X-15 coming soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki

Reaction score
This is coming and I will definitely have to have a couple.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Model...ocket-Kits/X-15

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Advan...ketry_Video_316

I always thought ESTES should have done one of these a long time ago. I wonder why they didn't? I know they made a small one and the old Cox model but why not a nice buildable size one?

I just got the email, will be available from Oct. 27, 9 AM Mountain Time.
Price still to be determined as they are waiting final part information.
They expect a sell-out.
If you snooze you lose.

This is a BT-80 model which is nice mid-power option. I am also curious as to the price. SNG Aero also has a BT-80 version at $265, but I don’t think it has been proven to fly. Depend on the Apogee price tag I’m interested!

Price still to be determined as they are waiting final part information.
They expect a sell-out.
If you snooze you lose.

Depending on the price, if you snooze, you might stay ahead!
FYI - there are LOTs of cool mid-power Estes models coming out this Xmas season.

I do like the general shape and history of an X-15, but those big mid-airframe wings push CP far forward.
The only remedy for that is adding ballast to the nose cone. That makes the whole thing heavier, bulkier, and flyable only on the motors with high initial thrust (e.g.: composite motors, not BP).

I always thought ESTES should have done one of these a long time ago. I wonder why they didn't? I know they made a small one and the old Cox model but why not a nice buildable size one?

Likely related to Estes's last foray into X-15 producing a recall: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/recall-madness-now-estes-x-15.109639/

I bought an SNG Aero BT-80 X-15 when it first came out and it started out at a lower price than $265.00. I thought the first price was too high for what you got. The parts were there but there were no instructions other than their video on their site. So far I haven't seen anything about what size of engine to use for a stable flight. The decals are out of scale. I trust Apogee to give me a better product and I think it might be in the $200.00 or maybe lower range.

If you snooze you lose.
Only for a time,
We know this kit is going to be in high demand, and we are working hard to make sure that on the day of release, we have plenty to go around. Should we sell out of them all anyway, we will be updating our inventory with more kits as quickly as we can get them built.

I hope its not $200. For a near mass produced balsa and cardboard rocket i was thinking it would definitely be under $100. All the other Apogee kits are very reasonably priced IMO. I guess with a baffle and 30 inch parachute it may shock me. I might snooze for awhile then.

There are quite a few vacuform parts. I wold expect a minimum of 100.00.

I bought an SNG Aero BT-80 X-15 when it first came out and it started out at a lower price than $265.00. I thought the first price was too high for what you got. The parts were there but there were no instructions other than their video on their site. So far I haven't seen anything about what size of engine to use for a stable flight. The decals are out of scale. I trust Apogee to give me a better product and I think it might be in the $200.00 or maybe lower range.
I have the SNG BT-60 X-15. I couldn’t justify the $265 for the BT-80 version. I was hoping to see someone build and test the BT-80 SNG X-15.

That's expensive, but seems reasonable for what you're getting. I was certainly prepared for the price to be higher. I look forward to the first build thread!

Agreed. For $105, I will add it to my annual Apogee order.
I usually grab a few odds and ends from them once a year, and always order a few of their original kits, as an encouragement. If X-15 is in stock at the time I place my order, I will grab it.

a

Just placed my order. Thanks for this thread, or I would have missed the introduction.

Just putting this here too.
Sorry to all those who were looking to grab one this morning. I'll update you as soon as I have more information.

We knew the X-15 was going to be a popular choice and we expected it to sell well, so we made a lot of them. Even still we expected to sell out over the period of a few days, giving us enough time to properly assess demand and build out our stock accordingly.
This morning, we sold out in 27 minutes.
We are working hard to build more kits, and get more of the X-15's available to all who want them. I will update you with more information as it becomes available!
Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm for the X-15.

My hat is off to you Apogee. It's been a long time coming but finally, we have a good size X-15 produced by a rocket company for rocket people. Thank you.

The X-15 was sorta the Lamborghini or Ferrari (or put your favorite fast car here) of the space race. It was an X-plane, black, exotic, fast and flew to the edge of space. Oh, and that guy that first stepped on the moon flew one. For whatever reason (inherently unstable at scale?) not a popular kit to manufacture. Congratulations on a successful kit run.

@Apogee Components , don't mean to take too much of your time here, I want you to keep kitting more of these babies up! But have a quick question about using 24mm engines from your recommended list of those - your instructions are very clear that we shouldn't use a regular motor mount because of how exacting the stability issues are on this rocket—Tape only. But we'd have to use an adapter for a 24mm engine. Does the lesser weight of the smaller engine combined with the adapter weight still keep it within specs, stability-wise, or will there need to be adjustments made?
I ask because the 739 feet using an E-30T-4 is plenty high to make me happy, plus the lesser cost of those engines too.

This has been my thoughts also. I like to see my rockets in flight not send them out of sight.
@Apogee Components , don't mean to take too much of your time here, I want you to keep kitting more of these babies up! But have a quick question about using 24mm engines from your recommended list of those - your instructions are very clear that we shouldn't use a regular motor mount because of how exacting the stability issues are on this rocket—Tape only. But we'd have to use an adapter for a 24mm engine. Does the lesser weight of the smaller engine combined with the adapter weight still keep it within specs, stability-wise, or will there need to be adjustments made?
I ask because the 739 feet using an E-30T-4 is plenty high to make me happy, plus the lesser cost of those engines too.

Back