Xenomorph Host Transport Pod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
20210711_183246.jpg
A friend gave me an old see through V2 rocket body that had not bonded so it was junked. I went to Hobby Lobby for bunting and a foam ball. Then to the hardware store for silicone adhesive and a long metal launch lug. The LHS had a sale on motors they could not sell. Target had Barbie and Fashionista Ken on clearance, Malibu Ken was full price! Finally a trip to Apogee Components, the danger zone, for the 29mm cones and a few other bits. Add it all up and the mindsim says four stacks of three E16 s for Xenomorph pod flying fun! Staged and clustered Tractor motor stacks rule! Yummy hosts to the Queen!

All I have to say is muahahahaha :D Did I see that Estes has newfangled starters? Are they out? Have you tried them?

Will Barbie & Ken parachute back separately? I've been thinking of designs like that...
Unfortunately, Fashionista Ken and Malibu Barbie are in a bit of a pinch here. No golden parachute to save them. They will be held securely in place by some stringy stuff (the bunting.) Unless we get a rescue from Ripley, it looks like they are on a face hugger menu.

I am just going to tape up the pod. With a fancy electronic ejection and some mods there could possibly be a Hollywood happy ending version!

Couch layout time. I'm mindsiming I might be able to get by with a cant angle slight enough not to need racks. Processing were to cut off the launch lug. Mindsim warnings have been issued as to the need to reinforce the body tubes above the ball with some balsa buttresses. A longer launch lug could also provide a nice pole for a dancing Xenomorph. Weight, drag, stability on 4 E16 0 first stage motors. Hard for the old 8088 brain to process, wish I had a Pentium! Thinking of attaching hosts with duct tape. Crammed in as much chute as possible, hopefully all four will deploy. 3-4FNC would be soooo much easier!
20210722_163757.jpg

Contemplating canting a shallow cant angle on the 2 side motors and a greater cant angle on the front - back set with racks. Lots of clear tape under the motors on the transparent plastic. Two Xenomorphs up top to pose for maximum tube reinforcement. Thinking of covering tubes in alligator skin embossed paper for additional rigidity. Lunch lug to be max length, cut at tops of body tubes. Will have the HAL 9000 print me out a hard copy on the Xenomorphs impact on CP. Maybe a launch lug tip cone to divert airflow around Xenomorphs and set upper body tubes. Additional face huggers in pod. So many cool upgrades to add weight and complexity. Keep it simple?
20210722_231152.jpg

Couch layout time. I'm mindsiming I might be able to get by with a cant angle slight enough not to need racks. Processing were to cut off the launch lug. Mindsim warnings have been issued as to the need to reinforce the body tubes above the ball with some balsa buttresses. A longer launch lug could also provide a nice pole for a dancing Xenomorph. Weight, drag, stability on 4 E16 0 first stage motors. Hard for the old 8088 brain to process, wish I had a Pentium! Thinking of attaching hosts with duct tape. Crammed in as much chute as possible, hopefully all four will deploy. 3-4FNC would be soooo much easier!
View attachment 474025
If you had a Pentium for the mind sim, you’d end up with 11.99999999999 motors. Can’t have that or it’d be research rules only!

This is going to be fantastic. My only worry is that Ripley will sabotage an E12 to kill the xenomorphs with a dreaded CATO.

If you had a Pentium for the mind sim, you’d end up with 11.99999999999 motors. Can’t have that or it’d be research rules only!

This is going to be fantastic. My only worry is that Ripley will sabotage an E12 to kill the xenomorphs with a dreaded CATO.
This one is 29mm, so E16 or F15s in combo. Haven't had any CATO problems with them.

Mindsim keeps rebooting as the project progresses.

The 29mm motor tubes are wrapped with gold snake skin craft paper from Michaels. Used Titebond trim glue and thick CA on edges. Netting applied to plastic V2 model with super old 3M mounting spray. It bubbled up into a real mess that worked out fine. The yellowish color on the pod is spray mount, not paint. Clear coated for a wet look. Hope it doesn't ignite. Webbing on styrofoam ball used Bob Smith foam cure from Hobby Lobby. Smeared on with a tongue depressor and some patience.

So after the weigh in it looks like 4 x F15 4 with the Xenomorphs for the first flight. To Stage it will have to shed Xenomorphs, their weight replaced by motors.

Last edited:
Back