X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as far as the retaining ring goes... I will just make one I guess?
I suggest you don’t fly it. But if you insist, you should be very careful. In addition to the lawn darts this model is known for, it also has a stability issue. The model is responsible for a severe injury to a Boy Scout In 2007 when it went cruise missile and pierced his body. If you launch it, please don’t do it with anyone around.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/201...ts-honored-for-saving-peer-wounded-by-rocket/

The biggest problem with many of these X-15 kits is the lack of decals. SNG Aero has a great kit in a couple of different scales (BT-60 and BT-80) and Steve can provide customers with a TIF file of decals that were scanned from somewhere. They’ll do for the gross details but the really fine lettering is blurred and there is a typo (I think- it may just be Air Force humor) in the original source, wherein “HYDROGEN” is spelled “HYDROGIN”.

As always, StickerShock 23 has a wonderful set of vinyl for the X-15 in any scale you want. I have not seen the actual product but I suspect you are not going to get the fine lettering detail unless Mark does printed vinyl for those parts. And the USAF font in the pics on his website is close but not correct. It is possible Mark does use the correct font in the actual stickers, but I recommend checking with Mark first if you’re going as close to scale as you can.

Yes, Mark's decal quality is first rate, here is what the font and sizing should really look like the font should have the usaf font with the angled corners, not rounded lettering, the rescue is smaller and doesn't have the little foot on it like stickershocks, there are a few other details for those who care, for my kit I worked with Mark to fix the font, he can do whatever you want you just need to give him some guidance on what you want. The US air force is over sized as well as the apu etc text and the red box. Markings changed over time, some had X-15 on the nose, some had the yellow arrow logo, after flight the detail on the yellow arrow was typically burned off and you just had the yellow arrow and couldn't see the nasa in the ball.
x15reviewrs_2.jpg
Here is a picture of a model done by John Risque who is one of the worldwide experts on the X-15, this model is 1/14 scale taken from actual wind tunnel model molds, and shows the best example of proper markings and sizing...
68901897_10217796871546857_7368254487800053760_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back