Would a 1in diameter hole in a payload bay cause instability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOSbermunda

Reaction score
I have a NCR Bounty hunter and I want to put a small camera in the payload bay, but to do so I'd need to drill a hole about 1 inch in the body tube. Will that hole be enough to cause any instability/drag?

Will anything be sticking out of the hole?
Can it be closed again permanently?

Will anything be sticking out of the hole?
Can it be closed again permanently?
Nothing will be sticking out of the hole, it's just so the camera can see out the side, without mounting it on the side of the rocket. I could 3D print a cover for the hole when I'm not flying with the camera.

Scott Binder sells a kit that has such a camera port in the side of the body tube.

Check of his “Fusion” kit at FusionRocket.biz

IIRC the kit is designed to carry a GoPro3.

If you're worried about it, put some kind of feed-through or grommet around it so it seals the hole. A 1" hole can be huge or small, depending on the diameter of the payload tube. With a 2.6" tube, it's an "iffy"... it wouldn't hurt to seal it.

I have put a 1 inch hole in a 4 inch diameter payload bay for a Gopro knockoff. It didn't seem to cause any stability issues, but set up a loud whistle that made the camera audio useless.

I have experimented with various sizes and number of holes in rockets, and as long the structural strength was good I haven't had a problem.

You might have some whistling or wind turbulence, but as long at the rocket has good stability margin it should not affect the safety of the flight.

If you're worried about it, put some kind of feed-through or grommet around it so it seals the hole. A 1" hole can be huge or small, depending on the diameter of the payload tube. With a 2.6" tube, it's an "iffy"... it wouldn't hurt to seal it.
\
I should probably know this, but what is a feed through/grommet?

Has anyone tried a piece of transparent acetate sheet? Or a piece of clear soft drink bottle? Or some other thin, transparent, flexible plastic? Seems like it could solve every concern. Keeping it covered until launch time could prevent dirt and scratches.

Back