Work Habits Brought Home

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of Tree do you display?

• Real - Blue Spruce

• Real - Fur

• Fake - Plastic

• Fake - Metal wires, life like etc. Full of Lead

• Real - Cedar

• Fake - Aluminum with rotating color light changer

• None

• Fake - comes with lights, just plug it in...from QVC

• Real - Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Rag Weed

• I fly Stomp Rockets...

• Real - Blue Spruce

• Real - Fur

• Fake - Plastic

• Fake - Metal wires, life like etc. Full of Lead

• Real - Cedar

• Fake - Aluminum with rotating color light changer

• None

• Fake - comes with lights, just plug it in...from QVC

• Real - Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Rag Weed

• I fly Stomp Rockets...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
So as I was calling around to get status on our launch tomorrow, I kept making one mistake over and over....

I really need to know....

Does anybody but me consistently dial 9 from their home phone to get an outside line after a long work week?

I dont know about dialing 9 but what about... driving with your children on a saturday afternoon daydreaming away and the next thing you know youve driven to the office. Kinda like auto pilot

That counts...:p

And just to spite the rain, I plan to repeatedly fly my Birdie tomorrow...

Hmm... excessive beating with my pencil on any flat surface i see?

Does that count?

I work from my home.

My wife works in town 2 miles away (we're in the country so it takes her three minutes to get to work).

I know NOT to let her catch me in my PJ's when she comes home for lunch...and I had better have a fresh pot of coffee waiting for her!:kill:

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
So as I was calling around to get status on our launch tomorrow, I kept making one mistake over and over....

I really need to know....

Does anybody but me consistently dial 9 from their home phone to get an outside line after a long work week?

Almost. I think it often but catch myself.

Could be worse, you could be trying to type ATDT first. ("Attention Telephone, Dial This", innit?)

Once I made a note on a sticky pad and signed it like it was a prescription pad. Most of the time when I go to the hospital for an appointment for me, I go to my office rather than going to the doctor I'm about to see.

plusplusplus.

Funny you mention Birdies, I went to the memorial launch we had out here in Michigan by the Jackson Model rocket club (An A+ Outfit). In the midst of all these J & K Monsters. What made everyone laugh the most.....................You know it Flying a Birdie. I really ruined the average newton thrusts that afternoon.

I am pre-programmed to drive to work for some reason. There are only 2 directions to go in whenever we leave. Sometimes I miss exits altogether in favor of the road that takes me to work. It's quite frustrating really. Zoning out while driving is not a good thing!

Could be worse, you could be trying to type ATDT first. ("Attention Telephone, Dial This", innit?)

I doubt if 10% of the people here have any idea what that means...

:)

Originally posted by UncMikesRktShk
I never worry the car always seems to know where to go:)

Yes, Mr. Simpson...:D

Well, seeing as I don't, you know, have a JOB, this isn't much of a problem for me... I do seem to unnaturally wake up at 7 on weekends... I get up at 6 for school, so I suppose it's good I sleep in a little...

you see...I set my alarm for 6 on the weekends...calmly get up...turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. Best feeling in the world!

heh, yeah, I bet so.. Unfortunately (on the weekends, anyway), As soon as i'm up, I'm up.. It might be hrd to wake me, but once I am, I'll pretty much stay awake... Generally though, I log onto here and get interested...:):rolleyes:

I don't (usually) try to dial-9, but I have been known to answer the
way I do at the office instead of a simple "Hello?"

Years ago (in another lifetime), I was working the night shift and
received a call in the very early morning. Later that day, the wife
asked if everything was OK at work and did I fix the computer problem.

I had no recollection of the conversation! Absolutely no idea!!

I had to go in and ask the boss if I still worked there. :)

if i've been napping, sometimes i'll answer the home phone, "Telescan"

ATH

I doubt if 10% of the people here have any idea what that means...

And 10% of them had to type it every dialup.

We're museum pieces.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
And 10% of them had to type it every dialup.

We're museum pieces.

DIAL-UP?!?!? You had dial-up?!?! Why in my day,
we had DixieLAN! Two paper cups and some string...

The acoustic couplers for the computer modem were murder!

Originally posted by brianc
DIAL-UP?!?!? You had dial-up?!?! Why in my day,
we had DixieLAN! Two paper cups and some string...

The acoustic couplers for the computer modem were murder!

Ah, but could you whistle at 300 baud? (I remember contests after hours (also involving beer and other relaxants :rolleyes: ) to see who could speak 300 baud best.)

First modem I paid money for was a Hayes Smartmodem 1200 (cost me $603 + shipping, which was dealer cost in 1980, at least for the computer store I was working at). I still have that modem, though it is now used as a doorstop at work (literally!) :)

Originally posted by ymj365
Ah, but could you whistle at 300 baud? (I remember contests after hours (also involving beer and other relaxants :rolleyes: ) to see who could speak 300 baud best.)

First modem I paid money for was a Hayes Smartmodem 1200 (cost me $603 + shipping, which was dealer cost in 1980, at least for the computer store I was working at). I still have that modem, though it is now used as a doorstop at work (literally!) :)

DUDE! I could *do* that! LOL We did the same thing (I worked in the Comm Eng group and we developed the DF01 and DF03 modems (the DF01 was an acoustic coupler)

Back to the original question, my answer is no. However, I would find myself answering the phone at home with my name and the company name, like I would at work. I have also done the autopilot after we changed buildings...gee why is the parking lot so empty? :eek:

Some phone systems measure the time between keypresses in order to determine when to actually place the call. I hope that this isn't Useful Information, but it's called InterDigit Delay. On the particular system that my company sells, the default timeout is pretty long (2.5 seconds), so if you hit the pound (#) key the call goes through immediately.

Guess which one I alays hit when dialing from home.

Originally posted by jflis
DUDE! I could *do* that! LOL We did the same thing (I worked in the Comm Eng group and we developed the DF01 and DF03 modems (the DF01 was an acoustic coupler)

OTOH

I still have in my basement:

1. An acoustic coupler

2. A Silent 700 thermal print terminal

3. A TTY (yes a 75baud serial printer/terminal with punch tape reader) - and yes it is hooked up.

4. A $1500 80MB ESDI hard disk drive

OTOH

I still have in my basement:

1. An acoustic coupler

2. A Silent 700 thermal print terminal

3. A TTY (yes a 75baud serial printer/terminal with punch tape reader) - and yes it is hoohed up.

4. A $1500 80[[]IU]MB[/U][/I] ESDI hard disk drive

I have 6 of 3 different models of Apple II, not including my work machine, a IIgs (and two backsups of THAT). The hard drive for the GS replaced the power supply and had 100 MB of storage plus power supply, for $1400. With the '286 (actually V20) MS-DOS transputer, the speed up kit (2.5X speed, up to 7.5 MHz) and the 4.5MB RAM board, it cost $3000 in 1989. And it hasn't crashed since then either. The calendar in it is written to work through 2040. I bet it will. It'll be working when I'm not anymore.

Plus a fishtank-style 128K Mac. I had to. They just look so George Jetson.

Me, no. I'm usually pretty good, expept feeling kinda like soemthing 's missing on week-ends..

We did have a problem, with this 'dialing nine' at one company I worked at.

Typically, to get an outside line you dial '9'. Ditto for the fax machine. Our problem was, teh sales guys sending faxes, and usually on teh week-end. They would send 'international faxes' so they dialed '9' to get out of teh building, then they dialed '1' for 'long diastance' then '1' for overseas, then the country code. Problem was, they've just dialed '911'. They forget the '0' after teh first '1'.. It happened quite often...

Strange, how that no phone calles can leave the buildign without first dialing '9', except '911'. Why waqsn't it tought out a bit, like Europe, where they have, what, '999' or something like that..

My brother loves it when he calls me at home, and I answer, "CDO Technologies, Mark Van Luvender... oops."

Well I have two jobs and I work randomly in the "work office" and the "home office", so even when I'm at home I'm often "at work". I hope that's clear!

Originally posted by ymj365

ROTFL ---- and having painful memory flashbacks

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I have 6 of 3 different models of Apple II, not including my work machine, a IIgs (and two backsups of THAT).

We used to have two of those things, one being a backup of the other. Over the years they migrated off the desk into some storage boxes that sat for too many years in the bottom of my closet. Finally my wife made me get rid of 'em. Funny how NO ONE wants those old systems, and I mean absolutely no one. Charities didn't want them, Salvation Army didn't want them, the computer repair shop didn't even want them for parts. I couldn't pay people to take them (of course, I didn't offer much). Finally tricked an office supply store to take them into their recycling program.

I have the autopilot thing.
I have on numerous occasions made a wrong turn when going somewhere and headed toward work.( I have a 50 mile drive to work so I never go all the way)
The worst was, one morning I woke up and the sun was out.
This was a very cold winter day. I said hey I am late for work so after a few choice words I got dressed, scraped the ice off the windshield and headed out. After several miles it finally dawned on me that it was Saturday and I don't have to go to work.

The phone number of the place I work is pretty similar to my home number, I tried to phone them today from my mobile only to get my own answerphone!

Back