WM Bad Dog 98

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powderman

Reaction score
Has anyone built a Bad Dog 98 from Wildman yet? I was just looking for specs like length and weight, curious how it went together?
I did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Powderman

i havent built one, but i do have experience with WM

specs are on the WM site. confident that this will be solid build.

pull the trigger and let her rip!

It's about a spittin' image of Madcow/RW Mad Dog which I built years ago & it's a great flyer. Mine is 87" & weighs 12.8 lbs.

I have build WM, and I have built a MD, but not WM's MD. I substituted a 75mm mount, added a 4th fin, fixed the coupler to the main body tube, mounted a motor-retainer/mount bulkhead in the coupler, and used the NC coupler as the av bay with the main chute up in the nose. This allows motors to 48" long. Worked wonderfully as an L3 project and will fly with some large KNER motor in the near future.

Yeah, I'm lovin' the nosecone, but 54mm MMT on a 4" rocket? I'd be picking up some bigger stuff to upgrade it.
For someone new to the hobby (me), there are many more 54mm DMS motors available than 75mm. Will I get big hardware someday? Probably. Would I rather spend money on rockets than motor hardware and get into the air right now? Yes.

For someone new to the hobby (me), there are many more 54mm DMS motors available than 75mm. Will I get big hardware someday? Probably. Would I rather spend money on rockets than motor hardware and get into the air right now? Yes.
there are only 2 DMS 75 mm
and only 7 DMS 54mm
Reloads are the way to go more variety and less $ per flight .

Absolutely, and you can bet that Wildman knows this. That is why he built it that way. Sharon and I have 17 54mm MMT rockets, and 11 of them are Wildman's. By far the most flown rockets in our fleet.
One of my 75mm MMT rockets is a 5" Jart, which Tim helped me design a donut avbay for when I converted it from a 54mm to a 75mm MMT. He will literally build anything you can dream up, and do it right.

im making headway on mine slowly but surely -

Attachments

• 20201113_165107.jpg
    20201113_165107.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20201117_191244.jpg
    20201117_191244.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201117_191225.jpg
    20201117_191225.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 83
It's about a spittin' image of Madcow/RW Mad Dog which I built years ago & it's a great flyer. Mine is 87" & weighs 12.8 lbs.

What motor/motors did you fly it on and any altitudes ?
12.8 is pretty light, I assume you build it stock ?

I also have the RW Mad Dog, kept the 54 MMT and added a tail cone, otherwise stock.. Mine is 94.75 in long and weighs 12.3 lbs. It is a great flier on J's and K's Simmed altitudes: AMW J365 skid - 2890 ft Aerotech J415W- 3556 ft. K456DM- 3830 ft. K550W- 5226 ft. K 535W DMS 4628 ft.
Usually RocSim over estimates the altitude but with this rocket it has been under estimating the altitudes by 300-600 ft. Plenty of altitude for me, and then there are other brands of 54mm. motors that will put it higher yet.

MD-DD.jpg

What motor/motors did you fly it on and any altitudes ?
12.8 is pretty light, I assume you build it stock ?
Mine came with the 54mm MMT. Yes pretty much stock but built pretty solid. Have only flown on K’s and altitude varies from 4100’ to 6600’ depending on motor.

Mine came with the 54mm MMT. Yes pretty much stock but built pretty solid. Have only flown on K’s and altitude varies from 4100’ to 6600’ depending on motor.

Got ya - I did the 75mm mount and did some upgrades, should be around 14-15 lbs dry. now you guys got my wishing I built it 54mm .
It originally was going to be my L-3 rocket and do it somewhere like GRITS or BAMABLAST .
as Im not all warm and fuzzy about 10k @ Varn. We will see, a 2gr 75 :rolleyes:Hmmmm

Last edited:
Got ya - I did the 75mm mount and got really aggressive with upgrades, should be around 14-15 lbs dry. now you guys got my wishing I built it 54mm .
It originally was going to be my L-3 rocket and do it somewhere like GRITS or BAMABLAST .
as Im not all warm and fuzzy about 10k @ Varn. We will see, a 2gr 75 :rolleyes:Hmmmm
You can always fly it with 54’s using AeroPack adapter.

Got ya - I did the 75mm mount and got really aggressive with upgrades, should be around 14-15 lbs dry. now you guys got my wishing I built it 54mm .

You can always fly it with 54’s using AeroPack adapter.

This here...^^
But the 2 grain 75's from both AT and CTI are cheaper than than the AT and CTI 6 grain and 6 XL grain 54mm motors. Maybe a few less choices, but not by much and $20.00 a load saved is well, more fun in the long run...

I can verify the L1000 discussion.. granted I did lengthen my booster by 12 inches, but it does fit and the 4" MD does very well on it.. pictures attached. Mine will be on a 75mm M at AF next year.

Great choice with this kit, it's a sporty performer and it has a great look to it.

All the credit for these pictures goes to the one, the only, Harry Spears.

Belle Air L1000 3TX.jpgBelle L1000 3TX:Trees.jpgBelle L1000W 3TX.png

This here...^^
But the 2 grain 75's from both AT and CTI are cheaper than than the AT and CTI 6 grain and 6 XL grain 54mm motors. Maybe a few less choices, but not by much and $20.00 a load saved is well, more fun in the long run...
Depends if you have the 75 hardware if its cheaper

I remember that, he needed some 75mm closures to get the Mega Wildman up. That was an event!
IMG_6261.JPG
But I really shouldn't be involved in a discussion about motor hardware.... Then there is Sharon to consider, she is worse than me about that stuff, especially snap ring hardware.

Anyone from this thread have a rocksim / openrocket file created for the WM Bad Dog 98?

I picked one up at black friday with the 54mm retainer and was hoping someone had done most of the drag and drop already so i could save some time :)

I have one that is setup for mine, the booster is 12” longer otherwise it’s the same. Happy to give it to you, send me your email.

Back