Wow... it's been a long time...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by blackbrandt, Dec 4, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 5, 2018 #31

grouch

grouch

grouch

I guess this means all the free post in the wanted section will be scooped up faster than usual. All joking aside....rockoooooon??? Come on man, seriously?

2. Dec 5, 2018 #32

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

In search of a good winter project TRF Supporter

...and even harder to modify.

APL was by far the most fun of any language to learn, since it indulges one's natural tendency to write the cleverest, most cryptic implementation possible. Expand data to a six-dimensional array and the reduce it back to get a single value result? Totally cool if it saves a character. :)

3. Dec 5, 2018 #33

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Long cry from the kid I met at Orangeburg. Welcome back.

4. Dec 5, 2018 #34

les

les

les

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Welcome back!
    As a side note, I had a coworker who proudly proclaimed in a 50,000 line software module he had one comment that he placed in the middle of the code
    "If you mess with this code it will never work again"

Mightyrocketman likes this.
  5. Dec 5, 2018 #35

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

A friend of mine placed a very confident comment that said “Should never get here,” followed by an error message in the code that said “Oh no, Mr. Bill!”
    The comment was wrong.

6. Dec 5, 2018 #36

samb

samb

samb

Lifetime Member

THIS !!!

Like Newton’s Laws of Motion, Knuth is foundational stuff. Languages, environments, and methodologies come, go and evolve. And we all know... Bill Gates didn’t get rich writing code.

7. Dec 5, 2018 #37

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

Matt, I keep hearing a Beatles song...

It's been a long time,
    Now I'm
    Coming back home.

I've been away, now
    Oh, how
    I've been alone....

8. Dec 7, 2018 #38

Sabrina

Sabrina

Sabrina

The WildChild

That's a very nice picture!

9. Dec 7, 2018 #39

ecarson

ecarson

ecarson

When I was in college (many moons ago), an Aerospace Engineering major had to have first level thermodynamics down solid, as it segued into propulsion. Piston, jet, and rocket thermodynamics. My first stab at it was a class taught by a graduate teaching assistant, all of 25 to 27 years old maybe. She had me completely and totally lost by the second day of classes. After a couple of weeks, I dropped the course. This did not bode well for my success in getting the degree.

I was told by some buddies of mine, to get a certain instructor. I managed to get a class with him the next semester. An older guy, close to retirement. I was completely astounded. The guy used a lot of very clear and concise graphs and charts he made himself. He made it crystal clear, and took precise and deliberate steps in his presentation. Example after example, and I began to wonder why I feared this subject. It was then I realized the vast difference between an excellent teacher, and a mediocre one.

Years later, I taught a few night classes myself in quality control at a vocational technical school to maintain a professional certification I held for my day job. The pay was pretty good too, for moonlighting. It seems like I unconsciously tried to emulate that instructor, as I later was told I had been one of the better teachers they had because I used so many charts and graphs to illustrate points.

Long time ago. Now I'm the retired guy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. Dec 7, 2018 #40

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

Thermo isn't much fun to teach. Particularly when facing a class of engineering students. Physics and chemistry students can sometimes find something to interest them in the class, but engineers -- generally speaking -- have little tolerance for ambiguity, and less patience with mathematical formalism.

While the more experienced instructor may, in fact, have been a better teacher -- if you did not fear thermodynamics, he was not doing a thorough job of teaching it. <smile>

Not to denigrate either the instructor, or your estimation of his ability, but "Example after example..." is how you teach a class when you are tired of scoring exams with petulant notes from aggrieved students in place of solutions: "You never went over anything like this in class!' or "This wasn't in the homework."