Wooshing Crane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the problem is a lack of yaw stability. I know it messes with the crane aesthetic, but could you add a vertical stabilizer aft?

I wonder if the problem is a lack of yaw stability. I know it messes with the crane aesthetic, but could you add a vertical stabilizer aft?
Naw, just more POWER! It is straight and stable when moving fast. Lots of Power and nose weight solve 90 to 95% of your problems, just like cold, hard cash! Trust in thrust!

Ya, i was a little worried when i asked you how much nose weight you had to use for the cog and you said you put plastisen clay in the whole nose section. Way too much for that no doubt. you are probably correct in more power may make it more stable...

Ya, i was a little worried when i asked you how much nose weight you had to use for the cog and you said you put plastisen clay in the whole nose section. Way too much for that no doubt. you are probably correct in more power may make it more stable...
I think all that drag didn't help much too. Just needs more sustained power, stability was fine, just ran out of oomph. Quest has those E26 motors. 3 times for F78? Better power curve. Maybe 3 F39s if that doesn't work, get into the G power band! Taking out noseweight will move the CG back then it will really want to go horizontal

True, but what i was getting at is if you did use that much clay....you were going to need some power to push it is all....not trying to sound like captain obvious here.
Drag + Weight = bigger motors. :)

my guess would be to try the E motors first that you mentioned as you wouldn’t want to blow off his wings...may take a few launches to dial in the proper motors to use on this bird obviously.
I’m sure your next flight will go fine....good luck.

You could argue for same thrust, shorter Delay. Won’t be a high flight, but pop the chute just as it starts to go south on you. I don’t think cranes are known for being high altitude flyers anyway.

Whoosher gotta a new nose job! Ready for some flat black touch up paint. Hopefully the nose job will be better than Jennifer Grey's! NOBODY PUTS WHOOSHER IN THE CORNER! Gonna keep those long leather gams as well, really dirty from the first flight. Called the LHS and they have a stockpile of unsold E12 0s. Maybe Whoosher can eat some up! Whoosher says "I take me red lables neat with a pinch of BP on top!" Naughty Whoosher! Gonna have to find a launch where you can fly with Jack in the Box and his plugged red labels!
20210612_115746.jpg

I mean, anyone can get their rocket to fly straight two feet above the rod (in this case literally.)

Woosher flys fine on the E12 0 motors with a pinch of BP on top of the motors. Videos are on Facebook. Model rocket fanatics. This was Wooshers third flight.
I have been following your OddRocs for a while but this is the first time I have paid attention to the motor choices.

Choice of a zero delay suggests that you are confident of stability under thrust, but anticipate rapid if not immediate loss of stability during coast phase.

Is this the prototypical flight plan for your creations, which tend to be awesome AND high drag designs? I.e., “TRUST IN THRUST (but not in coast)” ?

is the pinch of BP because the “ejection” force from burnout from a (non-doctored) zero delay motor (no clay cap or “true” ejection charge) is potentially insufficient to deploy the nose and laundry?

I have been following your OddRocs for a while but this is the first time I have paid attention to the motor choices.

Choice of a zero delay suggests that you are confident of stability under thrust, but anticipate rapid if not immediate loss of stability during coast phase.

Is this the prototypical flight plan for your creations, which tend to be awesome AND high drag designs? I.e., “TRUST IN THRUST (but not in coast)” ?

is the pinch of BP because the “ejection” force from burnout from a (non-doctored) zero delay motor (no clay cap or “true” ejection charge) is potentially insufficient to deploy the nose and laundry?
I just take the same amount of powder contained in a 24mm AT reload charge and divide it among the 3 E12 0. Works good as Woosher dosen't have a huge recovery volume. Woosher is a naughty bird and likes to zigzag if not under full thrust, the gams get in the way! So it's either clustering more powerful composites or just going with no delay on the BP E12. The E12 0s have worked so I'm sticking with them.

All the rest need a 4 second delay, Crazy Train, The Albatross and Staggerwing. Each flight a bit different. Jack in the Box uses two F12 0 plugged and relies on drag seperation for deployment, it works fine do to the high drag, telescopic design. I tell the Top Men that ejection charges are actually dangerous on Jack in the Box! Always good for a laugh at the RSO table.

The trouble with Woosher is the motors are on the back of the rocket, where they should NOT BE! But he needs the long gams to attract the lady cranes when doing his dance. That is what you get when you delete lovely tractor motors from your design to achieve good looks. As for motors the undead Pict warrior likes two F15 0 plugged and one F15 4 to blow the top of his head off for deployment.
IMG_20141207_135354899.jpg

Thanks to San Louis Valley Rocketeers for the great launch today! Woosher may have passed but the real whoopers are still in the big valley.

5,4,3,2,1 start! Woosher heard the owl call his name. KABOOM!

Last edited: