Wow, those Polecat Kits are pretty cool looking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
I was at the ROC launch last weekend, and the What's Up Hobby's vendor was there.

He had the full line of the Polecat (formerly Skunkworks) kits. Wow! those kits are huge! There was a fully-assembled 5.5" Honest John on display as well; I put it on video-tape. I also caught a rocket (7.5" bullpup?) going up on an L850 on tape, but didn't have the camera ready for the highlight of the day: An all carbon-fiber min. diameter rocket going up on a K1100... that was a sight to see! :eek: :D

I bought a PML phobos while I was there, along with a G75-J load to go with the 180ns Dr. Rocket casing I already have, as well as misc. items (more epoxy, igniters, adapters etc).

However, I've been rather distracted by real life over the past couple weeks, so I've not done any new building of my own. Once I have the time (probably not for a couple more weeks), I will continue work on my Loc Viper III, and then once that is complete, start in on the Phobos.

I currently don't have the means to convert from VHS tape ( my camera is old) to online video, but one of these days I will try to get streaming video up on my website.

The Polecat kits are nice indeed. Fiberglass nose cones, pre-glassed tubes, and baltic birch fins. I met Andy Woerner (owner of Polecat Aerospace & What's Up Hobbies) at Hellfire and bought a Skeeter kit from him. Very nice guy, very nice kit. I'm planning to cert L1 and L2 with that rocket at Plaster Blaster next month.

Polecat indeed makes some very sweet kits. A guy in my club has the 5.5" Nike Smoke & its built to last. Perhaps the only knock I can think of (& it really NOT a bad thing!) is that their kits are so well made, you can build one in no time flat! (I've developed a liking for cutting & slotting my own tubes & whatnot :rolleyes: )

Enjoy the PML Phobos too. Great, great kit. Stays relatively low on G motors but you can really send it up on Pro38 H153s :D

hey guys, that makes at least 5 TRFers at the last ROC - next time we definitely gotta all meet up!!

Utah, congrats on the Skeeter. it's a very easy kit and a real crowd pleaser.

I bought a Polecat 10" Nike Smoke on Saturday for L3 cert & general money wasting. I guess that makes 4 Skunkworks/Polecat kits we've bought. they are all made to the same high quality level.

if you want a nice finish on the airframe, run some 120 grit sandpaper over it. not enough to cut through the glass but just to take the high stuff off. then use a lot of high build primer, and sand that well before painting.

I saw a Skeeter that was really really nicely finished. the guy had put a coating of glass & epoxy on the airframe and fins. it looked just great but added a tremendous amount of weight. the poor thing would barely fly on J motors! ours flies on I motors and blasts on Js.

as with everything else in life, there is a compromise ...

that their kits are so well made, you can build one in no time flat!
No kidding! At Hellfire someone bought a 5.5" Nike Smoke kit and had Andy build it for him on the spot. Less than an hour from purchase to first flight. Flew again later that day.

I certainly agree with the quality of these kits.
I have the 10" Saturn V and my daughter has the 7"or 7.5"? Thumper.
Both great kits and not all his kits are so easy to build.
The Staturn V is quite challenging.

Originally posted by cls
hey guys, that makes at least 5 TRFers at the last ROC - next time we definitely gotta all meet up!!

A few more than that, actually. Myself and 3 other TRFers drove up from Riverside for that launch. They all completed their lvl1 certs that day, just before the range was closed for flash flooding :)

I am considering buying the 5.5" Thumper Jr., just cause it's short and fat :)

I am considering going to the November ROCstock. It's mainly a money issue at this point - but it definately looks very possible. I already have my parent's approval, and my dad actually told me he is considering going with me! SWEET! :D :D :D

Jason

Originally posted by cls
I bought a Polecat 10" Nike Smoke on Saturday for L3 cert & general money wasting. I guess that makes 4 Skunkworks/Polecat kits we've bought. they are all made to the same high quality level.

I'm jealous.

Really.

WOW that's gonna be one heck of a L3 flight!

We gotta all meet up at ROCStock... SATs are on the same weekend as the October launch ( :mad: ) so I can't make it... but we'll certainly be at ROCStock!

I'lll be going to RocStock as well, hopefully for my own L1 cert :D

BTW...I captured on video some of the flash flooding that I encountered during the drive back through Victerville. :cool:

rocstock is definitely on the calendar! I've agreed to help out with a "special project" and it's mandatory I show up. but I go to every launch. who's going, can at least some of us TRFers meet up in September?

oh yeah, back to CatHouse Aerospace kits or whatever they are called this week:

I've found I get more dings & scrapes on the airframe tubes from transportation (rattling around in the back of the truck) than I do from landings on the playa. some of the damage appears to be "smears" where the glass actually slides a little. mebbee I should post a picture.

the tubes are nicely glassed but it's polyester resin and gelcoat which remains quite soft. the styrene smells nice too. anyways, consider making a cradle for your kit. or at least wrap it carefully in a sleeping bag or blanket.

I'll be at ROCstock as well. Also working on a "special project". It should be a lot of fun. I can't make it to Sept. though, i have other plans...

Like going to BALLS! :D I can't wait. Only 22 days away!

Originally posted by strudleman
A few more than that, actually. Myself and 3 other TRFers drove up from Riverside for that launch. They all completed their lvl1 certs that day, just before the range was closed for flash flooding :)

I was one of those TRF'ers from Riverside that weekend. I met CLS at RockStock this past June when I saw his Polecat Saturn V (R.I.P.). Would be nice to meet a few more folks out there! We should get a flag made or something to identify us..

Whatcha think Sean, Skull and Cross Bones with Team XPD8 on it? <grin>

-Chris

Yeah....I've been eying that 10 inch Saturn V and was even bidding on one just this week on ROL, thought I might get a deal, but alas it got up to $720 dollars and that was just a little too much. Great kit, but my wifed would do many unmentionable things to me if I spent $800 on a rocket.

Andy said he was only producing 25 of these kits....anybody know how many have been sold so far?

well, my wife did kill me for spending $800 on a rocket. then she killed me again because we didn't keep it. but I survived being killed, long enough to get killed again for buying the Nike. if I survived you can survive too!

anyways I think all the Saturn V kits are gone or there may be one left, worth a phone call or email. I am sure he would make another run of kits if there were enough demand.

oh yeah, we definitely need a TRF flag or something. I wonder if Pete will let us copy the logo and print it on a bedsheet or towel or better yet a piece of ripstop nylon.

When I talked to him at Hellfire (2 weeks ago), he said there was 1 or 2 left.

Latest posts

Back