World's Smallest Production V8 Engine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legend has it the soundtrack was his 275GTB/4. It sounds right for that era Ferrari V12.
I've seen a... GTO maybe, that was driven hard and sounded just like it. Also a Colombo V12, in similar size and state of tune.

Its been hashed over and over, and he spoke later in interviews about it. I find it's best not to go there and just enjoy the sounds and sights.

Last edited:
Legend has it the soundtrack was his 275GTB/4. It sounds right for that era Ferrari V12.
I've seen a... GTO maybe, that was driven hard and sounded just like it. Also a Colombo V12, in similar size and state of tune.

Its been hashed over and over, and he spoke later in interviews about it. I find it's best not to go there and just enjoy the sounds and sights.

My understanding is that it was a 275 GTB/4. The most amazing thing to me is that it’s a single take - no splices or edits.

Rendezvous is a classic short film for that reason alone.

You gotta get to an Indycar or F1 race... the sounds those cars make is unbelievable. I do agree with you, though, that engine noise just for the sake of itself is pretty dumb... there's plenty of "tuners" around here, nothing but show. For the amount of money that people put into "tuning" their Honda Civics, they could have bought a decent used Ferrari 308.

Then you've obviously never heard a Ferrari or Lambo... it's ALL about the exhaust note.
Now now, let's not overlook the thunder of a Shelby 427 with the side pipes. Years ago, I worked across from a shop that maintained Shelby's. One day, they had five 427s out on the lot getting revved up. Awesome.

Now now, let's not overlook the thunder of a Shelby 427 with the side pipes. Years ago, I worked across from a shop that maintained Shelby's. One day, they had five 427s out on the lot getting revved up. Awesome.
Go to a Unlimited Hydroplane race when they are running 5 Merlin, Griffon, or Allison powered boats....thats amazing

I'm not a Ford guy historically, but there is a Mustang tuning shop near my day job and the road I happen to work on is quite straight and not short (i.e. right next to a GA airport and the geography is very smart).

Every now and then, I hear one or more cars making hard pulls down the road and the Coyote engine sounds like its running 9k, while the older (but still strong) 302 sounds closer to 6,500. I've only seen the cars from behind, as by the time I get up from my desk to get to the door and look, they are down the road.

There have definitely been a few cars, not just 2. Not a fan of street racing, but most often I should have been at home in bed when they made passes. Not sure that local wildlife would agree. No incidents that I am aware of, but I did have an F250 pass me on the same road a while back, followed by quite a few law enforcement cars. Scared the heck out of me, as I was checking mirrors to move into the turn lane the 250 (and 3 or 4 police cars) passed me in. Never heard a siren, as they seemed to be running silent for some reason. The chance ended within a mile, as the road was shut down most of the afternoon. No clue if anybody was hurt, but the dirt on the side of the road indicated it might have been a 'less than comfortable' end to the chase.

I like the flat crank sound, but I'm fine with an old school 90 deg small or big block of course.

Sandy.

Go to a Unlimited Hydroplane race when they are running 5 Merlin, Griffon, or Allison powered boats....thats amazing
I love a tractor pull where there are a few super mods with a few Allisons. Those guys are crazy (maybe 2 Allison's and a Hemi or Big Block to get off the line), but the ability to stand next to them (Allison's) starting up spitting and coughing is just too fun!

Kenny roberts drove 750cc street bikes like a dirt bike, steering by barely breaking the rear tire loose. We called it Powersliding. :) Jeez, I'm 60, and I still drive that way, lol. My GS750 weighs almost 3 times as much as the TZ.
IIRC, you had to show an active AMA card to buy one.

I love a tractor pull where there are a few super mods with a few Allisons. Those guys are crazy (maybe 2 Allison's and a Hemi or Big Block to get off the line), but the ability to stand next to them (Allison's) starting up spitting and coughing is just too fun!
Now imagine five of them blasting by less than 100yds away at over 100mph, with one exception all the piston boats are now vintage boats and only run about 3/4 throttle, the one exception has turbo charged Allison V-1710 it still sound awesome...kinda like WWII fighters and bomber flying over.

But, 2.5hp per cubic inch is nothing to sneeze at! That'd be like a naturally aspirated Ford 302 making ~764hp.
  • All-new Ford 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V8 – an engine unique to Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT350R – produces 526 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque...
Well not quite 700 plus HP but for a smog choked production engine not too shabby. That engine is of course an DOCH. But even OVH fords have surpassed the 600hp mark but would be a bit too bumpy for most people to drive on the street! I love Mustangs and have a 2004 project hotrod. My main driver is a 1.5 ford ecoboost with 181HP and over 180 FP of torque. I almost didn't buy it (about a year ago) because of alleged reliability of the cooling system. Also I would never send a hi-tech tiny engine to do a big low tech slow revving engines work!

I simply don't trust small displacement hi hp turbocharged new tech engines yet. By HiTech I mean things like direct injection gasoline engines. When the bugs are worked out they will rule, but they are not quite ready IMO. For my vehicle (Excape) Ford should of designed a forced induction, but only if the SC is a mechanically driven supercharger very large about 300+ CID 4banger! Man that would get some angry poison pen reviews from the likes of motor trend and other hi tech car daily publications eh?

BTW, I feel the same way about most electric autos, its too early, and the technology isn't quite ready. That said I am highly impressed about how far the electrics have come!

eeee this is too long!

Last edited:
My man! True! Also even though I respect the man who created Ferrari, didn't the low tech ford FE GT crush the Ferrari at Le Mans several times?

Back