Wooshing Crane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

boatgeek

Reaction score
I wonder if the problem is a lack of yaw stability. I know it messes with the crane aesthetic, but could you add a vertical stabilizer aft?

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the problem is a lack of yaw stability. I know it messes with the crane aesthetic, but could you add a vertical stabilizer aft?
Naw, just more POWER! It is straight and stable when moving fast. Lots of Power and nose weight solve 90 to 95% of your problems, just like cold, hard cash! Trust in thrust!

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Needs composites with a nice round thrust curve. BP thrust all up front did not fill Whoosher's thrust hungry nature.

icyclops

Reaction score
Ya, i was a little worried when i asked you how much nose weight you had to use for the cog and you said you put plastisen clay in the whole nose section. Way too much for that no doubt. you are probably correct in more power may make it more stable...

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ya, i was a little worried when i asked you how much nose weight you had to use for the cog and you said you put plastisen clay in the whole nose section. Way too much for that no doubt. you are probably correct in more power may make it more stable...
I think all that drag didn't help much too. Just needs more sustained power, stability was fine, just ran out of oomph. Quest has those E26 motors. 3 times for F78? Better power curve. Maybe 3 F39s if that doesn't work, get into the G power band! Taking out noseweight will move the CG back then it will really want to go horizontal

icyclops

Reaction score
True, but what i was getting at is if you did use that much clay....you were going to need some power to push it is all....not trying to sound like captain obvious here.
Drag + Weight = bigger motors. :)

my guess would be to try the E motors first that you mentioned as you wouldn’t want to blow off his wings...may take a few launches to dial in the proper motors to use on this bird obviously.
I’m sure your next flight will go fine....good luck.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You could argue for same thrust, shorter Delay. Won’t be a high flight, but pop the chute just as it starts to go south on you. I don’t think cranes are known for being high altitude flyers anyway.

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You could argue for same thrust, shorter Delay. Won’t be a high flight, but pop the chute just as it starts to go south on you. I don’t think cranes are known for being high altitude flyers anyway.
E12 0 with a pinch of BP on top!

Daddyisabar

Oddrocs Rule!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Whoosher gotta a new nose job! Ready for some flat black touch up paint. Hopefully the nose job will be better than Jennifer Grey's! NOBODY PUTS WHOOSHER IN THE CORNER! Gonna keep those long leather gams as well, really dirty from the first flight. Called the LHS and they have a stockpile of unsold E12 0s. Maybe Whoosher can eat some up! Whoosher says "I take me red lables neat with a pinch of BP on top!" Naughty Whoosher! Gonna have to find a launch where you can fly with Jack in the Box and his plugged red labels!
20210612_115746.jpg

Latest posts