X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good, accurate kit of the X-15? I was hoping Cosmodrome would have theirs out by now but it apparently hasn't even made it to beta-test yet.

If not, any advice on scratchbuilding one would be nice. I love the X-15 and really want to make a decent-sized flying model.

I have a Shrox SHX-15B, but it's not scale. A very cool looking rocket, but kind of "finicky" to build.

The kit I lust after is made by "Scale Craft" in England, but I haven't found anyone that sell them over here in the states. They are available thru Deepsky....but they'll have to ship it over the "pond".

https://www.deepskyrocketshop.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=364

Originally posted by OKTurbo
The kit I lust after is made by "Scale Craft" in England, but I haven't found anyone that sell them over here in the states.

Dale Windsor (Lawndart Rocketry) had been "producing under license" the ScaleCraft kits. Maybe he still has some left.

If not, ScaleCraft is currently looking for someone stateside to take the initiative and produce & sell them stateside.

Probably worth a look-see for the able-bodied cottage kit producers out there. You'd have to find a laminator that does poster-size though.

I think the only parts that Paul Clark would be supplying for the kits would be the vacuum-formed pieces. The rest is up to whomever gets the nod.

-Chris

Here are a few shots of my semi-scale X-15. It's a 2.6 LOC tube and an Estes BT-80 nose cone. It's not perfect scale, but it flies perfectly with an AT F25-4W. It looks scale with the white exhaust trail as it climbs to about 1000'.

Lamar

I kept the triangular fins and oversized the rear elevators for stability. I ended up overbuilding it and adding alot of nose weight. I used basswood for the fins and braced them to the body tube with triangular balsa gussets before I glued the side pods over the fins. It's dusty and dirty now, but I hope to complete the paint job and decals over the winter.

Lamar

I rough carved a balsa cockpit, glued it to the nose and then used Bondo filler to create the final shape.

Lamar

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Did you draw up plans or a parts list for it? What about decals?

I'm wondering if it's best to slice up a body tube & nose cone for the sides or build it with heavy card stock. I'd like to keep it light enough to fly on an E motor.

Quest has an X-15 coming out around Nov 22. I don't know how accurate it'll be, but it's cheap and might be modified to scale. They're supposed to let me know as soon as it hits the port so I can get some in.

Excellent! You've built up one heck of a good store in pretty short order. Don't know how you did it, but congratulations.

I can't wait to see the Spaceship One and Canadian Arrow kits.

Quest has an X-15 coming out around Nov 22. I don't know how accurate it'll be, but it's cheap and might be modified to scale. They're supposed to let me know as soon as it hits the port so I can get some in.

cool.... ask them if they need any help with a website for goodness sake!

Originally posted by stymye
cool.... ask them if they need any help with a website for goodness sake!

They have actually hired a guy to help with that little problem. He's full time, so he helps with other stuff, like taking my last order. :rolleyes: Don't know when a fully functional site will be up, though. From the way he talked, it won't be too long.

Originally posted by Chilly
Does anyone know of a good, accurate kit of the X-15? I was hoping Cosmodrome would have theirs out by now but it apparently hasn't even made it to beta-test yet.

If not, any advice on scratchbuilding one would be nice. I love the X-15 and really want to make a decent-sized flying model.

I built a "fun" version of the X-15 and flew it as a NARAM Scale model. I used a paper model available at:

https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/North-American-X15/X-15.htm

and flight converted it by putting in a BT-20 stuffer tube and a mini-motor mount. I added some balsa stiffeners to the wings, rudder and stab, attaching the paper with a glue stick. A little noseweight and an A3-4t made for a perfect flight.

Originally posted by CTimm
Dale Windsor (Lawndart Rocketry) had been "producing under license" the ScaleCraft kits. Maybe he still has some left.

If not, ScaleCraft is currently looking for someone stateside to take the initiative and produce & sell them stateside.

Probably worth a look-see for the able-bodied cottage kit producers out there. You'd have to find a laminator that does poster-size though.

I think the only parts that Paul Clark would be supplying for the kits would be the vacuum-formed pieces. The rest is up to whomever gets the nod.

-Chris

Do you mean "British SpaceCraft" rather than "ScaleCraft"?
These are available from Deepsky in the UK, they also ship overseas.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Do you mean "British SpaceCraft" rather than "ScaleCraft"?
These are available from Deepsky in the UK, they also ship overseas.

Yeah, thats him.
He's still looking for a person to produce them stateside rather than shipping boxes across the pond.

-Chris

Originally posted by Chilly

Chilly:
If you don't mind Converting a Plastic Model Kit, Special Hobbies has a very nicely detailed 1/48th X15-A2 that can be build in the A2 varient or as a Straight X15. Takes a D12-5 for some fairly impressive flights;) Kind of prices at between 25 or 30.00 depending on where you buy.

Cool Thanks! I just found the site and sent him an e-mail.
Also I recently found an old Estes X-15 "Starter Set" at a flee market here in town for $40.00. But the X-15 is missing the engine retaining ring.
So I've contacted Estes to see if I can get one. If not I will have to MAKE one from the rear engine part of a 1/44 scale Jet or something?

WOW! YEP! That is EXACTLY the one I have! I guess I will have to make a retainer ring for it.
I know the other one that wasn't "Recalled" is VERY hard to find!

I HAD one of the Original ones back in the late 70's. It also had an Issue with the nose cone not releasing properly. This was fixed by sanding the to meeting
surfaces of the nose cone and even applying a very thin layer of lubricant to make SURE it released! Mine however didn't at one time and it impacted on the road and shattered into a MILLION Pieces! LOL I was not very happy about that I can tell you! :(

Back