Wood Hardner for Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Galt

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What is/are the advantages and disadvantages of using a wood hardener like Minwax on balsa fins? Does a wood hardener actually strengthen the fins like papering does? :confused:

never tried it. Maybe they are just talking about a hard finish that doesn't scratch as easy? Not sure?

There is a product called "wood hardener",(Minwax, I think) but I've never used it. From what I've read of people who have/do use it, it takes a looooooooooong time to fully cure.

I used to use it often mixed with spot putty and painted onto the fins. Works well enough but does take a while for full cure.

Nowadays if I want to harden fins I use thin CA, let it dry an hour, then proceed with either spot putty or CWF. Much harder fins due to the CA and faster time to result.

What is/are the advantages and disadvantages of using a wood hardener like Minwax on balsa fins? Does a wood hardener actually strengthen the fins like papering does? :confused:

Although I papered my fins, I also recoated them.
I thin Elmers wood glue, paint it on, air dry for a bit, bake them at 170f for an hour or so, and sand smooth for the same reason. Did that with my estes tubes and other cardboard as well.
I have no proof, but that is what I do.
The sound quality between coated and uncoated suggests the coated ones are...harder and stiffer. I don't yet know if it 'improves my performance'. :D

I use Aerogloss sanding sealer - seems to soak into the wood a good bit. It takes at least 2 coats with sanding in between (I do 3 coats to be sure) to turn the wood into a nice slick fin.
I'm assuming its also hardening the fins due to the addition of whatever magic is soaking into the wood?? I could be wrong, though, and it may or may not add to the hardness of the wood.
P.S. - it smells horrible while applying, use plenty of venilation.

151.jpg

I'm late to this party but so happy to have discovered this stuff. One coat on plywood fins fills and seals nicely.

Attachments

• 15779167094525966453702667039598.jpg
    15779167094525966453702667039598.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 58
Just do a search on 'minwax' in the search box in the upper right corner. You'll get a lot of threads where folks have actually used it and what their results were.

Tony

Back