X-43A the latest aerospace technology!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman 13

Reaction score
Hey the X-43A is one awesome rocket and I was curious if anybody was looking forward to its launch tomorrow. I am very excited that it is going to break the famous SR-71 Blackbird record.Here's a clip of it in case your not up to date on what NASA is about to do. Rocketman 13

Is the SR71 record just for jet propelled aircraft or does it include rockets too?

Could you post the link? :)

According to Guiness it's the fasted jet-propelled aircraft. The fastest winged aircraft is the X-15-A2 (Mach 6.7). The SR-71 is also the fastest operational non-orbital aircraft (all other designs that exceed the SR-71 are either strictly for test purposes or are designed to achieve orbit).

WW

Sorry I forgot the link here it is https://www.designnews.com/article/CA85495?stt=001&pubdate=06/18/01

Also that X-43A looks like it would make a great glider possibly... but you would have to test it on rocketsim to see if it would work somebody try it and make it downloadable so I can and others view the results.I can't make rockets yet haven't learned how on rocketsim.Also it would also make a great scale model since it is only 12 feet long and has a 5 foot wing span.

One last big favor could soembody make this rocket on rocketsim for me?:https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-163.html
that would be great I hope to build one model with a payload section someday. Thanks a ton Rocketman 13

Originally posted by Rocketman 13

One last big favor could soembody make this rocket on rocketsim for me?:https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-163.html
that would be great I hope to build one model with a payload section someday. Thanks a ton Rocketman 13

Here's my version of the GQM-163A, 6" sustainer, 8" booster with 3x 75mms... should be fun.

And if we hear any sonic booms from the X43-A, I'll let you know... we did get a pair of HUGE ones today... hmmm... did NASA get a little trigger happy? :D

Well I wouldn't be to suprised if they already launched the X-43A and will release the info tomorrow.Its Top secret and they won't release the flight time either that or I just can't find it. Thanks daveyfire for the Coyote rocket could you make the X-43A also?? Thanks Rocketman 13

So if the windows blow out of the classroom while I'm taking the SAT (aside: :mad: such a fun way to spend a Saturday, yay for standardized testing?!), I'll know it worked :D Go NASA! Finally, something back on the research track.

Yeah! That would be awesome you already doing CAT 6 testing??Mine does not start until mid April
Well goodnight got school tomorrow.
Rocketman 13

I have a glider I have started working on again, here is a plan render of the SHX-43. It is made out of balsa and cardboard. Gotta figure out the boost phase still.

shrox

That thing looks like it will fly like a brick.

Hypersonic flight will be a different story for the real X-43, but that model at subsonic velocities will be a real handful. If you can keep the airspeed up, you may be able to actually steer the thing but I hope your RC reflexes are in good condition. Build light. Build very very light.

It will fly. All of mine do or I wouldn't tell anyone!!! Besides, the real Hyper-X has to take-off from and land on a runway so it must be able to fly sub-sonic.

shrox

Originally posted by shrox
It will fly. All of mine do or I wouldn't tell anyone!!! Besides, the real Hyper-X has to take-off from and land on a runway so it must be able to fly sub-sonic.

Well, it has to land subsonic, anyway.:D Takeoff is attached to its booster rocket, slung under the wing of a B-52.

Technically this is already a legit scale subject in its boosted configuration, since the previous attempt did actually boost (for a few seconds, anyway). Mission points for shredding though, might be a little hard to convince the judge on.

the Hyper-X project site has a very nice cardstock glider Kit of the X43 vehicle which glides very well. It's a 3 page 730+k .pdf downloadable file. I seem to have lost the site link..If not on my home pc I'll stick the pdf file in my yahoo briedcaes later this evening.

I have everything I have 2 of crossed for a successful launch today! Anything with the number 43 is a big deal for us Narhamsters:D

Hey a glider would be a great idea but it would be a bummer if it failed.1 day to go!!! yeah!!! Rocketman 13

IT FLEW! And successfully at that! Now to see what the future of SCRAMJET technology will bear.:)

For those who may have missed the launch, it was a beautiful flight. Really amazing to see the Pegasus drop off the side of the B-52 for a couple hundred feet and then power up with a vengeance.:D

I started building this BT60 based model before I knew of the X-43A. If I hadn't been so far along in construction I would have put the X-43A on it instead of the Big Bertha nose cone. I thought it would be apropriate to post the pic here anyway since the Pegasus was the launch vehicle. Sorry for the poor quality of the image but it's the best I could do with my web cam.

Pegasus XL

Yeah it flew!! But I missed it on TV.Well I guess before you know it we will be flying in sramjets at Mach 7 and getting there in no-time!In 2025 that is.

I watched it live on TV and on NASA web TV at the same time. I kept the volume on NASA up and muted the TV most of the time. On NASA you could hear the pilots talking to each other and all the countdown and technical stuff but the TV had a voice over by the usuall anchor idiots. The TV had better video quality though. Great fun.

Back