X-15 the movie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This book has a chapter on the making of the movie: https://www.mach25media.com/x1501.html . Ms. Evans (the author) also reports what the program participants thought of it also. There is a profile on every pilot that flew it in that book.
Joe Engle is the only one left who flew it. Incidentally he is the only Astronaut to have flown both of the "aerospace" planes sponsored by the US government. Yup, he flew/ tested the space shuttle in the early days too.

The movie "X-15" about the rocket plane is on THIS TV channel this morning. Made in 1961 it contains actual NASA footage. It has fairly good acting with an interesting cast of stars. The DVD is available through Amazon. Don't know about any video-on-demand (Netflix, Amazon, etc.).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055627/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I have the misfortune to own a copy of this film on DVD. It is perhaps the worst motion picture I have ever seen in my life.

Save your money. Or, more significantly, save your time. When you are at the end of your days here on this earth, you will desperately want the time back that you expended watching this wretched waste of celluloid.

James

Its been about 12 years since I've seen it, and I remember it being a terrible movie, but I enjoyed the footage of the X-15 itself. I should buy a copy of it just for that alone. Unlike other movies from that era that were actually pretty good, such as Strategic Air Command, The High and the Mighty, and Into the Unknown, this one suffered from a very terrible plot, and mediocre acting.

I have the misfortune to own a copy of this film on DVD. It is perhaps the worst motion picture I have ever seen in my life.

Save your money. Or, more significantly, save your time. When you are at the end of your days here on this earth, you will desperately want the time back that you expended watching this wretched waste of celluloid.

James
But, please, tell us how you really feel about it. :)

James

I saw similar complaints in the comments section on Amazon. The movie on TV seemed OK, but there was a noticeable difference between "live" actors and the archival footage.

Back