WM Eagle Claw Sport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, even though I told myself I would not start a new build until I completed the four rockets currently on my work table, I couldn't resist starting this one. It's a Wildman Eagle Claw Sport. Received it as a Christmas present from GF.

So here I go again...

Side note: When I was about to start this thread, the following quote came to mind.
"Come a day there won’t be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don’t push me, and I won’t push you."
Captain Malcolm Reynolds - Firefly

I began this about a week ago. I have made decent progress considering my usual pace. :p
Eagle Claw Advert 4.png
Eagle Claw - Recovery Anchor_Complete-Small.jpg
Recovery Anchor
Eagle Claw - Recovery Anchor_Installed-Small.jpg
Recovery Anchor installed
Eagle Claw - MMT_Complete-Small.jpg
CR's epoxied to MMT with Rocketpoxy
Eagle Claw - MMT_Installed-Small.jpg
MMT installed
Eagle Claw - Fwd Fins Attached-Small.jpg
Fins installed with Rocketpoxy

Today I had time to inject the first of six internal fillets.

BTW, I created an animated gif of the color scheme using screen grabs from OpenRocket's Photo Studio. Unfortunately it is too large to post in this thread. In planning on redoing the gif with half the number of frames used in the original. That should get it under the 5MB forum limit.

Till next time.

Last night I cut 10mm off the end of the tailcone to allow the GLR 29mm Quik-Lok retainer to pass through. Then I used my Dremel to bevel the inside edge a touch to complete the fitting.
Eagle Claw - Tailcone + Quik-Lok Retainer-Small.jpg

A bit later today I'll inject fillet #4.

Yesterday I had a little time to install the blind nut for the aft rail button in the shoulder of the tailcone.
Eagle Claw - Tailcone Rail Button Mount-Small.jpg

And today finished up the business end of the Eagle Claw.
Eagle Claw - Aft End Installed-Small.jpg

The whole affair required using three different epoxies simultaneously. Aeropoxy for attaching tailcone to airframe, JB Weld for the retainer and Rocketpoxy to install tail fins. I didn't think I could pull this operation off without mucking something up, but it was a complete success.

Does the kit still come with the snap ring motor retainer? I built the Eagle Claw sport a few years ago. Using the quick lok retainer seems like a better choice. I also had to about 5 oz. to NC to make it stable.

Last night I completed my homemade NC tracker mount.
Eagle Claw - NC Tracker Mount_Components-Small.jpg
The plywood bulkhead is a built up affair. Used a 2-1/8" hole saw to cut two disks out of 3/16" ply, and epoxied them together. Then the perimeter was wrapped with an epoxy soaked 1/2" strip cut from a Madcow paper coupler.

The set screws were also homemade using 6-32 Stainless Steel screws. Screw tips cut to 7/16". the cut ends were then slotted using my Dremel with an emery cutoff wheel.

Last edited:
Does the kit still come with the snap ring motor retainer? I built the Eagle Claw sport a few years ago. Using the quick lok retainer seems like a better choice. I also had to about 5 oz. to NC to make it stable.
Sorry timbucktoo, I totally missed your post. Yes, the kit does come with a retainer but I really, really like GLR's Quik-Lok toolless design.
Having the SMT 54mm End Mount Tracker Sled (Link), 1000 mAh LiPo and EggFinder tracker all tucked into the NC negates the need for nose weight.

A bit more progress today.
Eagle Claw - NC Shoulder Installed + Tracker-Small.jpg
NC mod complete.
Eagle Claw - Tailcone Flairing 01-Small.jpg
Used Rocketpoxy for the first stage of flaring tailcone into retainer. Sanding is next followed up with a dose of Bondo spot putty and more sanding...

Oh lardy it's been awhile since this thread last saw any action....

Well this morning before work I finally finished the external fillets on this bird! They turned out pretty well me thinks. I'll post a pic later.

Oh lardy it's been awhile since this thread last saw any action....

Well this morning before work I finally finished the external fillets on this bird! They turned out pretty well me thinks. I'll post a pic later.
Haven't seen you for awhile. What you been up to?

Haven't seen you for awhile. What you been up to?

Hiya Crossfire!

Between getting married in 2020 and the whole pandemic thing, life has kept me fairly tied down for the last two years. I am hoping to get my feet wet doing some dual deploy flights this summer. Need to gain experience with BP and electronics before I start working on my L3 project.

Anyhoot, what is new with you? I hope all is well.

Last Wednesday evening I decided to touch up the fillets so I applied some Bondo to them. Today I had time sand it all down.

Eagle Claw - The Ripley (Bondo)-Small.jpg

It was just barely warm enough outside this afternoon for spray painting so I applied my first coat of primer. I'll have to wait a full week before the temps around here are again suitable for painting... :(

Progress!!!

First base coat applied.

Eagle Claw - First Base Coat-Small.jpg

Trying Tamiya TS lacquers for the first time ever. I am kinda impressed with them. Tamiya sets really fast so no runs but coverage is a tad thin. That said, I'll take the thin coats over runs any time.

Base coat Color: Tamiya TS-47 Chrome yellow
1st Trim Color: Tamiya TS-56 Brilliant Orange
2nd Trim Color: Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red
3rd Trim Color: Tamiya TS-14 Black

Over the weekend, I completed all the touch ups. On Saturday I fixed the over spray on the tailcone and tail fin roots. On Sunday I fixed the red diamond at the main fin root. Then I clear coated the airframe but only had enough Tamiya clear for one coat. If this rocket does not fly before MWP, I will use the last of the 2K clear I plan to use on my Stinger build, to give this color scheme some more protection.

And to complete this bird, this morning I installed the airfoilded 1010 rail buttons and 12.5 feet of Kevlar shock cord.

My Eagle Claw sport is now finished.

Back