Would this REALLY fly?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Hey,

Mucking about on rocksim, and I decided to see how long a rocket I could launch on a C motor.

I coupled 6 36" BT20's together, and stuck a BNC-20Y on top. At the end of each BT is an identical 3 set of fins. the motor would be fricion fitted.

For recovery, I would split it into two in the middle, and heve them come down on seperate 'chutes.

Now, could someone please tell me what is wrong with this. I already know I wouldn't be able to launch this on an Estes Porta-Pad!

Rocksim Screenshot attached in a post below

OOh, what size 'chutes would you guys reccomend?

Phil

Thats a BIG rocket :D - But also a BIG picture :(

Post the pic as an atachment, for the sake of us dial-up users with small monitors.

Does RockSim recommend a chute size?
I did a quick sim on SpaceCad and it says an 18" chute would work for the whole thing. I would put a 12" on the forward section and 14" on the aft section depending on how the weight breaks out.
Rough altitude on a C was about 513 feet. Space Cad says you need a launch rod at least 6 feet long for a safe launch.
JR

Sorry, its easy to forget how slow dial up is when you dont have it any more.

here it is as an attatchment:

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Rough altitude on a C was about 513 feet. Space Cad says you need a launch rod at least 6 feet long for a safe launch.
JR [/B]

Hmmm... Rocksim said about 281ft on a C6-3. Oh, I've just checked, there was a 2mph wind in the simulation. It says 367ft with no wind

Firstly your weight of 155g exceeds the recommended lift off weight for a C6-5.

You've also got the practical problem of the rocket bending in the middle, 5m of 18mm card tube would bend once the motor started thrusting, if not before.

Would be cool though.

Dunno what you're folks would make of having that around the house!

Luckely I live the bacholars lifestyle, so I've got nobody to p***-**f, by having 1/4 of the hallway taken up by an unpainted Richter Recker. Thats only 2.3m, and its obscenely huge! :eek:

Originally posted by Mike
Firstly your weight of 155g exceeds the recommended lift off weight for a C6-5.

Absolutely... check the simulation details to see how long it takes for this thing to get up to a safe speed. I bet it says you need a launch rod taller than your house. :)

whoa that thing is big. If it didnt work on a C you could try a D13. Then it would probably crimp

Wik:
Aside for the real world wind problem, and all those forward fins, this isn't anything new! I think the longest models I've actually see fly in competition was a tooth pic rocket... I mean it way made of tooth pics and flew on an A10-0 just clearing the 3' launch "tower" to pop a tiny streamer winning the event. This rocket at 17 feet plus, flown back in the very early 70's is the reason there is a length limit in superroc competitions. Could your model fly... yes, should you try..Now that's another question.
Ya might want to channel your creative juices into a space frame design that will take the structural loading and side wind loads without adding all the weight of the tubeing. Yes you could design and build a 20 foot model that you could build and would fly on a motor smaller than a C. It's been designed and built, actually for a maryland funny meet a year or so ago:D NO pictures, cause I don't want to overly influence your design freedom:D:D:D Think about it!!!
Happy designing!

Originally posted by Micromister
NO pictures, cause I don't want to overly influence your design freedom:D:D:D

:( please, just one pic???

Back