WWII Satire 'Jojo Rabbit' Aims to Make Everyone Laugh at Hitler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
It will be really entertaining to see the reactions to this (look at the down votes already on YouTube). I suspect I'll find it to be hilarious (see my sense of humor Venn diagram below; I'm not THAT bad; I'd say a 25% overlap would be more accurate).

WWII Satire 'Jojo Rabbit' Aims to Make Everyone Laugh at Hitler
4 Sep 2019

https://www.military.com/off-duty/2...o-rabbit-aims-make-everyone-laugh-hitler.html

Waititi first made a splash in America as the writer and director of the 2014 fake documentary vampire comedy "What We Do in the Shadows," in which he also plays the vampire Viago. The movie's growing cult following allowed him to create an excellent 2019 FX TV series that follows a different set of vampires living on Staten Island.

He also wrote, directed and performed the voice for the CGI character Korg in "Thor: Ragnarok," by far the funniest Marvel movie to date. He's slated to repeat those duties for "Thor: Love and Thunder" scheduled for release in 2021.

So now Waititi's got some juice in Hollywood. What does he do with that clout? He makes a World War II satire that's sure to offend the good people on both sides.

"Jojo Rabbit" is the story of Jojo "Rabbit" Betzler (Roman Griffin Davis), a 10-year-old boy who's trying to make his way as an awkward member of his local Hitler Youth chapter. Jojo learns that his mom (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl named Elsa Koor (Thomasin McKenzie) in the walls of their home and turns to his imaginary friend Adolf for advice.

The trailer also features Rebel Wilson as a Nazi leading a book burning, Sam Rockwell as a Nazi playing with firearms and Stephen Merchant as an enthusiastic Nazi. Waititi's dancing Hitler suggests that aspiring Nazis won't find much to enjoy in the movie.

And his Tweets suggest that anyone offended by coarse language might also want to stay clear.

The movie is set to make its world premiere on Sept. 8 at the Toronto International Film Festival and will open in U.S. theaters on Oct. 18.

993bce9a49fa6a64d258a00609b3be2e.jpg

Last edited:
Kenneth Mars was in both The Producers and Young Frankenstein as the town's inspector wearing a black eye patch with a bum arm. I wouldn't play darts with him. At least not with my back turned on him.

I know someone who sounds like the Hitler character when voicing one of his puppets which also has a moustache. An online puppet show out of Orlando, FL.

Well, the trailer does send mixed signals.
I've read that the guy playing Hitler is Jewish, intentionally chosen for that, so I'll let his participation be my guide to what is in bad taste, just like I took Mel Brook's permission to laugh at The Producers.

BTW, I've never watched a Thor movie, but when I saw the mention in the above blurb that Thor: Ragnarok was especially funny, I decided to watch it. A very entertaining movie that was pretty funny.

Back