X-RV from Arkansas [Squirrel Works]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
Glad to see all the boost glider activity on Rocketry Forum. My threads are rather delayed, as I am in the process of getting new glasses.

So, let's work on a non-RC project: X-RV from Squirrel Works.

The X-RV is a small, shuttle-looking rocket glider, which ejects the motor.

m_IMG_2801small.jpg

Awesome! I had a lot of fun with mine. I found that getting the "dropping glide" right was quite an art.

However, it eventually cato'd in mid air due to an overly energetic ejection charge. I'll build another one day.

This is my first experience with Aleenes Tacky Glue. Texture like most white glues.

Could not find any drying time on the Aleenes Tacky glue bottle. After 10 to 15 minutes, was very tacky. After 30 minutes, seemed dry.

Though, I let the Tacky glue set several hours.

Working on the fins/rudder/wings. Using tacky glue to attach dowels (included in kit) that aid structure (?).

m_IMG_2864small.jpg

m_IMG_2865small.jpg

Glued the fins on (with Tacky Glue). Time for some glide tests.

Instructions talk about adding clay weight to the inner back of the fuselage, at the bottom (where I am pointing).

m_IMG_2887small.jpg

m_IMG_2888small.jpg

I love aeroshroud kits.

I think the one I cloned (Centuri?) a long time ago called for pennies as weight in a pocket near where you're pointing.

Note: "It did not fly, so much as plummet". Well, it was a controlled fall. Still fun.

Added more clay, played with the elevon tabs. (Should have recorded the weight I added.:facepalm:)

Don't have a good feeling on this one, guys. :blowingbubbles: One glide is ok, and the next isn't. I don't think I got the fins aligned right, but we shall see.

m_IMG_2930small.jpg

Added more clay, played with the elevon tabs. (Should have recorded the weight I added.:facepalm:)

Don't have a good feeling on this one, guys. :blowingbubbles: One glide is ok, and the next isn't. I don't think I got the fins aligned right, but we shall see.
My original Centuri version gave me a decent glide about half the time. My current one from the Squirrel Works is about the same. And even when it “glides” it’s still closer to “falling with style” than what you’d typically call gliding.

The fins on the X-24 are borderline decorative - IIRC somewhere either here or on YORF in a discussion about the original design there’s a statement about the fins being too big, that it glides better with near vestigial fins and they’re the size they are because it looks better. Check out the pix of a modified clipped wing Bug in this old Enerjet News article about lofting one on a scale Saturn V:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/e...o86oH-LlNE1zSdwk8tXRwNjDb_nyk3u1ExxDKMjtesoXg

Conducted a launch of my X-RV today. Did not go well, but it did survive undamaged.

Used a B4-2, which was relatively loose. Had to wrap tape around the motor for an acceptable fit.

On the launch pad. Even though the launch rod is leaning toward top-left of pic, the rocket travelled to top-right.

m_IMG_3035small.jpg

Back