a navigation solution in real time automatically. That is a nice potential to have.

Now if someone gives you a VX-8R cheap as dirt and you are happy inputting data points manually then go for it. Without the GPS unit that plugs into the -8R you won't be able to get a distance directly but just the lat long. Of course once you plug
the lat/long into a handheld it will give you the distance. Me, I'm lazy and like automatic when doing APRS tracking. I will say it's darn near bullet proof.

Look at the sticky in electronics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?45080-Setting-up-the-VX-8GR-and-TH-D72-for-BeeLine-GPS Kurt

Last edited:
Looking to buy - Yaesu VX-8R or Kenwood TH-D7 or TH-D72 or similar radio with APRS/TNC capabilities. Really looking for any handheld receiver with the integrated TNC. Doesn't necessarily have to have GPS like the aforementioned radios.
I've got a Kenwood TH-72 that I no longer need. I have the Garmin cable for it as well. Not sure what it's worth these days so I'll have to do some research. I'll find it and post a pic or two. In the meantime think what it's worth to you and make an offer if you'd like via PM.

Tony

There you go BryRocket. Pick up a compatible Garmin 60Cx or CsX and you'll have diddle free live map tracking.

I do a lot of egg finder tracking and also have a T3. When I want to do live tracking with minimal set up, I reach for the beeline GPS , the d 72 and my Garmin60 CSx.

There is also a way to get free open source maps into the Garmin GPS unit. You can buy a used garmin, 60 CS or CS and download the free maps.

Kurt

I tried uploading the photos but couldn't because the dumb software this website uses is Flash based and I don't have it installed on my computer and won't just for that one function. The radio is a Garmin TH-D72 and it includes the battery charger, Garmin cable (for the V/60 CS) and a Diamond SRG77CA antenna. I also have several manuals for it as well. If you PM me your email address I can email you the photos.

Sorry for the trouble,

Tony

Tony

Last edited:
Back