X-Celerator Build for Freedom Launch 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't going to be a very in-depth build thread and there is likely nothing of interest as far as 'new' techniques or anything like that. I just figured I'd document my progress a little to hopefully keep me motivated to get this thing done. Sometimes people say the best way to make sure you do something is to publicly say you're going to do something and therefore if you don't do it, you're lame.

One thing I've noticed so far is that the AV-bay doesn't include a switch band and I generally like switch bands. If forced to eliminate the switch band due to lack of availability, I will, but if I could get a 1-1 1/2" switch band that matches the air frame diameters, that would be sweet. The OD is 4.028"-4.031" and the wall thickness is 0.070"-0.071" based on my measurements. If someone has a switch band that is similar or knows who sells one, that would be great. I believe this rocket (original Gen 1 version) was produced by Curtis and I know that might or might not raise some people's blood pressure. I'd prefer to not have any of that type of discussion, so please hold off on comments about vendors if possible. The kit was originally a Rocketry Warehouse product, designed by Gary Tortora ( @GaryT on the forum) and was a great deal and seems to be very high quality.

Anyway, here's the dry fit. The past 2 days has been cleaning off the work area and hopefully tomorrow will be when I get things washed down. As i said above, the quality is nice and the fits seem pretty sweet!

Hope everybody had a great day!

Sandy.

Attachments

• X-Celerator_Dry_Fit.jpg
    X-Celerator_Dry_Fit.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Allright, You had me worried as I called last week and left a message but never heard back from you so I figured you were overly busy. Just didn't know that it was with a rocket kit. big ass tool boxes, super clean work area, you're my hero. :bravo: Glad to know you're going to the Freedom Launch too.

Allright, You had me worried as I called last week and left a message but never heard back from you so I figured you were overly busy. Just didn't know that it was with a rocket kit. big ass tool boxes, super clean work area, you're my hero. :bravo: Glad to know you're going to the Freedom Launch too.
SxrT, Marty, my bad on not returning your call. I was in Illinois doing some racecar work last week and the rental car/hotel situation was less than ideal. It was a good week of 8am-10pm work on the car(s) and the end result was a test session with 5 different setups and the car winning 2 days after I left. Must have been a good change!

Slowly getting back into NC life, but the trip for testing motivated me to actually do something-ish, which is awesome. The day job de-motivated me so far this week, though. . .

Sandy.

I have an X-celerator. Very rugged rocket! A number of years ago I happened to get a bad box of Firewires where I got 100% failures....turns out they had a raw material supplier problem and replaced my box with a good batch....anyway, only the one apogee charge with a Quest igniter fired so the the rocket came in on only a drogue from 4400' (the other 3 charges didn't fire). NO damage. More recently, the rocket landed in a tall tree so I had to cut it loose and lost the NC, Eggfinder in the NC bay, parachute, but got back the ebay and fin can. I have a switchband on the bay. I took a piece of Quantum tube and cut it to fit around. The small gap was filled in with epoxy. I've added another NC and plan to fly it at our next launch. Here's an older picture.

Attachments

• CSC_1495.JPG
    CSC_1495.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1
OK Sandy, you can do this. Put on a Tony Robbins motivational segment and start slinging epoxy like a British Baking Champion.

So how long is it until Freedom Launch?
9/3-9/5. Super easy build with the proper motivation and good epoxy/electronics. Finishing for pretty pics, hard to say. . . (epoxy and electronics are 5-15 years old, but worked fine back then. . .). I also want to add a good onboard video camera, but my old 808's are all failed and last time I looked at RunCams, they were expensive and/or not available. Hope that resolves or I figure out another good camera option. I love onboard video!

Sandy.

Back in the day, I would just blue tape 808 cameras on at the last second and get cool footage, at least on the way up if I assembled well. On the way down, you might have a seizure inducing experience, so feel free to fast forward!

Note that this is one of my favorite onboards that I made. The up part is fun, but make sure to watch the last 10-15 seconds. She was heading into the broccoli, but found a hole somehow!

As I said, all the 808's are dead now, so no longer an easy way to get cheap onboard footage like the early 2010's. I think I paid $8-15 each, but old Lipo technology/sketchy design made them hard to rely on.

Sandy.

PS: If you get a random add at the beginning, I guess you only need 299 views to get ads. Never had a clue. I do not support, nor endorce any ads you may find in the video, but please remember it is the AI serving the ads, so whatever you see is all on you, not me!!!

One thing I've noticed so far is that the AV-bay doesn't include a switch band and I generally like switch bands. If forced to eliminate the switch band due to lack of availability, I will, but if I could get a 1-1 1/2" switch band that matches the air frame diameters, that would be sweet. The OD is 4.028"-4.031" and the wall thickness is 0.070"-0.071" based on my measurements. If someone has a switch band that is similar or knows who sells one, that would be great. I believe this rocket (original Gen 1 version) was produced by Curtis and I know that might or might not raise some people's blood pressure. I'd prefer to not have any of that type of discussion, so please hold off on comments about vendors if possible. The kit was originally a Rocketry Warehouse product, designed by Gary Tortora ( @GaryT on the forum) and was a great deal and seems to be very high quality.
Sandy.
Just cut a 1-1/2" piece off either the payload bay or booster and use it as the switch band. Won't change the length of the rocket. A hack saw will last long enough for 1 cut or you can get a carbide grit blade.

Just cut a 1-1/2" piece off either the payload bay or booster and use it as the switch band. Won't change the length of the rocket. A hack saw will last long enough for 1 cut or you can get a carbide grit blade.
That was the backup plan and I do have tooling that cuts fiberglass pretty well (wet tile saw), but I'm not that great at gettng the end cut perfect. I guess, technically, as long as I assembled it exactly as I did the cut prior to putting in the screws/shear pins, it would have looked OK, but Ken had what I needed and it was nice to catch up with him for a bit when I picked it up.
Tom, I think it's already put together and ready for paint.

Quoting Al from Home Improvement: "I don't think so, Tim. . . " :) Still got lots to do, like getting started. . .

Sandy.

Back in the day, I would just blue tape 808 cameras on at the last second and get cool footage, at least on the way up if I assembled well. On the way down, you might have a seizure inducing experience, so feel free to fast forward!

Note that this is one of my favorite onboards that I made. The up part is fun, but make sure to watch the last 10-15 seconds. She was heading into the broccoli, but found a hole somehow!

As I said, all the 808's are dead now, so no longer an easy way to get cheap onboard footage like the early 2010's. I think I paid $8-15 each, but old Lipo technology/sketchy design made them hard to rely on.

Sandy.

PS: If you get a random add at the beginning, I guess you only need 299 views to get ads. Never had a clue. I do not support, nor endorce any ads you may find in the video, but please remember it is the AI serving the ads, so whatever you see is all on you, not me!!!

WOW, see a lot of trees up that high….or maybe they are just giant broccoli….

WOW, see a lot of trees up that high….or maybe they are just giant broccoli….

Yep. . . the wind was low that day and the rocket didn't fly crazy high, but due to the failure of the main at apogee, that treeline separates 2 farm properties with a nice creek that floods on occasion through the middle was coming up waaaay too quick. I was 100% sure it was going to get stuck in the trees and was amazed that it was in the water. The video shows that I really should have bought a lottery ticket that day!!!

Sandy.

Back