X-Prize Rubicon - cluster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have been looking over my new Estes Rubicon kit - is it just me or is this thing just screaming to be a cluster?

Anyone else got this idea yet?

The only thing I am a little apprehensive about is whether the plastic 'fin can' will stand the heat of a 18mm motors in the booster tubes.

The plastic fin can should hold up as well as any of the Estes plastic fin cans. But by putting 18mm moters in all/any of them, means not being able to add the nozzles. My take would be to try
13mm motors in the bosters. My club has already challenged me to cluster it. Maybe a reputation thing.
Otherwize, its an easy build without this change.

stl1951 - I thought of 13mm too, You are right, the nozzles would be nice to have on the model. I measured a nozzle last night and it will not work with an 18mm engine without removing too much plastic.

I am going to mount the motors so the nozzle end of the motor is even with the bottom of the plastic nozzle in hopes of keeping the plastic nozzles from melting.

you're right, it's an easy build stock. But easy just ain't any fun!

One note of warning, read the revised assembly instruction sheet that is in the kit. The orriginal instruction don't work very well.

Estes Rubicon out of the package
Dr Zooch sat 1b and Estes Redstone for comparison

even makes the Big Daddy look small.

ta heck with 13mm outboards, them are 24mm tubes, im goin for all 24mm motors, maybe D's in the outboards and an Ellis G or an EX H in the middle...

Sounds like fun, keep us posted on what you guys do...

when i get the fincan thingy opened up, ill post some pics...

Scott McNeely

I just bought a Rubicon with a gift certificate I got for Christmas. Havn't decided yet how I am going to build it, I think I'll take the easy way out and sit back and watch how you guys do it first!

wick

Originally posted by WickBall
I just bought a Rubicon with a gift certificate I got for Christmas. Havn't decided yet how I am going to build it, I think I'll take the easy way out and sit back and watch how you guys do it first!

wick

Got a rubicon today.. wife says if i open the package i better enjoy a comfortable night on the sofa... lol

No doubt i will at the very least shove the engine block back into it further to try it on an e9-4 or an AT E-30

anyone have a Rocksim file for this thing yet? lol

thanks
Jerryb

I built the RUBICON as E-capable...or maybe an F21! This seems like a kit designed and never actually built before production. I like the looks of it and the way it turned out....most of the parts were painted before assembly.

I will use tape for motor retention and a clean look at the mount area. I was considering clustering but there is a curious crimping of the motor tubes at the bottom of the rocket...so I built with the single motor mount....maybe work out a cluster for another one. This is a really nice looking large rocket....hope it flies well too!:)

Originally posted by billEblurzz
I will use tape for motor retention and a clean look at the mount area. I was considering clustering but there is a curious crimping of the motor tubes at the bottom of the rocket...so I built with the single motor mount....maybe work out a cluster for another one. This is a really nice looking large rocket....hope it flies well too!:)

I have one in the bag...waiting to finish the outlander i started last night to look at it.

anybody actually flew one of these yet?

just wondering
Jerryb

I have got to get one of these - I saw it at the SERFS club dinner the other week and it just screamed out 'cluster me'.

Dave UKRA L1 #1287

billEblurzz - I found out about the curious crimping the hard way!
I always try to dry fit things but for some reason I forgot to do it this time. I had built all the Rubicon boosters with 13mm MMTs in them. I then decided to use epoxy to glue the tubes in and to make matters worse I decided to glue all of them at once.
Put the epoxy in the fin can and started inserting the boosters. To my dismay the fin can 'squeezed' the botton of the boosters to an oval shape. I had no choice but to go ahead as the epoxy was setting and I did not want to have to try and remove all the hardened epoxy.
I can actually get the 13mm motors into the MMTS but they are tight and I had wanted to eject the 13mm motors. I would like to build another and try this again.
Any body got any pics yet? I'll have some posted later today

I built the Rubicon stock and so far have had 4 flights on it, all D-12. Looks awsome, fly's awsome.

Wasn't too sure about the strength of the rocket / fins but this thing certainly could use some more punch in the motor department.

Was thinking about using an E-11 or F-12 and see what happens. Do you think the seemingly flimsy fins will hang with these motors?

billEblurzz, that is a beautiful rocket. You should write a book on finishing techniques, you always have some of the best looking scale rockets :D

Back