Working on Saturn 1B and need help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usfup328

Reaction score
Ok so I have been working on this 1/48 scale Saturn 1B rocket and its incomplete but more than 85% finished. I'm not sure about one part of it though. I need to put on a transition cone that goes from the bottom of the detachable nose up to 3 and a half inches. I'm not sure if I should use paper or cardboard. Also need a 32" and a 60" parachute and I'm up in the air about either buying one or making one. Any help?

20120825_193142.jpg
Here it is. Its the bigger one of course the smaller one is just under a foot long.

Looking very nice so far!
For the transition, I would suggest making it out of two layers of heavy card stock; at this size, that would be plenty strong. But if you're worried about it, just put a few centering rings inside it. I might suggest doing this anyway just to ensure that it's nice and round. Also, it will take paint better if you coat the outer layer in thin CA and sand it with a fine grit sandpaper.

I noticed you are in the Tampa Bay area. Are you currently flying at a club? In case you haven't already found it, here's the website for TTRA, which is near Plant City (again, assuming that you are not already aware of it): https://www.ttra.ws
If you do bring it to one of TTRA's launches, let us know! :) I, and I'm sure the other TRF members who fly there, would love to see it in person!

So this expensive kit didn't come with the transitions or parachutes?

Looking very nice so far!
For the transition, I would suggest making it out of two layers of heavy card stock; at this size, that would be plenty strong. But if you're worried about it, just put a few centering rings inside it. I might suggest doing this anyway just to ensure that it's nice and round. Also, it will take paint better if you coat the outer layer in thin CA and sand it with a fine grit sandpaper.

I noticed you are in the Tampa Bay area. Are you currently flying at a club? In case you haven't already found it, here's the website for TTRA, which is near Plant City (again, assuming that you are not already aware of it): https://www.ttra.ws
If you do bring it to one of TTRA's launches, let us know! :) I, and I'm sure the other TRF members who fly there, would love to see it in person!
I fly with Civil Air Patrol as a part of an educational class. I've already complete the class but I help teach it.

My guess is Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn 1B. They are basically a scratch build. Looking great so far. I also would suggest card stock, one can always fiberglass the inside by using a balloon to hold round while the resin cures.

Latest posts

Back