WP #5. How Many Countries Have You Been To?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by cls
how many countries that do not exist any more? for example, I went to East Germany in 1982.

anyone been to Yugoslavia?

It was the USSR when i visited russia and spent a few days in Leningrad, which of course is now st Petersburgh now.

Cath

Originally posted by cls

Yup - 1975 when Tito still ran the place and everyone was very friendly to British tourists.

Also ... Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, Russia.

Further away - Kenya, Uganda (in Amins time - had to be very careful), Tanzania,
UAE, China (HK), Singapore, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia.

And last (but my no means least) Canada and USA (nearly half of the lower 48 and Alaska).

I could add Thailand (under the - got off the plane and hung around for an hour rules) and Greece - but I stayed on the plane. Oh - and I count Britain as one nation.

None of this was with the military or gov.

Germany, Italy, England, Spain, Portugal (AZORES), Holland, Mexico, Canada

Does California count?:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Germany, Italy, England, Spain, Portugal (AZORES), Holland, Mexico, Canada, Saudi, Bahrain
165x165_bahrain_m.gif

Does California count?:D

Here's some shameless bragging . . .

. . . what noone else been into North Korea?!

Depends how you count. Generously, at least 30 I can remember.

US, Canada, Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, New Zealand, Australia, Tonga, Japan, Korea, China, Oman, Morocco, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Monaco, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Vatican City, Ireland

Nearly countries: USVI (US), Puerto Rico (US), Scotland (UK), Turks and Caicos (UK), BVI (UK)

Longest stay: 7 months in New Zealand
Most times: UK (5+),France (4), Italy (3)
Most Fear Factor meals eaten: Korea
Farthest lattitudes: Barrow AK and Slope Point, New Zealand

2 or 3 cant remember if ive been to canada but around 9 if you count airports
the 2 or these are USA, Greece

U.S., Canada, Mexico, Hati, Puerto Rico, Germany, and I've seen Cuba from a boat, but never been there. Maybe some other European countries around Germany that I don't remember (I was 2 at the time)

At least 28

US Canada Mexico Panama Honduras

Iceland Norway UK Ireland Holland Belgium Germany france Spain Switzerland Portugal Italy Turkey Austria

Egypt Senegal Chad Ethiopia Namibia Bahrain Saudi Arabia UAE Israel

Also most of the caribibean islands the Azors and Ascension island

Almost all due to flying heavys in the Airforce.

Mark

Mach 7: you're a Maddog driver?

I'm on the guppy, although the 800 & 900 models are hardly a "guppy".:D

Thrasher,

Yup I fly the Mad Dog! I have flown the '37-900 and your right it can hardly be called a guppy. I'm trying to get the name albatros to stick:D

I love the Mad Dog, but will probably have to go back to the guppy next year :(

You fly for UsAir?

Mark

how many countries that do not exist any more? for example, I went to East Germany in 1982.

Yep, East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia all in the late '80's.

Also, England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany (technically, that's 3 countries, East, West & reunified...), Austria, Hungary (very briefly - only just within the rules, IIRC), Spain, Luxemburg, Northern Ireland, Denmark, USA. And like Hokky, the People's Republic of South Yorkshire - I think working there for 7 years classes as internment! Can't recall anywhere else I've been, but I'll update if I remember anywhere else.

Places I want to go but haven't got round to yet: Poland, Canada, Egypt, Iceland, New Zealand and Australia.

G.

US
Guam
Spent 4 months of 2000 in Thailand :D (A bad spot for a 24 year old male to spend 4 months or a very good one :D )

Originally posted by JRThro
I was going to ask you about that. How did you happen to be in North Korea?

I crossed the DMZ on semiofficial business.

Hmmm..

US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bahamas

England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland

Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, S'pore, Australia, NZ.

Kuwait, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel and Jordan.

That's what, 38 countries? Most of my travel was done in the 80's and 90's as a tech rep and in aerospace/defence sales and marketing positions.

I don't enjoy travel these days - security concerns and hassles plus company expense cutbacks took out all the fun. Getting delayed in Hong Kong last year (a coughing passenger from Beijing, suspected SARs case, was on my flight) as well as being on a UK-NY flight that was diverted to Montreal on 9/11 were both recent eye-openers.

Having said that, I had a blast in my 20's getting exposure to different cultures and people at a great time to be a traveling American. I also spent 2-1/2 years in the UK and became very enamored of the people and British history.

Favorite place visited - Christchurch, NZ and Surfer's Paradise, AUS

Least - Taipei or Mexico City

Best food - Buenos Aires (steaks!), Madrid (tapas!),

Worst - Beijing, Taipei, Egypt

Best place to be young(ish) and single - Any Scandinavian country, Brazil, and Japan (oh yeah, think Roppongi and Ginza districts).

Barry

8: Scotland - twice, Spain - 2 hours, Italy - 2 hours, Bahrain - 9 hours, Japan - 2 weeks, Guam - 3 weeks, Austrailia -3 days, Bahamas - 3 days -- Ain't the submarine life great!

Originally posted by Fore Check
....and Texas.
Finally someone who understands...

txflag.jpg

The only state that entered the US as a sovereign nation and by treaty.

Meanwhile:
  1. Canada
  2. Mexico
  3. Cuba
  4. Austrailia
  5. Does Antarctica count?
  6. Germany
  7. Great Britain
  8. Jamaica
  9. The Cayman Islands
  10. The Netherlands Antillies
  11. Japan
  12. Dominica
  13. The Conch Republic
    [/list=1]

Originally posted by wwattles

According to the laws of maritime tradition, I am a member of:
The Order of Magellan (circumnavigation of the Earth)
The Order of the Ditch (Passage through the Panama Canal)
The Order of the Shellback (Crossing the Equator via ship, and undergoing the requisite purification ceremony)
The Order of the Golden Dragon (Crossing the International Date Line via ship)
The Order of the Spanish Main (Passage through the Caribbean via ship)

WW

Oh geeze...
  • Order of the Blue Nose (Northern Domain of the Polar Bear)
  • Order of the Red Nose (Southern Domain of the Emperor Penguin)
  • Order of the Square Rigger (USCGC Eagle ~ Summer 1984)
  • Order of the Spanish Main ~ Caribbean Operations traversing the passages (Mona & Windward)

Not sure what this will add up to. Here goes: Australia (home), New Zealand, Fiji, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Vatican City, Belgium, USA, Canada, Monaco, Spain, Croatia, Boznia and Herzigovina, Slovenia, Hungary, Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, United Arab Emirates.

Total: 26

Bit of a necro thread, but I have given it a jump-start!

Lessee... (Since we are back from the grave):

US, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Denmark, Israel, England and Uganda. Add American Samoa if you are counting airports...

And, of course, TEXAS!

6 continents, 25 countries

North America (3)
U.S. (home)
Mexico
Canada

South America (1)
Brazil (on business)

Europe (17)
England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Iceland
Germany
France
Austria
Poland
Slovakia
Czech Republic
Hungary
Greece
Italy
Belgium
The Netherlands

Asia (on business) (1)
Japan

Africa (1)
Egypt

Australia (1)
Australia

New Zealand

Albania, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Haiti, Hungary, Iceland, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jaimaca, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudia Arabia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom.

So I have always set a personal rule for myself in that I don’t consider myself to have visited a country unless I spent at least one night or at least 12+ hours visiting outside an airport. With that being said I have visited:

Canada, Mexico, Iceland, Ecuador, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Monaco, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania, the Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Mongolia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia

I am probably forgetting a few and I have also spent a bit of time in airports in Russia, Japan and South Korea.

Other than Mexico all of my travels have been solely for pleasure.

Latest posts

Back