would this be... legal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
well lately ive been itching to get my hands on some bigger power for rockets cause i cant stand the poowed i cant get outta d's...

im just wondering would it be... legal... (or if theres some way i could pull it off) if i got my dad to go out for lvl 1 with a rocket i built...

now if that wouldn't work would it be alright if i "assisted" him alot in the building then taught him everything i know about rockets?

Technically...NO it wouldn't.

You could "help" I guess.

The person that certs must be responsable for the entire construction of the model, not just the launching of it.

You can still fly E's F's and most G's.

With your dad's help

sandman

Yeh if you're playing around with D's you're going to be impressed with the F and G loads.

Heck i'm still impressed with G64's, not to mention G80's and G40's... oh yeah and i love the G33.. heh..

wait wha? i thought... huh? i heard they moved the liscences for f and g up to lvl 1? wha?

nope L1 is for Hs and Is. Es Fs and Gs are for anyone to use ( but you technically need to be over 18 to buy them)

To buy them yes, but to use them, no. As long as your parent buys em....:D

I did a little work on my dad's L1 project... i did the inside fillets, and mixed his epoxy for him once or twice, but thats it:D :rolleyes: But I think the person who is doing the flying should do most of the building.

Es Fs and Gs are for anyone. I have a ratehr large stock of em myself...:D ;) :p :cool:

rabid:
A person under age 18 can purchase and use DEF motors that are Single Use (not reloadable) and have a propellant weight of < 62.5 gram propellant.

You must be 18 yr old to purchase both single use G size or ANY Reloadable motor,regardless of size,including DEF.

IF you are under age 18, your parent(s) can purchase G size SU motors or Reloadable motors(DEFG), and under adult supervision, you can use such motors in your model or large model rockets.

Just remember that if the model + engine weighs more than 16oz/1lb then it becomes a Large Model Rocket (>16 oz/1lb and <= 3.3 lb (53 oz) ) and if you launch it within 5 miles of an airport you must first call the sirport and let them know. You do not have to get a FAA waiver for LMR .

From NFPA 1122: Code for Model Rocketry

4.4.1 A model rocket shall weigh no more than 453 g (16 oz) at liftoff, including propellant.
4.4.2 A model rocket shall use no more than 113 g (4 oz) of
propellant, unless one of the following is met:
(1)* A model rocket that weighs in excess of 453 g (16 oz) but not
more than 1500 g (53 oz), including propellant, shall be permitted if the Federal Aviation Administration notice requirements are met.
(2) A model rocket that uses more than 113 g (4 oz) but less than
or equal to 125 g (4.4 oz) of propellant, shall be permitted if the
Federal Aviation Administration notice requirements are met.

4.8.1 A model rocket with an installed total propellant weight
exceeding 113 g (4 oz) but less than or equal to 125 g (4.4 oz) shall comply with the additional operating notice requirements as set forth in 14 CFR, 101.3 through 101.25, “Federal Aviation Administration Regulations.”
4.8.2 Type G motors with an installed total impulse of more than 80 N-s(18 lb-s), but not more than 160 N-s (36 lb-s), shall be permitted to be used by individuals 18 years old and older.

FAA Large Model Rocket Notification Info:

When launching rockets which fall within this definition, FAA regulations require that the nearest Air Traffic
Control center (ATC) and any airports within five nautical miles be notified of the launch between 24 and
48 hours prior to the launch. This is notification and not permission. Phone numbers for FAA ATC’s may
be found in the Transportation/FAA section of the white pages under the Federal Government listings.
When notifying the FAA, provide the following information.
Notice of Large Model Rocket Launch - FAR 101.22
Pursuant to the requirements set down in Federal Aviation Regulation 101.22, this is a notice of a launch
event for Large Model Rockets. For your information, a Large Model Rocket is defined as a model that
uses not more than 125 grams of propellant, made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic, containing no
substantial metal parts, and weighing not more than 1,500 grams including propellant. A model rocket,
exempt from regulation as per FAR 101, Subpart C, is identical in definition except that its maximum
weight is 453 grams and its maximum propellant weight is 113 grams. The following information is
specifically required by this regulation:
Name, address, and telephone number of Launch Coordinator:
Location of Launch Site:
Date and Time of Launch Operation:
Estimated Number of Rockets to be Operated:
Estimated Size and Weight:
Estimated Maximum Altitude:
As per the requirements of FAR 101.23, this launch event will be cancelled if the horizontal visibility is less
than five miles or if the sky is more than five-tenths obscured at the maximum estimated altitude. In
addition, if surface winds exceed a steady 20 miles per hour, this launch event will also be cancelled for
safety reasons.
This notice, or equivalent information via telephone, is being provided to the FAA and to all known airports
within a 5 nautical mile radius of the above-named launch location.

oh its 16 oz at launch?

hmm... k a few of mine gotta go on diets...

and thanks for the info on the engines...

anyone know where you can buy em? i looked for places online but all i found was non-child friendly sites :D

rabid:
look in the Propulsion section here in TRF for my Motor Dealer Listing.....

Hobbylinc,A2Zz and Greatlakes will all sell a minor(<18 yr age) Single Use(SU) DEF motors..

They will ship USPS parcel post...

Countdown Hobbies is next door to you in Connecticut so you may want to check them out first..

Also hanger 11 sells SU Aerotech DEF motors so you also may want to check them out as they are in NJ......

You may need to get your mom/dad to order them for you but that should not be a major impediment to purchases...

As always I recommend that you call and get to know who you are dealing with first and then make online orders next.....

Also you might want to contact some local NAR sections for help:

Mitchell S. Pines
107 Warner Avenue
Roslyn Heights NY 11577
(516) 621-1615

Activities: Demo and sport launches; high power rocketry; educational programs.
HPR Support: Waivers to 4,000'; Level 1 & 2 certifications.

They may be close to you...

good luck

heres all you have to do when you launch large model rockets:

Large Model Rockets - Notification Required
Per NFPA and FAR regulations, large model rockets weigh 1 to 3.3 pounds (454 to 1500 grams) at launch
and contain less than 125 grams of total fuel. Model rockets which weigh less than one (1) pound at
launch but which contain between 113 and 125 grams of total fuel also fall under this classification. . In accordance with the safety codes, these rockets must use only pre-manufactured, solid propellant motors, and do not use metal body tubes, nose
cones or fins.
When launching rockets which fall within this definition, FAA regulations require that the nearest Air Traffic
Control center (ATC) and any airports within five nautical miles be notified of the launch between 24 and
48 hours prior to the launch. THIS IS NOTIFICATION AND NOT PERMISSION. Phone numbers for FAA ATC’s may
be found in the Transportation/FAA section of the white pages under the Federal Government listings.

When notifying the FAA, provide the following information:
This is a Notice of Large Model Rocket Launch - FAR 101.22
Pursuant to the requirements set down in Federal Aviation Regulation 101.22, this is a notice of a launch
event for Large Model Rockets. For your information, a Large Model Rocket is defined as a model that
uses not more than 125 grams of propellant, made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic, containing no
substantial metal parts, and weighing not more than 1,500 grams including propellant. A model rocket,
exempt from regulation as per FAR 101, Subpart C, is identical in definition except that its maximum
weight is 453 grams and its maximum propellant weight is 113 grams. The following information is
specifically required by this regulation:
Name, address, and telephone number of Launch Coordinator: YOU
Location of Launch Site:
Date and Time of Launch Operation:
Estimated Number of Rockets to be Operated:
Estimated Size and Weight:
Estimated Maximum Altitude:
As per the requirements of FAR 101.23, this launch event will be cancelled if the horizontal visibility is less
than five miles or if the sky is more than five-tenths obscured at the maximum estimated altitude. In
addition, if surface winds exceed a steady 20 miles per hour, this launch event will also be cancelled for
safety reasons.
This notice, or equivalent information via telephone, is being provided to the FAA and to all known airports
within a 5 nautical mile radius of the above-named launch location.

Back