wooden range box?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ether

Reaction score
can't seem to find online a source for a wooden tool/utility box. prefer to stay away from metal or plastic given spark/static. any ideas where to find one or custom order one? looking to hold tools and consumables.

I just made a search for "wooden tool box" on both Google and DuckDuckGo and got many different models. Many of them look awesome.

Last edited:
Some army surplus stores may have wooden ammo boxes. I have several that are about 1' x 3' x 6". Quite heavy, though; I wouldn't use it as a range box.

those slot car boxes look great, especially the hobby box model - thanks for posting

Heres some I built for my rocket stuff...

The box on the right with the wood drawers actually has a drawer in the upper right opening that is visible in the lower right corner of the picture next to the trash can. That drawer holds all my epoxy bottles, glues, and igniter dips among other things, its sized about right to hold a regular size bottle of rubbing alcohol standing upright. The lids for the front of the boxes are currently behind them, and the black and grey spools on top the boxes are the velcro for keeping the lids closed while in transport.

20201022_184045.jpg

Oddly enough, I have a wooden field box which was made for RC airplane folks that is surplus to my needs. I won it as a prize quite a few years ago at an electric RC meet in Chilliwack, BC (this was back when electric powered RC was a fringe thing, not mainstream as it is now). It's not as nice as what Rich has built, but it is a wooden tool-box style box. And, it's available. IMG_3392.JPGIMG_3395.jpgIMG_3396.jpg

Good Morning All;

Coming back to the hobby after decades away; was only a LPR flier as a youth, and only envision moving as far as MPR for the foreseeable future but...

Reading this thread, and looking through the archives, it seems there are a significant number of enthusiasts who are using plastic totes/tool boxes for range use (and it is what I envisioned doing as well). Does static electricity/spark warrant a change in my thinking, such that a wood storage system should be a first choice?

Not trying to start a flame war (pun intended), just a genuine question...

r/
Dave

Good Morning All;

Coming back to the hobby after decades away; was only a LPR flier as a youth, and only envision moving as far as MPR for the foreseeable future but...

Reading this thread, and looking through the archives, it seems there are a significant number of enthusiasts who are using plastic totes/tool boxes for range use (and it is what I envisioned doing as well). Does static electricity/spark warrant a change in my thinking, such that a wood storage system should be a first choice?

r/
Dave
Its probably, skill and access to the proper tools vs. money. Wood boxes are either made or bought at a higher price than plastic, plastic boxes are cheaper and easier to get. My wood boxes cost about $35-40 (each, maybe less) in materials and several hours labor each so they would be expensive to purchase, plastic ones are available at big box stores and in relatively large selection.

Good Morning All;

r/
Dave
I think it is a non-issue. Some people just worry too much.

N
[...]

[...]

No, absolutely not. Not only is a plastic toolbox not going to cause a static situation but people have done tests with black powder and static in general isn't going to set it off. I'm part of the muzzleloading community and it's an area of some concern (people buying 50 pounds of powder at a time). I mean, the stuff COMES in plastic containers and before that it was metal.

ematches are more sensitive to static than BP, recognize there are some cases of them going off due to static discharge

Most black powder comes in plastic containers. Get a wood toolbox if you like wood, but plastic is not an issue for static and sparks. Literally all of my rocket stuff is in plastic tubs, including black powder and igniters.

If you want a wood box get a wood box. You'll be the classiest flyer at the field. I'm just trying to reassure poor David that it isn't a requirement or anything and that he was right that most people use regular ol' tackle boxes or similar.

you are right not a requirement in any fashion - anti-static bags, shunts, etc. are very good ways to keep things in a safe condition

don't think a wood box is classy - just another way of addressing safety layers, but its just another way

I think weight is a factor. I insisted that I wanted the Big R/C wood range box. I lugged that behemoth many times to the R/C field. I don't have it or R/C anymore. I currently use a plastic (light) tackle box for a range box. I do have a metal ammo box that I keep engines in. No (heavy) wood.

Wood if stain nice is classy. But as for safety, .where are we generating static. Are you busy wiping your stocking feet on your carpet and then loading in ematches, ignitors, straight black powder in your living room. But again wood looks nice...so outshine everyone.

Order two tins of surplus Russian ammo and it comes in a nifty wooden box. While you’re at it, might as well buy a Mosin Nagant. They’re awesome.

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1401.html
Wooden box for the field is silly, but prudent for home fire protection. I don’t have that much rocket motors. I do store all of my ammo powder is a wooden cabinet. Just protects it a little longer until the FD arrives.

Back