wRASP problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELBRAZ

Reaction score
I've got a machine running Windows XP that has happily run wRASP for years. In the last week or so, wRASP will only run 10-15 seconds before shutting down. I've done all the usual compatibility drills with no effect. I haven't changed any security settings or installed any MS downloads. Any ideas what the heck is going on?
-Braz

Under properties for the application what software compatibilty did you use, Win 95, Win 98 or Win NT? Try setting this to Win 95.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Win 95 is the setting it has been running on since 2002.
-Braz

Did you run a virus and spyware check? Also try defragmenting the hard drive and try deleting any ~*.tmp files.

you didn't by chance get the new Service Pack 2 for XP on your system did you? if so, try uninstalling the service pack.
SP2 broke several things on my laptop. Some one had told me that you could not uninstall SP2 but it was in the add/remove programs list and the uninstall did remove it. Everything worked fine after uninstalling it.

I have heard many have no problem with SP2 and many have major problems.

Just defragged, run my spyware catcher, and I'm still running on PAC1. No virus activity, Compatibility set to WIN 95. wRASP still runs 10 seconds and shuts down. sheesh.

what are you running for spyware scanning software?

I have found that its a good idea to run a couple different ones - I use Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de) and Spybot Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org)

What one misses the other catches. Using these in combination is much more effective than either one by itself.

Also, be sure you have the latest updates to the spyware defintion list for both programs.

Spyware is a huge problem, most of it is benign but there a quite a few out there that break things. Some by intent, some because of faulty codiing.

If you are running XP you might try a system restore if you have a restore point.

I have had PCs in my shop that were completely useless because of Spyware - had on elast week with over 400 instances,

Some will not remove, they will initially look like they are gone but when you reboot they reload themselves from a hidden file somewhere disguised as a system file. In those case I usually google the name of the offending spyware and find a manual removal method.

Since the software was running fine at one time, it sounds like there was a change made to your operating system that is causing these problems.

You might try visiting the wRASP down load site and replacing the two Borland support DLL files posted there visit:

https://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/CGibke/wrasp.htm

If that doesn't work you might contact Chuck Gibke who wrote the windows version of the program at:

[email protected]

Back