Workbench 2.0, Two-Stage 100K+ Build Thread and More

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And after looking at the EasyMega configuration image you posted earlier it seems like that functionality is there. My assumption is that you could use the "Angle from vertical greater than (degrees)" configuration and set the numeric value to 90. So when the rocket is 90 degrees off vertical the pyro event occurs. You could even configure a redundant/secondary charge the same way and use a value of say 100 or even 110. After thinking about this a bit more last night and when compared to attempting to use baro or accelerometer based deployment configurations I think magnetic apogee events for 100k ft + flights would most likely be the best solution.

And after looking at the EasyMega configuration image you posted earlier it seems like that functionality is there. My assumption is that you could use the "Angle from vertical greater than (degrees)" configuration and set the numeric value to 90. So when the rocket is 90 degrees off vertical the pyro event occurs. You could even configure a redundant/secondary charge the same way and use a value of say 100 or even 110. After thinking about this a bit more last night and when compared to attempting to use baro or accelerometer based deployment configurations I think magnetic apogee events for 100k ft + flights would most likely be the best solution.

I'm just going with a plain timer for apogee. You don't have to be on cue at those altitudes - a few seconds early or late is no big deal. However, a good simulation will get you pretty much spot on.

What you see posted for my Altus setup in 2016 will stand but the 'after motor 1' will be turned off on all channels - including staging.

With reference to the EasyMega and the issues with baro based apogee detection over 100k ft MSL, would it be possible to leverage the 3 axis magnetic sensor for the apogee event?
In theory, assuming the rocket even turns over at apogee in the near-vacuum. In practice I'd believe that would work after I saw a few flights that used it and had it work correctly. I'm not even sure the current Altus code is using the magnetometer in its orientation solution. It's very unlikely that the gyro drift by itself is low enough to make it to apogee without a large error.

A simple timer is a lot more robust.

Thanks for the responses Kip and Mike, I appreciate it. I actually dropped Keith a PM regarding this and he reckons the gyros could be used to detect rotation and that code is already present in the altimeter. Fingers crossed between Keith and Bdale they'll be able to come up with a more accurate solution when compared to a timer based apogee deployment.

I've also ordered an EasyMega so I'll have a play with some of this stuff myself.

Man that's wild. Great job. Getting a rocket to that altitude is amazing in itself. Recovering it even more so. And with nice pictures.
Congratulations.

Back