X1.4: A 24mm MD prototype story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0C5885FB-BDC2-4749-922D-5B93B406088D.jpeg It recovered beautifully. So thankful I took you alls advice and only flew the D-15T.

It landed very close to the low power pads. Great result among a day of great flying.

How did the fins fair on the landing? It'll of course be coming back down a tad faster with the 6gr in it.

What's the altitude? I'm bad at judging height when I'm using binoculars

I got a couple pictures of it, although I wasn't quick enough to get the launch.

Attachments

• DSC_4363.JPG
    DSC_4363.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_4365.JPG
    DSC_4365.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_4373.JPG
    DSC_4373.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 183
The fins faired far better than my fiberglass RB-05A. X1.4 remains unscathed by corn stalks. The RB-05 had a aft fin knocked lose and I’ll be epoxying that rocket over the next couple of days. For the fins being so aft mounted in X1.4, I was pleasantly surprised no aft fin damage at all. It will fly again.

Congratulations Andrew...glad your flight was so nice & everything came back!
Could ya see it with the D motor....or did it vaporize after leaving the pad?

Yeah the D motor was pretty see able. It was still damn fast. Can’t imagine what a G does. The ground footprint of that beacon was small today.

Are you sh*tting me??? Telemini needs a base to have altitude stored... oh well. I did not bring the laptop today. I just plugged the beacon up at home and no flight file. Arghhhh. Oh well.

You need base on and apparent set to monitor flight for a file to be stored. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Altitude is only a number. It makes little difference when you go to sleep at night. The real fun lies in the experience and the opportunity to learn new skills. This is why people were telling you to use a small motor so you can learn what you have and ramp up.

Altitude is only a number. It makes little difference when you go to sleep at night. The real fun lies in the experience and the opportunity to learn new skills. This is why people were telling you to use a small motor so you can learn what you have and ramp up.

Could you imagine how truly upset you'd be if you flew your 24mm rocket on a G motor, only to find out that you needed the base station to catch the altitude on your electronics??? It's a learning experience and that's why we suggest taking it one step at a time. If you go all out at once, you'll burn yourself out and be done in short order.

Are you sh*tting me??? Telemini needs a base to have altitude stored... oh well. I did not bring the laptop today. I just plugged the beacon up at home and no flight file. Arghhhh. Oh well.

You need base on and apparent set to monitor flight for a file to be stored. Sorry guys.

Andrew, this is why you should read the manual on things before using them.

Speaking of ramp ups I have two G-145 reloads to burn. HARA while close and friendly isn’t the place to launch those reloads on a five ounce minimum diameter rocket with large lateral drift possibilities. Two of my rockets also got cornstalk damage at HARA. This D15T test was done on fall break.

My priority now is graduating with a BSME this December. I predict the G-145s will burn next year. I think there is a moderate risk of losing the rocket on a G-145 even with a radio beacon tracker. A field that allows driving may be nice for recovery. Financially next year I will be in a better position.

Ideally I gander at Rembert, SC, Bama Blastoff, or Argonia Kansas for the G-145 test.

Congrats on the successful flight and recovery. You can now use this bird to work on your recovery, particularly on getting the chutes out and inflated, before moving on to larger rockets. I found getting the parachutes folded for reliable deployment a bit of a learning curve.

I think I have said it before. Up is easy, down is hard.

Regarding the lack of logging during the flight, remember that rocketry is all about the details. Every one of them.

Better hit it before entering the real world.

Under the excuse of University Rocket Team launch as a designated L-1 flyer. I now have a paid for trip to Tampa, FL with a real high waiver this Saturday. Weather permitting X1.4 will fly on a G-145 after college project launch. Mom is shrieking and I’m grinning. All I need to do is borrow a laptop. So excited dude.

I just borrowed a laptop. College tuna budget here. No fancy luxurious android app thingy here.

Did not get to fly X1.4 because of student project launch was lost in swamp after a flight.

Last edited:
We recovered the multistage university project rocket in a swamp. I got home at midnight last night. I broke a fin on X1.4 in transport. It will need a new fin and a dremel later this year. Flew the Saab. No time to mess with rockets.

Last edited:
2D0B6371-4D09-46C6-B6C5-E12D4DCF8BA5.jpeg Here is the fin damage from falling four feet onto a university gravel lot. So these airfoils don’t like gravel. -$47. A darn shame.

Back