Would this be a new TRF record?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
It's about -14 deg this morning, & I'm guessing it'll get a tad cooler about sunup.
If I go launch this morning will that be a "TRF low temp launch record" or has somwone already done colder? If it's no record I'll stay home & drink coffee until wee get a cold day.
Vance in AK.

Vance,
WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY?! You can have the record for the coldest launch... I don't want any part of that!!

...Meanwhile I'm going to stay right where I am right now & go for the warmest launch for the month of November: it was clear skies & in the low 80s just yesterday when I launched a few :cool: (I'd be willing to bet there are/were some other Florida based TRFers that could gimme a run for my money though! haha)

Stay warm!

Vance,

We've launched in cold weather, but not quite *that* cold. I beleive our coldest meet hit -5F. That was our Kelvin meet on a frozen lake here in NH.

I swear it was so cold I thought the parachutes were going to shatter upon opening! LOL

Go for it! :)

Well the last temp I saw as I was headed out to launch was -16.
By the time I got home from launching it was up to -12.
So, for lack of anything official I'll split the difference & call it a
-14 deg launch.
I'll admit it was a bit chilly. Rocket was prepped at home & rode in cab of semi warm pickup. Only took about a minute to set out pad & launch control.
I really appreciated my 12 volt lawn tractor battery launch system with good quality flexible 14 ga extension cord for wiring at this temp.
Engine was a C6-5, & the ship was the old standby Big Bertha.
Ignition was instantanious(sp), & flight was great. The 18" Estes nylon chute was more of a streamer, but that posed no problem as there is about 8" of dry powdery snow.
Whole thing might have been a bit scary for Phil though. There were 7 moose within sight in my launch/recovery area. I was surrounded. And when it's that cold, moose are never in a good mood....
Vance in AK.

Isn't a moose kind of like a giant cow with HORNS? Yeah, you're right on that one - Phillus would have been in the truck with the motor running ready for a quick get-away. :eek: :D ;)

The coldest i have known over here in the U.K. is -8 and that was in the middle of the night,in a cold spell that lasted no longer than a week.So i don't think any one over here is going to set any cold weather records:)

Originally posted by Vance in AK
Whole thing might have been a bit scary for Phil though. There were 7 moose within sight in my launch/recovery area. I was surrounded. And when it's that cold, moose are never in a good mood....

Holy crap, MOOOOOOOSE!!! I would have been in the next state... :) Do Moose chase?

Actually, at -16F you would have never got my butt out of the bed. Moose or no moose.

Originally posted by arthur dent
So i don't think any one over here is going to set any cold weather records:)
But we could go for the wettest launch record - bloomin' rain! :)

I'm with Phil...I try not to go out if its in the 40's! That's + 40's BTW.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Holy crap, MOOOOOOOSE!!! I would have been in the next state... :) Do Moose chase?

Actually, at -16F you would have never got my butt out of the bed. Moose or no moose.

YES! Moose have been known to trample people to death. Beware of the momma and baby moose cause if you get inbetween one of those the momma will hunt you down!

When I lived in Anchorage, the weather hit about -55F. So what did us southerners do? - go sledding! Brrr....never again. Thank goodness I live in Florida again.

Dang, if we actually collected records for rocketry firsts, we'd have a book thicker than Guiness! (...er, the book!)

Hey, if you can go fly rockets at -14deg, you've got my respect! :D

no moose in the U.K. infact there is a definite lack of large and dangerous wildlife.

Wet!

Big Deal!:D

You chaps in the UK have it made!

We have -40 degrees, Moose, Black Bears, Brown Bears, Whitetail bucks in rut, Eugene has rocket eating alligator. Not to mention MAN EATING COWS!

You guys have nothing a good 'brelly and a pair of Wellys woudn't fix!.

LOL

sandman

LOL..We are obsessed with the weather over here,not only do we have songs about the weather we even have songs about weathermen.................ALL TOGETHER NOW..

"JOHN KETLEY IS A WEATHERMAN AND SO IS MICHEAL FISH":D :D

A tribe of toffs.

............ALL TOGETHER NOW..

"JOHN KETLEY IS A WEATHERMAN AND SO IS MICHEAL FISH":
"And so is Billy Giles,
And so is Iain McCaskill...
And so is Wincey Willis. "

:D

Top one-hit-wonder-novelty-hit, that. The line "Johnny Marr, he plays guitar" is pure genius! LOL :D

yea, moose *do* attack, and they ain't gentle... my sister is a dog-sledder, former ski-journer (cross country skiis and 1-2 hitched dogs). One day on a pratice run she came around a corner at high speed and never saw the moose. the dogs ran right under it, slaming her into his belly.

he was not happy and proceeded to stomp on her. She emptied her can of pepper spray (1liter can!) and that only infuriated him more. the only thing that saved her was the softness of the snow. the more he pounded, the deeper she went. Lots of bruises but no broken bones.

Now she packs cold-temp mace and a '38. a '38 doesn't sound like much protection, but when you're close enough that you can hold it against his head, well... (plus she's a sharp shooter, so... :) )

We have moose in NH, but their small (only about 800-1400 lbs), nothing like what's in Alaska!

funniest moose story my sister ever told me was the time her husband came home only to find a **large** bull moose sniffing at the front door. Now most alsakans would grab a gun and shoot it, call animal control, or *at least* try to shoo it away. Not my brother in law...

He goes into the garage to find a LONG pole so that he can ring the door bell... The picture of my sister when she opens the front door only to find a 2000 lbs moose trying to get inside.... :D The only saving grace is that his rack was *far* larger than the door opening LOL

jim
(when it gets over 65F, i'm uncomfortable... )

Originally posted by jflis
That was our Kelvin meet on a frozen lake here in NH.

I can just picture this. Launching rockets on a sheet of ice over a lake..... :rolleyes:

Does anyone else see a little bit of a problem here? ;):p

Originally posted by jflis
The picture of my sister when she opens the front door only to find a 2000 lbs moose trying to get inside.... :D The only saving grace is that his rack was *far* larger than the door opening
Then they burried him 7 days later. The brother-in-law, not the moose. :)

Originally posted by Jase
I can just picture this. Launching rockets on a sheet of ice over a lake..... :rolleyes:

Oooo, yeah. Can you see Carl's AMRAAM on the M3000 goin' up from that frozen lake? :D

I wonder what the flame from that motor would do the ice layer? :D

Originally posted by rstaff3
I wonder what the flame from that motor would do the ice layer? :D

Probably.... pretty much nothing. It just ain't there long enough !!!!

An M can dig up chunks of sod, so I was just wondering. I suspect you are right.

sod is *far* looser than 24"-48" of solid ice. If you ever get a chance, drive a pick-ax into sod...

...then try it on ice... incredible stuff, really...

seriously, ice formed right is a lot harder than concrete. I doubt if an M would do more than scortch the surface and cause a *little* local melting which would probably be froze back over before the flight was done :)

I try to avoid ice that isn't in my tea or soda. I cede defeat on this topic :)

Originally posted by Jase

Hope you don't get a large fast rocket come in balistic... :D... like the movie ICE AGE where ice cracks and it spiderwebs accross the surface... then falling in.

I don't think that will happen... but you'd never know ;)

Arthur Dent wrote: in the U.K. infact there is a definite lack of large and dangerous wildlife.

I am not so sure about that... I was in a London pub once and.... well, never mind. ;)

I was refering to intelligent wildlife,the kind you met was probably a sandwich short of a picnic:D

I was refering to intelligent wildlife,the kind you met was probably a sandwich short of a picnic:D

At the risk of drifting too far off topic, I must absolutely hand it to our British TRFers... There is simply nothing said that they can't turn into a witty & downright HILARIOUS comment about! haha :D :D

I needed that laugh :D

I was chatting about this thread, to a mate at work today. He pointed out that we had the good sense, as a nation, to wipe out all our native dangerous wildlife (eg. the wolf) centurys ago.

We did leave ourselves with the Adder (a poisonous snake), so we could keep face; but we don't tell anyone that the adder isn't that poisonous, and a healthy adult has every chance of recovering from a bite.

;)

Originally posted by n3tjm
Hope you don't get a large fast rocket come in balistic... :D... like the movie ICE AGE where ice cracks and it spiderwebs accross the surface... then falling in.

I don't think that will happen... but you'd never know ;)

Doug!??! and you call yerself a NewHampshirite!!??

Man, in January/February you bring in a rocket ballistically (even something like Carl's M-beast) and all yer gonna see is a spray of splinters and cardboard dust.

24" of solid ice can take quite a whollop without breaking through, I can tell you that!

Hey guys, I'm not sure how we got so far off topic, but weren't we talking about ME, & the bravery & courage it takes for ME to pursue our chosen sport @ no small risk to MY own person?
Can we get back on topic please?
Vance in AK.

Back