WVSOAR Launch September 12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAllen

Reaction score
WVSOAR is having is monthly launch on September 12, 2009 at the Bob Evans Farm in Rio Grande, OH. All fliers are welcome. FAA waiver to 10k with a Full K motor limit. I recommend DD for all flights over 2k and don't recommend flights over 4k.

Launch fee is $10.00 for members and $15.00 for non-members.

Launching Starts at 10:00 am and ends when people are tired of launching. Waiver closes at 7 pm

Hope to see you there!

Joe Allen

Sweet.

Also, this is launch is technically a bring your own gear launch until we get some pads and a club launch controller, but several members have pads capable of support flights up to K and beyond. I've got a pad that would easily support a 60-70 lb rocket and a 6' 1515 and a 6' 1010 rails as well. My launch controller (rather the battery) needs some work though.

Regards,
Joe Allen

Sweet.

Also, this is launch is technically a bring your own gear launch until we get some pads and a club launch controller, but several members have pads capable of support flights up to K and beyond. I've got a pad that would easily support a 60-70 lb rocket and a 6' 1515 and a 6' 1010 rails as well. My launch controller (rather the battery) needs some work though.

Regards,
Joe Allen

Thanks for the info Joe, I have a 8' 1515 rail with a Fade to Black launch pad so I will plan on bringing it with me. Let me ask around and I might be able to bring a larger "club style launch controller" I have a Quick Burst Nova controller that I use on my personal field but it would be kinda a PITB to move it from pad to pad at a club launch.

Sweet. We are looking at getting some club equipment in the future, we just have to bolster our treasury at the moment so we can do so. (The club launch controller is first on the list I think so we can set up to keep better control of the range as more members join.

The long range weather forecast is looking good so far and I have planned flights of 1-H238, 2-I357's,1-J420, 1-J460 and 1 K695. I got a e-mail last night from Lee at Merlin Missiles (motor vender:) ) and he will be there as well. I didn't have any luck finding a club launch controller so hopefully the guys will have something available.

Sounds good. See you there tomorrow.... I thought I flew a lot of rockets, you're going to easily outdo me!!!!! (I flew 5 successfully at the last launch). We should have a few launch controllers there that will work.

I've only got 2-3 flights planned this time as I haven't had time to do any prep work yet. A 5 or 6 grain CTI K sparky or a J800T, a H128W, and maybe a few E or F motors.

Weather forecast looks GREAT! Looking forward to tomorrow.

I'm ready to go and my first flight will be the K695, I need to fly that rocket first so I can take the altimeters out of it and put in my other rockets. I fit everything in the car and will be leaving @ 7:30, I think it will take me about 2 hours or so to get there. I'm looking forward to flying with all you WV folks so lets hope for a great launch.

It turned out to be a great launch with outstanding weather and people. I do all my prep work at home and I was ready to fly when I arrived, I needed the altimeters out of my Big Nuke 3E for other rockets so I started the launch out right with a K695R.
DSC00015.jpg

Up and away to 1,864', no photo's of the recovery because it was getting close to the vehicles and I was worried about it landing on someones car hood but it was a perfect recovery.
DSC00017.jpg

Next I put up my LOC/Precision HyperLOC 835 on a J420R, this was the first flight for my Feather weight Raven beta unit and it worked perfectly.
DSC00041.jpg

On the way down
DSC00042.jpg

Barry Lynch put up his Doorknob with a J330.
DSC00069.jpg

He borrowed my SkyAngle 52 out my HyperLOC for the recovery.
DSC00092.jpg

I then put up my TZ750 on a I161
DSC00122.jpg

This is JAllen's rocket on the way down, I didn't get the lift-off shot because I was recovering 1 of my own rockets.
DSC00128.jpg

The flight line.
DSC00144.jpg

Lee from Merlin Missiles put this up on a G69 Skid, I swear that thing was as load as my K motor going up.
DSC00162.jpg

On the way down.
DSC00163.jpg

Lee watching to see if he would score a car, it missed.
DSC00169.jpg

Nice up-scale here on a J275
DSC00178.jpg

Perfect deployment.
DSC00182.jpg

going up!
DSC00205.jpg

No deployment..
DSC00207.jpg

The result
DSC00210.jpg

I had a great time and hope I can make another 1 soon.

Mark

Thanks for the photos Mark and for attending.

That goes for everyone who was able to make it. Launching in Ohio in the middle of Summer with no threat of corn or bean recovery is a treat. We had a very successful launch and will have two more before the end of the year. I had a great time and we brought five more wallets, I mean members into high power with successful level 1 certifications.

All are welcome to come and fly with us but you may have to bear with us as we go through some growing pains.

We were treated in the early morning with some fly bys of a couple of F-16's and a couple of heli's too. I guess they wanted to see what the NOTAM was all about. :)

Latest posts

Back