WM MGM-52 Lance 5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHays

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I am overlooking the Open Rocket file for this kit. I can't seem to find it. So I put all of the major components in Open Rocket to see where the CP is. With 16 oz of nose weight and loaded with a L-1420 motor, it is showing that the CP and the CG are basically sitting on top of one another. It came out to -0.048.
So basically I didn't know if anyone has the OR file for this rocket, or if anyone has built this kit and flown it with several different motors and recorded the altitudes. Or if nothing else, I just need the CP location.

Thank you!

Sorry work got in the way of hobby.
Yep no nose weight. I’ve flown mine on AT L850W, AT K1000B, and research 75mm 3 grain L1000 ish. Highest flight was the research L at 10,800ish. My favorite flight was the K1000, just cause I could see it the whole time.

@jd2cylman can comment here for (2) and (3) grain 75mm loads in his...
i flew mine on the 4g load last airfest
Yep no nose weight. I’ve flown mine on AT L850W, AT K1000B, and research 75mm 3 grain L1000 ish. Highest flight was the research L at 10,800ish. My favorite flight was the K1000, just cause I could see it the whole time.
no nose weight needed on the L1420 either ;)

What was the problem?
It was me. I am still learning all the in's and out's of Open Rocket. I found the tutorial and that helped me a lot. I didn't get my fin size right and didn't have the proper weights for the components. And component material. Maybe it's normal, but I am getting different altitudes between OR and Thrust Curve. So once I actually do fly, I will record everything for my particular rocket.

I hate when work gets in the way of the hobby, lol

Thank you for the info.

So on yours, are you using the 1/4 x 20'Tubular Kevlar for the HED?

And did you attach your main chute directly to the top of the av-bay lid?

Thanks for the info!

It was me. I am still learning all the in's and out's of Open Rocket. I found the tutorial and that helped me a lot. I didn't get my fin size right and didn't have the proper weights for the components. And component material. Maybe it's normal, but I am getting different altitudes between OR and Thrust Curve. So once I actually do fly, I will record everything for my particular rocket.
The drag coefficient on Thrustcurve.org is just a guess, whereas on OpenRocket it is modeled and calculated. If you've entered things correctly, OR should give you a more accurate result, unless somehow you now the exact Cd of your rocket and can enter it into Thrustcurve.org.

If you have any questions about your OR model just post the file here and we can review.

The drag coefficient on Thrustcurve.org is just a guess, whereas on OpenRocket it is modeled and calculated. If you've entered things correctly, OR should give you a more accurate result, unless somehow you now the exact Cd of your rocket and can enter it into Thrustcurve.org.

If you have any questions about your OR model just post the file here and we can review.
I appreciate it!

Thank you

I hate when work gets in the way of the hobby, lol

Thank you for the info.

So on yours, are you using the 1/4 x 20'Tubular Kevlar for the HED?

And did you attach your main chute directly to the top of the av-bay lid?

Thanks for the info!

Yup, 1/4" Kevlar in the nose. For HED builds, I ALWAYS fasten the chute to the AV bay lid. No exceptions. Ejection charge holders in the tip of the nose. If the nosecone comes off, the chute is out. It'll be the same way on my 6" Punisher too.

Yup, 1/4" Kevlar in the nose. For HED builds, I ALWAYS fasten the chute to the AV bay lid. No exceptions. Ejection charge holders in the tip of the nose. If the nosecone comes off, the chute is out. It'll be the same way on my 6" Punisher too.
Sounds great. I will set mine up that way.

Thank you!

Back