X1.4: A 24mm MD prototype story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2D709B49-4FB6-49DE-A976-3C730282B0C6.jpeg Failed to connect to Telemini today. I downloaded AltOS1.7 and tried Teledongle to Telemini but Telemini never appeared. Whatever the F*** configure by radio link is I already hate it. Why not just make it where a cable attaches???

Can’t fly this thing until I figure out Telemini... Sorry guys I’m mechanical engineer student. Not use to dit dit beep beep gizmos. Telemini isn’t receiving the ground station signal for some odd reason. Or ground station can’t find Telemini. I’m not certain anymore.

Last edited:
I installed AltOS1.7 for Telemini V3 compatibly over a existing 1.6.8 software version then configured the groundstation with my FCC callsign set that to 434.550MHz with 38400 baud rate. It may be a software issue for all I know. I did not connect yagi on initial attempt. The base itself should act as a short range antenna.

I understand Telemini is a altimeter dual deploy with a radio beacon. Rather than have a cable to configure such as TeleGPS which I never had many problems with it just lets you wirelessly configure it. I’m assuming the device should appear once battery is plugged in and you have selected configure altimeter. The directions for Telemini are very vague and I already complained to it’s designer about that.

Selected Teledongle. And it sat there at connecting. 760D561E-6248-46ED-8898-EFEC6920653A.jpeg
So it sat for agonizingly five minutes to which I canceled it. Anybody a Telemini wizard?

Last edited:
Give it another 20 hours of 'troubleshooting'... The game is so much more real then.

Check compatability with your exact configuration.

Telemini V3, AltOS1.7 recommended for supporting Telemini V3, fresh install. Ran as admin in compatibility mode for windows 7. Will play with my TeleGPS later this week. If I can’t configure the TeleGPS which I’ve had work in past then I know it’s dongle has problem. Other than that I’m clueless, it should just connect right up.

So technically my Telemini was never on. I need a jumper wire on the middle two connectors. Then I’ll need an eye glass repair screwdriver which I just don’t have right now. And supposedly it’ll enter flight mode in five seconds after plugging it in.

So technically my Telemini was never on. I need a jumper wire on the middle two connectors. Then I’ll need an eye glass repair screwdriver which I just don’t have right now. And supposedly it’ll enter flight mode in five seconds after plugging it in.

Yes, turning it on is always preferable. Be aware you'll need to do the same thing when you actually put it in a rocket.

Telemini V3, AltOS1.7 recommended for supporting Telemini V3, fresh install. Ran as admin in compatibility mode for windows 7. Will play with my TeleGPS later this week. If I can’t configure the TeleGPS which I’ve had work in past then I know it’s dongle has problem. Other than that I’m clueless, it should just connect right up.

Comparing the TeleGPS configuration process which happens over USB to the TeleMini configuration process that happens over radio isn't really valid from the perspective of blaming the TeleDongle as it's not used in the TeleGPS configuration. My recommendation is read the manual and cut out any information pertaining directly to the TeleMini and place it in another document. Then read that document again. Maybe get a simple push button switch so you can easily turn the TeleMini off and back on. Finally, take a deep breath and try to configure the unit based off the things you've learned. I've configured my TeleMini v3.0 over the radio via a TeleDongle on Windows 10 with AltOS v1.7. It does work.

This was user error my fault. As another user in rocketry electronics thread pointed out I was trying to connect to a device that never was ON! Loooool.

Since I’m not using any pyro channels in this rocket, I think a wire will suffice for packing space.

I certainly hope you learn to read instructions in the future. That sort of activity will get you VERY far in the engineering field. Oh, I also hope you learn some patience. Jeez. Shouldn't you be trying to graduate instead of trying to smash your TeleMini with a hammer?

So, you've said you're looking at potentially next year until you find a field with a waiver high enough for your attempt... Aside from your TeleMini adventure, not much to read until then, right?

Be very interesting to find out where you become employed after you graduate.
"Slow down and smell the roses" or as more applicable take your time ,read once ,read twice then any issues, read again.
If problems persist seek professional advice !

So, you've said you're looking at potentially next year until you find a field with a waiver high enough for your attempt... Aside from your TeleMini adventure, not much to read until then, right?
I believe he stated he will attempt to launch at either Bama Blast next month or GRITS the following. Hope so because I will be there to witness!

Electronics aren’t my forte’. Didn’t complete circuit idiot move. Several companies have made offers.

2C27C314-89B7-4605-A6D7-C8CBC0C756C2.jpeg It beeps on connecting now. And I got to the right menus. It connected seconds later.

BCE3240A-AA4D-46EE-B24D-B0362ABF2E09.jpeg 68A65535-F1A6-4BE3-90FC-9DAE7897ABC2.jpeg
Under monitor idle I get an altimeter reading and temperature. Under monitor flight nothing happens and can’t save flight data. It also quit beeping every time I move it which I don’t know if good or bad. I also couldn’t save the flight data from the monitor idle which claimed there was a flight.

Last edited:
Andrew,
  1. Take better pictures! the one of the PCB is all blurry.. Always snap a few pics, then pick the best one the post. Don't rely on the first one as 'the' one to post.
  2. Post smaller pictures! No reason to have a massive wall of screenshots & pics to scroll thru. 1024 x 768 resolution is enough for most / all of us..
  3. Wouldn't all this Telemini trouble shooting be best posted in your other post about configuring the Telemini?! (since you now seem to have parallel threads going on in two separate forums..)

I guess I need a ham radio Yaseu VX-6R to detect the radiobeacon signals feature and successfully fox hunt it with a yagi. Successfully can configure the altimeter. On the TeleGPS it could record flights on ground from what I remember.

TeleGPS is nothing more than tracking device and starts logging data as soon as powered up.

All I really want to do is track the radio beacon signals properly with the right ground station and handheld radio setup for this project. On the Sandhawk I may take advantage of the ability to use main and apogee pyro channels. And a dual deploy rocket will have a switch.

Last edited:
Just bought a Yaseu VX-6R in-line. It should be here maybe in a week or two?

7,506 ft the sims shows updated. Apogee deploy motor eject. This little rocket will drift a long ways. It’s shorter than a Blackhawk24 and not much room for dual deploy. Not trying to break a record, just want to test some supersonic airfoils and get a rocket back.

Back