X-Acto knives -- anybody else have this problem?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket-Tech Al

Reaction score
I use X-Acto knives a lot, so I have a good number of them on hand. In particular, I'm talking about the #1 aluminum (aluminium, for you chaps across the pond) handle that uses the #11 steel (steel, for you imperialistic blokes) blades that are sharper than surgical scalpels. Depending on what I'm doing, I may not use a particular knife for an extended period of time. Last night, I finally got down to building something that required the use of one of these knives (we moved last year, and I've been so busy since the move that I've only been building shake-n-bake stuff for 6 months) and I went to change the blade in one of these knives. The first one required a vise grip and a pair of pliers to loosen to get the blade out, then when I got the new blade in, it wouldn't retract to tighten up. A second knife then had the same problem!! It there some sort of sub-molecular dielectric different metals pooh-pooh thing going on here, or am I just a woosy-boy who's too weak to change a knife blade?

Al

Different metals will 'corrode / gaslvanize' together. This might be one reason.

Temp & Humidity can cause this as well.. If you moved from Florida to Wyoming, you woudl notice a humidity and temp difference. Also airborn salts & such (oils form your hands) can help the metals (aluminum espeically) 'oxedize' and bond together..

You didnd't spill any CA on them did you?! :D

Actually, I did do a google on this after I posted, and did see some info on galvanic corrosion ( for a $2.00 knife, I'm spending waaaay too much time on this!!) and I am figuring that since I probably used these knives in effects shop work at some point, they most likely got wet, allowing them to turn into little batteries, and well onto the way into uselessness. Reminder to self... take blade out, store sealed in jar with silica gel packet.

That's just too much work. Well, it's time to go to Pat Catan's and buy a few more of these little buggers.

Al

Now, anoher facet of this topic, is that the super sharp blades generally don't have an 'anti rust' coating, that would render them 'less dull' This is more apparent with single sided razor blades, that they start to rust once the box is opened.

Ideally, a drop of oil on the blade 'insertion end' and teh threads, you should be 'right as rain'.

Ambeint humidity and eventual condensasion will add moisture to them.

I believe you are experiencing the difference in the coefficient of friction for moving objects versus static (stationary) objects.
When you push a block across the floor, the initial level of force required to start the block moving is relatively higher than the subsequent level of force to keep the block moving.
When you tighten/torque the collet on your Xacto as much as you can with bare hands, it often requires a greater level of force to break it loose again.
Happens to me all the time.

Originally posted by powderburner
I believe you are experiencing the difference in the coefficient of friction for moving objects versus static (stationary) objects.
When you push a block across the floor, the initial level of force required to start the block moving is relatively higher than the subsequent level of force to keep the block moving.
When you tighten/torque the collet on your Xacto as much as you can with bare hands, it often requires a greater level of force to break it loose again.
Happens to me all the time.

AAAAAAAARGH!

LUG NUTS!

I understand now.

WOW! Only $2 each...

Then you guys are just way, way "overthinking" this project!:D

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
Different metals will 'corrode / gaslvanize' together. This might be one reason.

Yep, that's most likely what has happened. I have seen that a lot with my knives over the decades and that has been the cause in my case.

As for #11 blades being sharper than a scalpel.... well, the hospitals you visit may use dull scalpels, but man, there isn't an xacto blade made (that I know of) that comes *close* to a scalpel...

I used to do leather work (belts and things). I used to cut the leather with a #11 blade. 2, sometimes 3 swipes of the blade were all it took to get through thick cowhide. Darned sharp them blades.

Then I got a small box of disposable scalpels from a nurse friend of mine. (these are the cheepy ones, not the real good ones used in an operating room). One swipe! Through the leather, through my protective cardboard and it scratched into the top of my work bench. Never saw anything like it. Can't get them anymore, but man I love them!

Originally posted by jflis
Then I got a small box of disposable scalpels from a nurse friend of mine. (these are the cheepy ones, not the real good ones used in an operating room). One swipe! Through the leather, through my protective cardboard and it scratched into the top of my work bench. Never saw anything like it. Can't get them anymore, but man I love them!

Farm supply stores carry veterinary scalpels. Cheaper than those intended for human patients.

Bill

Back