X-15 coming soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Apogee Components , don't mean to take too much of your time here, I want you to keep kitting more of these babies up! But have a quick question about using 24mm engines from your recommended list of those - your instructions are very clear that we shouldn't use a regular motor mount because of how exacting the stability issues are on this rocket—Tape only. But we'd have to use an adapter for a 24mm engine. Does the lesser weight of the smaller engine combined with the adapter weight still keep it within specs, stability-wise, or will there need to be adjustments made?
I ask because the 739 feet using an E-30T-4 is plenty high to make me happy, plus the lesser cost of those engines too.
The lesser weight of the engine just pushes the center-of-gravity forward, and should result in a more stable rocket. The adapter weight is relatively insignificant in comparison to the weight loss in motor difference. The only worry on 24's is the liftoff speed. The kit has a lot of nose weight that needs lifted, and so I'd be sure to use at least a 5ft launch guide / high-thrust motors.

This I will verify with the man at the top and confirm here today.

I have confirmed the above statement to be true. The adapter adds about 10g to the rear of the rocket, where there is a 20-30g difference on average from 29's to 24's. This would move your CG forward when going down to 24's, and make your rocket ever-so-slightly more stable.

My shipping started at over $19. But maybe that was because I had some parts to build a rocket from the 25 free plans pack. So i added another larger package kit I wanted and shipping was a little over $20. So I was happy with that. I feel afterburner's pain sometimes with the shipping calculation when I have had to delete something that caused the shipping to be irrational. However, others have said they get refunded in that case. The thing I struggled the most with after becoming a BAR was the shipping costs. I just wasn't use to paying for shipping. But after realizing these were very small operations and what they are actually charged to ship these lightweight packages I got over it......mostly.

If our shipping calculations are off, we do refund the difference. We process these returns everyday. We also always try and get orders into as small a box as we can while still being sure it will not get damaged enroute.

In reality we do everything we can to make sure you are paying as little as possible in shipping costs. Claiming we charge you $40 to ship an X-15 alone is disingenuous, and actively harmful.

@Saluki you may be the first confirmed delivery I have seen! I hope you enjoy the build! (We haven't had enough stock for me to pick one up yet :p)

Wow, Apogee has sold thru two batches of these at $105! I’ve been pondering if I wanted to spend that much on a kit but I think the debate is over - the X-15 is just too awesome, one of my favorites as a space-happy kid so why not? Besides, when you do some inflation calculations, if this kit had been available when Cox had their $6.00 plastic RTF model it would’ve cost less than $17.00 in 1972 inflate-o-bucks - I’d say the Apogee kit is well worth less than 3X the cost of a plastic RTF!

I looked at the kit on the website. It's a nice design. Nice they have build videos on the kit but I would never pay $105 plus whatever shipping costs. IMO there's no value. If the kit was maybe $75 that would be a good price. That's my opinion. Good luck to those who bought one.

I looked at the kit on the website. It's a nice design. Nice they have build videos on the kit but I would never pay $105 plus whatever shipping costs. IMO there's no value. If the kit was maybe $75 that would be a good price. That's my opinion. Good luck to those who bought one.
Sorry it's not to your liking! But thank you for the genuine feedback.

Looking forward to seeing these back in stock. Keep 'em coming! Who's going to do the first build thread?

Opened up my apogee package just now. I got a couple amazing looking kits!
20201030_205308.jpg20201030_205321.jpg
Also the apogee body tubes and parts I ordered are top notch quality! I recently got an NCR F-117 and now this X-15 from apogee and they are both super top notch kits for just over $100. IDK which to build first! Either way its been an awesome year for new products. Too many to list here. Here's to hoping all the kit makers keep up the good work!

Back