Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
I am building Terrain for a tabletop game I play and I used a woodland scenics product called "Realistic Water". I have never used it before. I bought the stuff about a year ago I think. A little clear fluid came out but then the stuff began to resemble moisturizing cream. Its looks like it is setting but is still largely white the next day. I was wonderring if other people had used this stuff and what their experiance had been like:)
Thanks
Fred

Fred:
There are two types one is for raging rapids which tends to stay somewhat white in finished color, the other is pretty much crystal clear.. we usually paint the river or creek bed than pour in the "water".

These twp photos might helps a little.

Z Ga Module-b2_The Lake and resort end_01-09-05.jpg

Z Ga Module-b3_The Lake front resort_01-09-05.jpg

Micro is the guy to ask about that stuff. For sure.

Another place would be the Games Workshop home page. They might have something there. I know they've done articles in their magazine in the past.

Bob
(Who is just getting back into Warhammer 40k again)

Fred:
There are two types one is for raging rapids which tends to stay somewhat white in finished color, the other is pretty much crystal clear.. we usually paint the river or creek bed than pour in the "water".

These twp photos might helps a little.

Thanks John:) Is the clear stuff in pellets and the white water in a squeeze bottle. Great looking scenery by the way :)
Thanks
Bill

Micro is the guy to ask about that stuff. For sure.

Another place would be the Games Workshop home page. They might have something there. I know they've done articles in their magazine in the past.

Bob
(Who is just getting back into Warhammer 40k again)
I am actually building a hill for 40K:) I play the guard:) I bought the book they sell about making scenery so I will consult that again. I am trying to reinflate my three hobbies which are rockets,scale models and war gaming:)
Cheers
fred

Actually John I just enlarged those photos and thats very very nice work :)
Cheers
fred

When I built railroads, I swore by the Woodland Scenics water. It was good stuff but smelled awful. That's been some years back, though.

We used Realistic Water for the river on a Pegasus Bridge table for FoW; the smaller ponds were actually Water Effects.

dsc_127.sized.jpg

dsc_129.sized.jpg

dsc_134.sized.jpg

Its good to know it worked well John. Did the water come pellets you melted?
That Pegasus bridge scene is great work:) Is FoW a game? Also was the water you used in pellets or beads that you melted. Thanks again fellas I apreciate your time:)
Cheers
Fred

Its good to know it worked well John. Did the water come pellets you melted?
That Pegasus bridge scene is great work:) Is FoW a game? Also was the water you used in pellets or beads that you melted. Thanks again fellas I apreciate your time:)
Cheers
Fred
Thanks. :)

FoW is Flames of War. It is a 15mm game that is very similar to Warhammer 40k (IGOUGO, move-shoot-assault); it actually was first pitched as "Warhammer Panzer Battles", but GW passed on it.

The Realistic Water comes in liquid form; I've never used the "EZ Water" pellets.

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

FoW is Flames of War. It is a 15mm game that is very similar to Warhammer 40k (IGOUGO, move-shoot-assault); it actually was first pitched as "Warhammer Tank Battles", but GW passed on it.

The Realistic Water comes in liquid form; I've never used the "EZ Water" pellets.

Wonder if I put it on to thick:confused: I will check out that game. Looks good. Thanks for your help:)
Cheers
fred

It's been several years (2002 I think) since i've used any pellet type water, I think it was called "E-Z water" worked OK melted in a sause pan and poured. used a heat gun to cause waves, peaks and waterfalls, deeper pours (about 1/8" stay pretty clear, while the surface reheated areas would milk up some as it Re-flowed.

But Both used on the lagoon were liquid squeeze bottle "Realistic Water" as I recall. Larger "flat water" areas formed with 16oz squeese bottles. Pour directly from the bottle in several 1/8" deep layers over the painted lake bed. Dried clear overnight.
The Wave features in the swimming area are from smaller bottles, Realistic C1212 if memory serves, made to form rapids, waves and waterfalls on top of the previouly poured clear water. Waves and swirls formed with the heat gun and wooden tools.

It's been several years (2002 I think) since i've used any pellet type water, I think it was called "E-Z water" worked OK melted in a sause pan and poured. used a heat gun to cause waves, peaks and waterfalls, deeper pours (about 1/8" stay pretty clear, while the surface reheated areas would milk up some as it Re-flowed.

But Both used on the lagoon were liquid squeeze bottle "Realistic Water" as I recall. Larger "flat water" areas formed with 16oz squeese bottles. Pour directly from the bottle in several 1/8" deep layers over the painted lake bed. Dried clear overnight.
The Wave features in the swimming area are from smaller bottles, Realistic C1212 if memory serves, made to form rapids, waves and waterfalls on top of the previouly poured clear water. Waves and swirls formed with the heat gun and wooden tools.

So John did it come out looking like a white hand cream and then turn clear? I am thinking I maybe used to much and it stayed white.
Thanks
fred

I am building Terrain for a tabletop game I play and I used a woodland scenics product called "Realistic Water". I have never used it before. I bought the stuff about a year ago I think. A little clear fluid came out but then the stuff began to resemble moisturizing cream.

Sounds to me like you had a bad bottle. I've only seen it pour clear from the bottle.

kj

Actually I just found a video on youtube about woodlands scenic water products. The white stuff I used is actually an adhesive foir sticking stuff to water areas. The clear water product is a different product. In short I blew it:( I will paint the stuff I. Put in there and pour the right stuff on top. Thanks anyways guys :) I think I will post a picturwe later for suggestions given thew level of ewxpertise I have seen here:)
Thanks
Fredf

I am actually building a hill for 40K:) I play the guard:) I bought the book they sell about making scenery so I will consult that again. I am trying to reinflate my three hobbies which are rockets,scale models and war gaming:)
Cheers
fred

Silly mon-key. Even in our weakened state, you are no match for the precision firepower of Craftworld Li-Thia.

Yeah, I play Eldar. I like the whole premise behind them. Like the Tao alot, and the new Tyranid models have me drooling. But, I'm just starting again after like a 6 year hiatus, so 1 army at a time. besides, if I indulge what I really want to do, my wife will show me what a conniption looks like.

Silly mon-key. Even in our weakened state, you are no match for the precision firepower of Craftworld Li-Thia.

Yeah, I play Eldar. I like the whole premise behind them. Like the Tao alot, and the new Tyranid models have me drooling. But, I'm just starting again after like a 6 year hiatus, so 1 army at a time. besides, if I indulge what I really want to do, my wife will show me what a conniption looks like.
I find your lack of paint disturbing.

I've been tweaking my Mech Tau to fight Chaos Demons, but took a break to get back to rocketry; now that the new codex is out though, I can't wait to ramp up my 'Nids.

stealers.jpg

I think the eldar because they have cool looking models and the Tau have cool scifi looking stuff but frankly I really like the guard armour and artillery:) I am starting to get into terrain building now:)
Cheers
Fred

I find your lack of paint disturbing.

I've been tweaking my Mech Tau to fight Chaos Demons, but took a break to get back to rocketry; now that the new codex is out though, I can't wait to ramp up my 'Nids.

Well, my Striking Scorpions are done. And a half a unit of Guardians are done, as are a half a unit of Dark Reapers. I still have Dire Avengers, Howling Banshees, andother unit and a half of Guardians, a War Walker, an Avatar, and a Wave Serpant to get done. I found someone on Ebay who sells box sets on ebay for about half price, free shipping. They're just out of the box and into a bag. I'd like to know how he does it.

Well, my Striking Scorpions are done. And a half a unit of Guardians are done, as are a half a unit of Dark Reapers. I still have Dire Avengers, Howling Banshees, andother unit and a half of Guardians, a War Walker, an Avatar, and a Wave Serpant to get done. I found someone on Ebay who sells box sets on ebay for about half price, free shipping. They're just out of the box and into a bag. I'd like to know how he does it.

200 Grunts,3 vendettas,3 medusas,4 Basilisks,3 Vanquishers,3 Regular russ's,3 punishers LR,3 Demolisher LR,3sentinels,3 Shadowswords,1 stormlord and other various and sundry bits :)
Cheers
fred

That's way more points than I have of any one force; but there's 2500 of Tau, about 2200 SM, 1800 Eldar, 1500 each of Tyranids and Necrons, and about 1100 of Orcs. Wasn't gonna do the Orks, but my daughter likes them.

Throw in Mid and late war German, Soviet, American, and British 15mm forces, Civil War based for Johnny Reb, a ton of 1/3000 WWI & II naval, WWII and Korean War aircraft, DBA ancients in both 15 and 6mm, and of course Battlefleet Gothic, Bloodbowl, and Star Fleet Battles.

I see lead people

That's way more points than I have of any one force; but there's 2500 of Tau, about 2200 SM, 1800 Eldar, 1500 each of Tyranids and Necrons, and about 1100 of Orcs. Wasn't gonna do the Orks, but my daughter likes them.

Throw in Mid and late war German, Soviet, American, and British 15mm forces, Civil War based for Johnny Reb, a ton of 1/3000 WWI & II naval, WWII and Korean War aircraft, DBA ancients in both 15 and 6mm, and of course Battlefleet Gothic, Bloodbowl, and Star Fleet Battles.

I see lead people

yeah, I sold all of my stuff years ago. Now I wish I hadn't.

Still have the BattleTech stuff though. Damn, I was GOOD at that.

I see lead people

Well I read some Abnett books and came to like the guard. My son has 4 difrent armies as well. I enjoy the game system but frankly a lot of the fluff is poorly written drivel IMO. I like strategy games a lot and the fow looks cool. Does it have Canadians in it?
Cheers
fred

Does it have Canadians in it?
Flames of War? Sure; it's made in New Zealand, so nearly every part of the U.K. forces are represented.

You can represent just about any force you want, within the army lists, but later books have spotlighted specific forces, such as the Canadian 3rd division at Normandie.

It is, however, still a history-themed game; it is definately not a simulation.

Back