Would this affect the flight? Electronics Bay Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SERG3ANTGUTTER

Reaction score
Hey all

So this is something i want to try and see if its been done before or any advice to go about this. I have a 3.9 inch rocket that gives plenty of room so I wanted to put inside my go pro to capture onboard footage within the electronics bay.

I'd drill a 30mm diameter hole into the body tubes and glue over a sheet of plexiglass over the hole from the inside. I have heat gun to shape the plexiglass to the curvature if need be.

I attached a cross section drawing for more clarification.

My question or concern is that that is going to leave a indent of about 4.5mm into the body tube. Would that affect the flight at all? It's a small hole so intuitively i think it wouldn't be of much concern.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated

Attachments

• Snapchat-2133205598.jpg
    Snapchat-2133205598.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 35
Well, speaking from experience I've put much larger flight intrusions on my airframes to stick cameras on with relatively no affect on the overall flight, I think you'll be fine here.

As for my other 2 cents, I think the plexiglass is unnecessary and will limit the full fov you can get out of the video by forcing the camera further back.

Hey all

So this is something i want to try and see if its been done before or any advice to go about this. I have a 3.9 inch rocket that gives plenty of room so I wanted to put inside my go pro to capture onboard footage within the electronics bay.

I'd drill a 30mm diameter hole into the body tubes and glue over a sheet of plexiglass over the hole from the inside. I have heat gun to shape the plexiglass to the curvature if need be.

I attached a cross section drawing for more clarification.

My question or concern is that that is going to leave a indent of about 4.5mm into the body tube. Would that affect the flight at all? It's a small hole so intuitively i think it wouldn't be of much concern.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated
I have used electrical tape to attach entire keychain cameras to the outside of BT-20 rockets, and they were stable and flew fine, so I doubt your deviation is gonna do much. Then again, I don’t break Mach (don’t know what your flight parameters are), but I still doubt it will make the flight unstable. May cost you a tiny bit of altitude.

have a good flight, and I look forward to seeing your video.

I have taped a key fob camera to a 4 inch rocket with masking tape and not had any problems. I think my rocket hit 350 mph on that flight and the masking tape held fine.

My question or concern is that that is going to leave a indent of about 4.5mm into the body tube. Would that affect the flight at all?
Of course it will have "any affect... at all". Everything has some effect. And if you simulate or measure the flight characteristics to - just for a guess - three or four significant figures then you might actually see it. Maybe you'd see it with only two digits, or maybe you'd need five, who can say?

What I suspect you meant to ask is either:
  • Will it be a problem? No.
  • Will it have a noticeable effect, as compared to all the other factors at play like wind and motor performance? No.

Latest posts

Back