Woody needs a little help with this, Please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is "THIS" a good deal?
Do you need a cert level to use them?
If so, what cert level?
I built 2 upscale Estes Wizards that can use these.
BT-70 & BT-80, both have: TTWF, Balsa Nose cones, Plywood Fins, Wood Glue Assembly.

Thanks for all your input.

I believe all loads for those are considered high power so yes, a L1 cert. The exception might be the G75 for the 29/180. They might be adaptable to smaller loads using adapters.

Looks like this set, which, as you can see, sells for a lot less brand new.\

I don't know my Aerotechs, but I think most of the loads for these casings will require a Level 1.

Is "THIS" a good deal?
Do you need a cert level to use them?
If so, what cert level?
I built 2 upscale Estes Wizards that can use these.
BT-70 & BT-80, both have: TTWF, Balsa Nose cones, Plywood Fins, Wood Glue Assembly.

Thanks for all your input.

That price looks a little high. I would shop around. Check WM he usually has the best prices from what I can tell?

way to high , I will pm motor vendor web site that goes to smash launches so you can compare

used I paid 45.00 shipped for the used 29/240 set I have and it has the spacer system at that

also watch forums here

Thanks for the link.
Brings up another question...
From the Aerotech and compatible motor hardware...
29/40-120 motor...
under that, it lists forward, aft, seal disc, etc.
Does the motor come with all the other stuff listed below the motor?
Or is all that stuff needed too?
I have a rocket I started a long time ago that only goes about 200' high on Estes D engines.
I ran some sims earlier today, and reload motor for 24mm would be better for that.
I can get over 2000' out of it according to RocSim. So would like one of those too.

If you don't mind me asking, Hobby Line is a name brand? Or is a different motor from Areotech?
If it's a AT motor, what the difference (other than price) of the Hobby Line, and a normal AT motor?
I feel stupid, but I want to learn this. If I get my SSDI in May, I want to buy with confidence I'm buying the right stuff.

Not stupid at all. Being curious before buying something is just plain smart.
The AT Hobby line motors are normally ones you do not need to be certified to fly. The 29-40-120 case is the perfect one to start with. A good selection of reloads that fit one case. Different propellants in E, F and G power levels. Great way to learn and get familiar re-loadable rocket motors.
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/u...4792e3bc3e9_AT RMS Matrix Black and White.pdf
Check out the 29 40-120 motors 4th line from the top.

Last edited:
The Hobby Line are made by Aerotech, but use hobby (no cert required) reloads. They come in 3 flavors, 24/40, 24/60 & 29/40-120. The RMS motors are for high power (with a couple exceptions).
The closures are different, you cannot use an RMS closure on a Hobby Line casing. There is no seal disc for hobby line. Well cared for used are just as good as new in my limited experience.

Over the last few decades, they have been made by 2 different outfits that I am aware of: Aerotech, and Rouse Tech. They are all the same, and parts interchangeable, though different color.

Be sure you get the right size for the rockets you fly. You mentioned a D motor, those are 24mm, so you would most likely want a 24/40 motor & reloads. You can adapt down, so in your case, I would probably recommend getting the 24/40 and starting there. If you have a rocket that has a 29mm mount (for example an Estes PSII, or an Aerotech kit), you can adapt to the 24/40 and fly assuming it is not too heavy. Currently there is only 1 reload for the 24/60, so it's use is limited, and not really a good one for you.

When you look at reloads, keep in mind that the 24/40 loads are 3 to a pack, 24/60 (BP E&F length) are 2 to a pack, and 29/40-120 are 1 per pack. I do not believe (though I could be wrong) that HazMat shipping is required for any of the 24/40 motors. This makes them even more economical.

With all of that being said, consider the cost of the motor casing. Will you fly enough to justify that cost, or would it be better in your case to purchase the AT single use motors? There are 6 different motors ranging from E15 to F44 that are available. (Just something to consider since you will be on a fixed income.) I will say that in my case, I bought casings & reloads. Looking back I fly so little due to work or weather, that I might have been better off with single use.... I currently own all 3 hobby cases and 2 ammo cans filled with hobby reloads. That is several years supply as little as I get out to the field.....

I hope I have said something that helps.

Woody- PM me- i'll take care of ya! You can pay shipping. You know my e-mail-easier there than here. If i have your new addy, it's buried so make sure I get that too. Good luck, brother, about time for that SSI. You have been thru hell.

Here is the pricing for Aerotech RMS, which covers the "Hobby Line" smaller RMS systems. I've owned the 29/40-120 since the eatly 90s. Great prouduct. The 24/40 is great for replacing D12 motors when you want a little extra power. Reloads go up to small F. I bought the 18/20 just for use in the Mars Lander with a D13 or D24 reload. The Mars Lander flies marginally on an Estes C6 motor.

The casing on eBay is old. It is branded Industrial Solid Propulsion. Aerotech later changed the brand name to Aerotech for the big RMS systems. I bought an ISP 54mm set back in the 90s. Same product, just a name change for today's systems.

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/u...d24-c4f1ee7f5b30_Model_and_hp_of_02_21_17.pdf

theres a G75 reload for the 29/180 case that doesn't require L1. but other than that,its hpr.
the 29-40-120 is a great reload casing. lots of cool reloads for it.
and the 24/40 has some awesome reloads available. the E11 and F12 are really sweet,imo. also, I think all the reload kits for em are 3 to a pack.
thought I read something a bit ago about AT making more reload options for the 24/60 case. hope so!

Back