X-15 Delta Variant

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U812

Reaction score
X-15 Delta Variant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys you asked for it and you got it. You bit me good. This is just too neat and pretty to pass up.

So While I waited on parts to dry today for the V-2 I did some work on the computer and got things sorted out.

She will be about 24 inches long. 8 inch span. The nose and canopy will be on piece and cast from resin. BT-60 body tube. Balsa wings and scale shaped verticals.

Parachute recovery. 24 millimeter engine sized ready.

Decals included.

Today I got the nose section all shaped up. Tomorrow I will seal it and add some details. The rest is a body tube and balsa you build along with some good instructions and templates.

Here's what I did today. It won't be long until these are ready. I will release the V-2 and the X-15 side by side.

Thanks for all the help guys in steering me in this direction. You know who you are.

In one of the pictures you see the Quest Aerospace's excellent X-15 for size comparison.

Steve

X-15Delta03.jpg

nose4.jpg

compare.jpg

X-15 Delta Variant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys you asked for it and you got it. You bit me good. This is just too neat and pretty to pass up.

So While I waited on parts to dry today for the V-2 I did some work on the computer and got things sorted out.

She will be about 24 inches long. 8 inch span. The nose and canopy will be on piece and cast from resin. BT-60 body tube. Balsa wings and scale shaped verticals.

Parachute recovery. 24 millimeter engine sized ready.

Decals included.

Today I got the nose section all shaped up. Tomorrow I will seal it and add some details. The rest is a body tube and balsa you build along with some good instructions and templates.

Here's what I did today. It won't be long until these are ready. I will release the V-2 and the X-15 side by side.

Thanks for all the help guys in steering me in this direction. You know who you are.

In one of the pictures you see the Quest Aerospace's excellent X-15 for size comparison.

Steve

So....is that the "Zooch" Eagle nosecone in the background of pic #3?

Gads! A leak! The secret is out!!!!

Yep- that's it, or at least that's the master.

I don't think you've seen the booster fly yet. I'm going to shoot the whole stack at MDRA on the 17th. Only chance I'll have because I'm on the road on Sunday.

So as to not hijack this thread- please see the Vendor's area

Last edited:
Sorry doctor I was tired and left it sitting back there. It's a pretty master and I love to adorn my work environment with pretty things. ;)

Steve

You'll be fine.I have passed the gantlet many times. In fact my wife buys me RC planes and boats for the various occasions such as Birthdays, Christmas and more.

But no I won't tell. No way. No how. ;)

Thanks!!!

Steve

X-15 Delta Variant

You'll be fine.I have passed the gantlet many times. In fact my wife buys me RC planes and boats for the various occasions such as Birthdays, Christmas and more.

Steve

Beware - you're going to make my wife mad - and you don't want to see her mad :y:
I'll be needing to buy that X-15. I think your start looks great:clap:

And my family stopped buying me rockets years ago - They claim I have too many now. How can you have too many rockets??:D

Well...because...ah...oh heck there's just no such thing and that's a fact.

It's like having too many years of life.;)

Steve

Will mold the nosecone tomorrow after a few more rounds of filling and sanding until real smooth. Also I will add the depressions of the windows. This one is big enough to cut them out and add a bit of clear plastic from behind for real windows.

I've been configuring the build. Cutting balsa, fitting things together and make notes and templates. It's going well. The wings are so long they can't be scanned so the kit will include either marked or pre-cut wings.

The build is real easy. The wing is sandwiched between triangle stock the will be sanded to shape later. I have to take this all apart and built up by bill of materials. This weekend I'll do a build and make the instructions.

I'll be making the decals myself in Photoshop.

She's a good size as compared to the Quest Aerospace. Looks like I'll have order some bigger boxes!:eyepop:

Steve

rough_X-15_delta.jpg

rough_X-15_delta2.jpg

compare_again.jpg

This is great watching the process from start to finish, then having the actual kit in my hand. Keep up the great work. Great ideas, Great skills, Your going to be a power house in the model rocketry world.:D

If I can't get a friend to take care of my wife that weekend while she's still in the wheel chair no. She had a bad fall. Broke her heel and it's taking months to heal. My daughter is on location and I'm grounded until she can walk again or Beth gets home end of Nov.

I'm working on it. Hoping, but it's doubtful at this point. If I do make it I will be sure to bring it an my other 3 new kits.

Thanks for asking Monkey,

Steve

Thanks Monkey! Me too. If I don't get there best of luck on your first flight!

Steve

Very interesting concept. OK, you talked me in to one. Jeez, I'm easy......:eek:

Hey RocketMonkey, you wanna upscale this baby? Whatdaya think, 10, 15X?

Steve, looking good! Sorry about the wife. Hope you can make Plaster Blaster. We'll post video here on TRF just in case you don't.

Thanks Bondo.

You should do that guys.

Either way I'd love to come down and see and meet you guys. If I lived closer I'd lend a hand.

Steve

Man thats going to be an awesome looking rocket :) Come to think of it it already looks great :)
Cheers
fred

Just filling lightly and sanding the nosecone master to get it perfectly smooth. Not much to show until I make the mold tonight I hope.

Steve

I finished the Nose master and can mold it tomorrow.

There must be a can of primer on this master. So it needs to dry all the way over night.

She came out well I think. I'm most happy with it.

More tomorrow.

Steve

finished_master1.jpg

finished_master2.jpg

Looking great so far! You can add my name to the growing list......:D

One question.....have you thought about designing built-up vertical stabilizers rather than solid. Might help with the CG and require less weight in the nose. Just a thought, however, it probably won't make that much of a difference.

The design is superb. Simple, but captures the Jet perfectly! Someone should be able to build this in a day! Nice job.

Thanks Bravo and yes the tails are build up from 1/16th stock. I just haven't shown that yet.

Thanks very much!

Steve

Things have been going well on this project. As you can see it's nearly done and I've built one for the instructions. Tomorrow I'll finish it off and the instructions. Then I'll have to spend the day making the decal for it.

The cone in the back is and card stock paper wrap. Fins are scale shape and thickness made from 1/16 balsa sheet. The wings are 1/8 balsa and the fillets triangle stock.

If you like I can put up a few construction pictures before primer here.

I should be able to release this kit after the weekend.

More tomorrow.

Steve

framed_up1.jpg

framed_up2.jpg

framed_up3.jpg

framed_up4.jpg

Back