Yaesu and Big Red Bee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGL

Reaction score
I need a tracking system for my rockets. After lots of reading I have decided on using Big Red Bee and a Yaesu radio.
My first question is what is displayed on the screen of the Yaesu that directs me?

Is the information that is displayed different on the VX-8DR and the GR?

I have my Technician license but really dont understand APRS yet so I was assuming that the GR with gps would be a good choice for me.

Thanks, Michael

The -8DR doesn't have the built-in GPS receiver -- you have to buy an external mic that has it. With the external mic, the -8DR and the -8GR display the same thing.

What it will display is a compass, with an arrow pointing in the direction (relative to the radio) of the transmitter. It will also give you the distance to the 1/10th mile.

Here's a picture of a -8R, with the APRS screen up. You can see the beacon is due north of the radio, not moving, and at an altitude of 720 feet. If the screen were scrolled down one line, it would tell you the distance to the beacon.

VX-8_b.jpg

-Kevin

Thank you troj, just what I was searching for.

How do I get the Vx-8 to "lock" on to my particular BRB signal and not some other signal or another BRB?

Thank you troj, just what I was searching for.

How do I get the Vx-8 to "lock" on to my particular BRB signal and not some other signal or another BRB?

One of the cool things about APRS is multiple devices can be on the same frequency, at the same time, and it typically works -- I've seen it in Argonia.

Anyway, program your BeeLine GPS to a frequency (I change mine of the default frequency), then set the B tuner in the radio (it has two) to the BeeLine's frequency. If the radio is setup properly (there are a couple settings that have to be changed, nothing major), it will decode the packets as it receives them. Navigate through the screens to the list of APRS transmitters, select your callsign, and it shows the distance and bearing.

I've got an -8GR and it has worked well for me.

-Kevin

I am VERY interested in getting a similar setup and would like to know what the radio would display if it loses "lock" on the signal from the BRB?

Also I am trying to decide between the 2M and 70cm GPS system.

When it loses lock (and it usually will until the motor burns out) it continues to send the last known "good" location.

The 70cm version is for rockets. If you think you'll exceed 50K AGL, then get the 100mw upgrade that will work all the way up to 250K or so. There's really no need to get the 5-watt 2 Meter BLGPS -- that's for tracking vehicles, people and balloons.

Last edited:
I am VERY interested in getting a similar setup and would like to know what the radio would display if it loses "lock" on the signal from the BRB?

If the GPS loses lock, as Greg said, the transmitter sends the last known location.

The radio (the Yaesu unit) itself doesn't ever "lock" on the transmitter -- it just displays what it receives. When it gets a new packet it can decode, it updates the display. Otherwise, the last information it received is displayed.

Also I am trying to decide between the 2M and 70cm GPS system.

I have the 70cm.

-Kevin

Back