Woo new hobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I might have mentioned I was going to buy a powerkite but today I was in town with some friends and I bought one! If it means anything to any of you i got a Purple Flexifoil Bullet 2.5 with Handles. It was pretty expensive (so I'm now very skint) and my parents havn't been told the full price. :D

My friend got pretty excited by the prospect of flying the kite we left the shop and found a field despite the fact there was no wind! So I set up my kite with my two friends singing "Lets go fly a kite, up to the highest height."

Finally everything was ready, the wasn't much wind except the occasional gust, but I pulled on the handles and jogged backwards. It filled with air and rose upwards, then when I stopped it crumpled and fell the ground. No put off we tried again and this time one of the gusts came whilst it was in the air, I was pulled forward with a huge grin on my face. Just for those few seconds it felt like the lines were attached to a house...fantastic!

We packed it up following a few more attempts and I'm now sat here waiting for wind!

Thanks to AndyC for all the advice he gave me through PMs...you were right, it's addictive!

Is that the kind that'll lift you up in the air with it? Sounds cool.

I did a swift Google to see what your new toy looks like. This is what I found. - WOW Mike! That looks the business! :D I've got a mate whos into powerkites; I've had a go on one of his gurt huge 4-line jobs, and it is FANTASTIC!!!! I'm more of a stunt kite fan, myself.

Got any plans for using the kite for traction? Landboard, buggy, surfboard?

BTW: I can see why your keeping the price secret from your folks!! Lol
;)

Yep that'd be it. I'd like to have a go on a Landboard/Buggy but the wallet is remarkably light (and will stay so for some time)

I laid it out in the living room to show my Mum where "all that money" had gone. It seems a lot bigger than it did on the field, I've attached a pic.

And it doesn't require a hill like a streetluge does...hmmm.

shrox

I'm on Lake Huron and I've seen guys use those with windsurfers.

Don't think it would work on my 230 pound frame.

sandman

If you want to launch rockets, take your kite and the winds will die to nothing.

If you want to fly kites, take your rockets and the wind will gust and howl.

Of course, if you bring both sets of gear I am not sure what will happen.

Mike - welcome to the wonderful world of power kiting. Glad you went for the Bullet - top kites! Just remember to take it easy, and never forget that mother nature ALWAYS has the upper hand!! If you haven't already, join the forum on www.flexifoil.com (I'm on there, same user name). We're a friendly bunch, and can help ease the learning curve. You're right, they can be a little expensive - but worth every single penny!!

Just for fun, attached picture of my latest baby - 6 metre Mac Bego.:D :D

cheers,

Andy.

Mike,

Get together with Carl Tulanko and I think you've got an X-Prize contender! :D

I've a mate whos into Surfing & BIG kites. When he was living in the Caymen Islands (lucky s*d), he used to combine the two very sucessfully. A swift Google on kites & surfing should turn up some info.

Thanks,

I'm heading to the Caymens in July (not too far from us), maybe I can rent a rig on the beach.

There's lots of info on Kitesurfing on the net, i think it can take a while to learn though.

Hopefully I'll get out with my kite this weekend if the weathers cooperative, ie. not too little/much wind and definately no rain! Can't wait!

I got out again with it today, all I can say is wow!

Wind was pretty low to begin with and I often had to jog backwards to keep it flying. It got some great power and I was working hard to keep upright. My friends had a go with it...didn't go too well but we had fun.

Then things began to change, the wind picked up! I fell over lots of times then made the great discovery that I could use the kite to lift me from my back to my feet...so cool! I had go at jumping too. The kite I bought doesn't generate that much lift (more pull) but I still got about foot into the air.

The best moment (albeit a little scary) was when I'd fallen over backwards. My friends were laughing at me when the kite suddennly pulled, turned me round and I was dragged along on my back unable to see the kite. I let go of the handles so the "Kite Killers" attached to my wrists would kick in, these brought the kite nicely to the ground and stop my slide.

Sadly it started to rain so we had to pack up :( but I'm now very much addicted!

Mike - LOL - the bug has really bitten hasn't it !!

Just got back from Pendine Sands (a 7mile stretch of flat straight beach for you non-brits). 6 metre kite, and buggy - clocked a top speed of 36mph!!!:D Doesn't sound that fast, but when your backside is 4" from the floor, it feels a LOT faster!! This is my fastest ever run - well pleased!:D Attached a photo taken by my better half. All you non-kiters, - you just gotta try this:D :D

Andy.

Originally posted by andyc

Sure has!

I'm thinking of heading down to a beach so I can try scudding, wasn't really working on the grass today but I nearly got one going.

Either way I'm on my Half Term so no doubt I'll get out again!

Originally posted by andyc

Just got back from Pendine Sands (a 7mile stretch of flat straight beach for you non-brits). 6 metre kite, and buggy - clocked a top speed of 36mph!!!:D Doesn't sound that fast, but when your backside is 4" from the floor, it feels a LOT faster!! This is my fastest ever run - well pleased!:D Attached a photo taken by my better half. All you non-kiters, - you just gotta try this:D :D

Andy.

Pendine Sands , Is that near Tenby/Pembrokeshire?
-Karl

That's the one - kinda half way between Carmarthen and Tenby.
Used to host land-speed record attempts until the cars got too fast!! Best kiting beach in the UK.

Andy.

Yo AndyC, I visisted Pendine Sands when I was away hoping to fly model rockets there , but since I saw the size of the beach and the sign saying ' Danger Of Explosion ' , launching rockets there would boost that warning a little bit higher :p
I tried to get my stunt kite going but had no luck due to a lack of wind so I proceeded to spend the next 6 hours swimming in the sea , heck the waves there are gigantic! Perfect for a surfboard :D

Explosive... Wha?

For you powerkiters in the northwest, Seaside, Oregon has a really long beach that is pretty flat and smooth close to the water all the way. I rode a recumbent bike on it and wow, what a ride.

The beach is 7miles long , and about 6 miles of that is used by the Army daily for shooting practice. The targets are inside the base but any stray bullets land on the beach , pretty dangerous I know . So any amunition found on the beach is classed as esplosive. Thats why you carn't touch that beach with a metal detector :(

Originally posted by Karl
used by the Army daily for shooting practice
Thats a good reason not to launch rockets, if ever I've heard one. A bored squadie might start taking pot-shots at your Big Daddy! ;)

lol I was a bit scared of launching there for another reason , what if the Army dont know what model rockets are , and come charging out guns ablaze ordering you to get face down on the sand :eek: Fancy that!!

We held a round of the PKA cup (parakarting) down pendine a couple of months ago, and had to move the course markers TWICE to avoid mortar-shaped objects half-buried in the sand.

All good fun:eek: :eek:

WOW! I would of loved to see that! Has anyone ever walked the full 7miles before?

Originally posted by Karl
WOW! I would of loved to see that! Has anyone ever walked the full 7miles before?

LOL. I've got a photo of the shell somewhere. I'll dig it out and post it here if I can. I've run the kite buggy for about 4 miles, before the wind dropped:eek: :rolleyes: . Awesome place.

Cool! I thought it was just bullets they fired there.
Karl

Back