3D Printing XXXZ

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know I posted this video about how I printed a large nose cone in pieces using my Prusa MK3S:
Print Large Parts

However, what are the options for extended Z height on 3D printers so we could print larger nose cones in one piece?

The FLSUM V400 looks like a nice option. The description of 400 mm Z is a bit misleading because that's not to the periphery (the Z limit is a cone), but for nose cones that doesn't matter. So you could print a 15" exposed nose cone with a 3/4" flange to fit inside a coupler. Most HPR nose cones are larger than 15" exposed, but at least this is starting to be in the ballpark.

Of course there's also the RatRig which goes up to 500 mm³ (19.7") build volume. This looks like a beast and not sure the extra X and Y are really helpful to us. (Maybe for a fin can, but I think the jury is still out on whether the inherent Z axis weakness of FDM parts makes large printed fin cans viable). 19" exposed covers a good range of nose cones, so this seems like a good option.

Someone also modified a Voron 2.4 with a radically extended Z, but I can't find any reports of how well it worked. 920 mm (36.2") is certainly big enough for most any HPR nose cone, even a 6" Nike-Smoke IIRC.

One thought for, say, a custom 4in or 5in cone would just be to print a hat for a widely available lesser cone.

E.g. the LOC 3.9-3.0 reducer would make a perfect host, or the LOC 5.38 stubby.

I stumbled across this printer:
https://www.prusa3d.com/product/trilab-azteq-dynamic-4/
It looks like Prusa bought the company and took them in house. These have various footprints, but the enclosed ones go up to 400 mm Z.

They are great machines. I have only seen them as a conference. They started the company as a biomedical support company, and it grew from there. They are pricy but sound to be very reliable.

If I buy another delta, I will buy the FLSUN first and might buy a TRILAB once I can afford it.

I thought you did buy an FLSUN. I'm curious to hear the report on it.

I ordered one and the site I ordered one from came back and told me it was on backorder for them. I cancelled the order. It really surprised me because it showed to be in stock.

It is better for me. I am going to order from directly from FLSUN once I get a start date at my new job.

It is better for me. I am going to order from directly from FLSUN once I get a start date at my new job.
Ah, OK. I am very curious about delta printers.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about the FLSUN is that it's not enclosed. I assume that means it's difficult to impossible to use ABS, PC and Nylon.

Last edited:
I've been using large Delta printers for a long time.

20200325_120946.jpg

I've been very happy with the seemecnc delta's. I've owned 4 over the last 10 years or so.
The one in the photo provides over 1100mm Z and is still in production, although not in
used as much since I built my other monster printer. I cut plexiglass panels to fit between
the aluminum rails for a very slim enclosure.

I believe the largest they sell is over 2000mm in Z height, but gets pricey fast.

https://www.seemecnc.com/collection...s/boss-printer-500-rtp?variant=15899138261086

I thought you did buy an FLSUN. I'm curious to hear the report on it.
I still have not purchased this. My wife and son encouraged me to install a Klipper Box on my Predator and see if I can get this to work. If it works well, I will use it for nose cones. It is a pretty good machine. It is just slow.

I've been using large Delta printers for a long time.

View attachment 573202

I've been very happy with the seemecnc delta's. I've owned 4 over the last 10 years or so.
The one in the photo provides over 1100mm Z and is still in production, although not in
used as much since I built my other monster printer. I cut plexiglass panels to fit between
the aluminum rails for a very slim enclosure.

I believe the largest they sell is over 2000mm in Z height, but gets pricey fast.

https://www.seemecnc.com/collection...s/boss-printer-500-rtp?variant=15899138261086

They are very well-rated. I would need a taller workshop.

Does anyone have this printer BOSSDELTA™ 300 DESKTOP 3D PRINTER? If so what is the print quality like? I am very interested in one of these.

Does anyone have this printer BOSSDELTA™ 300 DESKTOP 3D PRINTER? If so what is the print quality like? I am very interested in one of these.

I do not, but I have seen both the 300 and 500 at trade shows. The quality is similar to the Prusa once you get it dialed in. I own a Predator. Deltas are a little loud, but they are great for nose cones.

Scott, I have a partially assembled FLSUN V400 sitting around waiting for me to finish setting it up, won't be this weekend though. Can somebody sell me some of their spare time. :questions:

The BOSSDELTA looks cool.

John, the FLSUN has grooves in the extrusion that you can slide flexible plastic sheets into to enclose the frame, people have designed caps to seal the top, or just drape a towel over that area. Or a big Styrofoam box since you can attach a camera to monitor the print.

Last edited:
Speaking as an electronics guy, If you already using a particular printer, why can't you buy a longer acme screw and guides from MSC or mcmaster, and expand it yourself?

Speaking as an electronics guy, If you already using a particular printer, why can't you buy a longer acme screw and guides from MSC or mcmaster, and expand it yourself?
You can up to a point. As you increase the size the wobble factor increases. So you might not only need to increase tha acme screw length but the frame stifness( increased profile sizes) guide rail diameter etc.
So yes, it's that simple in theory..... In practice, printing is death by a thousand papercuts. It's about having all those tiny wobbles not adding up to a failed print.

Also, printers other than the lowest-end ones have an enclosure and there's a lot more structure than 2/4 rods sticking up from a base.

Sorry for the late reply - works been killing me.

I have the large bossdelta (500mm x 1100mm) and an Artemis which is the precursor to the bossdelta 300. Both are solid machines and fairly easy to print with.

Back